Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mcdragracer - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: mcdragracer
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Yesterday
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Hello, giving Rick some Well Appreciative Positive Feedback on a job well done on my vintage late 80’s Dellorto 40 DRLA’s as he indicated that he thinks they were made around for they were suffering from some ailments.

What I had going on, which was part new situation plus an old situation that a previous
rebuilder missed(3,000 miles prior) was some after mkt. idle jet holders and main jet holders were not in the micrometer spec. range that the Dellorto are manufactured within. What he found which to me he indicated was an issue, plus made since to me is that I was going through a lot of O-Rings on the Idle Jet Holders as I needed to pull for both tuning and cleaning out clogged jets. Simply put, as Rick said, the after mkt. idle jet holder had a larger measured O-Ring Seat than OEM DRLA’s have, thus not allowing the O-Rings to seat right in against the inner wall of the Idle Jet Holders, thus, splitting it upon inserting and tightening the holder it self. Thing is the after mkt. jet holder was going in but being that these carbs were new to me from a samba vendor, I did not know this was an issue, tearing up all the O-Rings. So, now, since Rick put in the OEM Dellorto DRLA Idle Jet Holders, I hope that I will not be tearing up as many O-Rings when pulling them in and out. By the way, I don’t think there was an issue with the Main Jet Holders, but I went all in and got a nice matching set of Main Jet Holders to go with the Idle Jet Holders, so yep, both Main an Idle Jet Holders that were after mkt. went bye-bye….

Now, here you go on an issue that lead to me having to send the carbs out to Rick in the first place. I had continuous clogging of my jets. Tried everything thing, new rubber lines, new fuel filters(3), flushed metal fuel line, new tank, and so on. But what Rick found for I was not really
up to pulling the carbs apart myself for I could not find a good legible schematic on them, is
that Rick found that I had a Float Dematerializing…. On one particular Dell Float, you can
see were some foreign chemical got to it, being gas, or something made the Float simply fall
apart. So, I guess this was one of the main culptrets clogging my jets.

But yes, Rick did an Awesome Job on my carbs, plenary of Photos, Correspondence, and One
on One time when putting the carbs back onto my 2180 and some minute tuning.

Also, Rick noticed I was running after mkt. Air Filter Housings, so we chatted on that. Thing is
as I mentioned to him, they simply were what came with the carbs, and they worked. Plus I did
mention I run the the R2C’s Air Filters which work very well and require no oiling…. So, I thought it out there and asked Rick if he had a lead on some Dell DRLA Air Filter Housings, the casted aluminum ones, he said, not issue, he could get them.

By the way, not to leave it out, all my parts & carb bodies in the photos he sent me both email & texting, all the parts were spotless do to the use of his Ultra-Sonic Cleaner he uses. Everything was all nice and shiny, elevating any slight tarnishing they even once had.. Clean as
as butter as some say….

So, now since the engine is back together and was able to get some test driving in the car seams fine and running great. As for tuning, to cover it, I mentioned to Rick before sending out the carbs that the carbs were tuned and engine ran very good with the exception of the clogging. And if he could and if it made since to simply count all the turns on everything, hoping that once the carbs were back on it would just be a minimal amount of fiddling..

Ok, so since everything worked out, there is a a Job Well Done for Mr. RIck Hunt(mcdragracer).

Below is a final product shot of my engine set-up and running, and thanks for the help Mr. Rick, could not have done it and a job well Done, Expidited and in a Quick Timely Fashion…. Smile. RB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Martin Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

thank you Rick!
I bought him a set of throttle plates for my Webers 36mm
I just want to say, He is a very responsable person, very attentive and the shippings are fast, and if he doesn't have it, he gets it!!!
I would buy to him again in future purchases

Now my carburetors are working very good

And anew Thank you Rick!

Martin
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

OK. I sent a pair of 45 Dells to this guy and I'm pretty sure all he did was put them through this washing machine:

Seriously, that washing machine does a great job.

I'm very happy. You will be too.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Just had a couple of months back and forth with Rick and trying to figure out/find carbs for my engine. He has been beyond helpful and willing to talk. I can't recommend him enough.
rver98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Rick is outstanding at his work. I would highly recommend him for all your carburlator needs. He was so kind to respond to me today and walk me through issues I might be having trying to get my dual 44 Webers running correctly. I can't thank him enough for his time and patience. Good to see people like Rick still exist in our society today. Smile
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

I sent Rick one of my 36 Dells that had been flooding constantly for quite some time.

I had taken it apart and had gone through it. Took it to a local friend who works in a VW shop. Still ended up with flooding issues

I thought it might have the Dell drip.

Rick went through it thoroughly and found the needle was bent.
he checked for Dell drip and reported that it was not present.

He completely stripped and cleaned all parts, greased bearings.
The carb looked brand new when I got it back.

Car now runs like a dream.

Thanks Rick for the great service

Greg.
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

I bought a set of Ricks 28mm venturies for my 36mm dellortos. They look great and are very well made. Great communication and fast delivery. You won’t be disappointed.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

THe backfire was driving me crazy, so I figured may as well have my carbs rebuilt, do a tune up, and valve adjustment. I had a set of 30 year old 36 Dells that were on my 914 and I rebuilt them 20 years ago. These old carbs needed a pro build after all those years. Guys from this NG started to send me Personal Emails as to who they recommended. I called Rich Hunt from Simi Valley Calif.
He asked for all the specs on my engine and said not only will he rebuild my carbs, he will also customize it for my engine. Trust is what you look for in a rebuilder and that came fast, from the day he received my carbs. He said don't clean them I want to see them exactly as they looked when I removed them.
He sent me photos of my dirty carbs totally disassembled. Then Photos and videos of my every part in one photo cleaned. A video of how my butterflies were sticking and then cleaned with new bearing installed.

Photo showing Soda blasting the carb bodies. Emails and calls asking questions and as the rebuild progressed. It took 4 weeks to get the carbs back. Now had a new issue on 3 an 4 cylinder side. Told Rich I did not think it was the carb but he said send it back and he will recheck everything. A week later I received it back with cash to pay for my shipping to him.

I was about to take my bug to friend that does Exotic Cars and even Ratrods.

Rich called me and Joe I wish I was not 3000mile away so I could give you a hand. Let me hear the engine I started it and he said sounds like you have ignition wires crossed. I said no way, never touched them, I forgot I painted my fanhousing and removed some wires. Sure enough 3 and 4 cables were reversed.

He set my fuel mixture screws and idle screws to 1000 rpm and that is what my engine idled at. Out of the box the engine runs much better. Just have to retime and adjust mixture.

His price for a rebuild is $120 a carb plus and thing extra. Worth every penny.
Rich is Pro Motorcycle racer.

Any questions or if you want photos PM me
[email protected]
The Type IV Upright Conversion Manual

(I copy and pasted for a customer) 'Rick mcdragracer'
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

I recently purchased a vintage German muffler (I hate hammering after-market junk to force it to fit) from mcdragracer. His price was fair, the muffler is in excellent condition, and fits perfectly.

I even got some cash back because the shipping turned out to be slightly less than estimated. Anyone else would have pocketed the difference so I'm blown away by his integrity.

So if you're considering making a purchase, you can do so with confidence knowing you'll be treated well and get the parts you need at a fair price.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had Rich go through my drla's 36 . The pictures show a work of art. He gave me excellent advice so far, I'll report back when I have them installed. He's one of the people we all learn from and benefit from in the hobby. Excellent work and communication! I can't wait to ditch my kads...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

To all who left feedback I very much do appreciate all the kind words.
I do my best to be as thorough on a description on a part I sell, transaction, communication etc, and rebuilding carburetors, I very much do take pride in my Hands-On work, and if anyone would have questions related to carburetors I'm always here to answer a question regardless of time frame, thanks again everyone for all the positive feedback!

Rick (mcdragracer)
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had Rick rebuild a set of 40 DRLA's back in January. I warned him it would be a while before I was able to install them since I'm in Virginia and the car was back in NY with my father. I was home for a few days last week, and installed the carbs, and got the engine fired up. What a difference they made! I thought the car was running ok originally, but after Rick when through the carbs, it runs like a modern car. Started up and held an idle immediately out of the box, extremely easy to tune. I just had to balance them with a few quick adjustments to reach my desired idle RPM and adjust the linkage. Mixture screws were right on out of the box. I had one issue on install (which ended up being my own stupidity), and a quick call to Rick was quick to solve it. He was extremely helpful and willing to offer support even 6 months after the fact.
David Miskov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Sent Rick my 45 DRLAs which I had been having trouble with for a while. After he replaced what needed to be replaced , cleaned everything, and set them up they work great. They were easier to set up and get to run properly. I am very happy I sent my carbs to Rick and would recommend him to anyone thinking they need a carb rebuild.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Bought some dellorto 45s from Rick. Very pleasant experience, great customer service, good communication, honest and the carbs look beautiful. Jetting seems darn close too!

Highly recommend purchasing from him. Very impressed. He was rebuilding the carbs when I saw his ad. He kept me informed and sent pics during the process.

Thanks!
rick99gsx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

I just wanted to take a quick moment to thank Rick for the amazing work he did to my Dellortos. These carburetors were in pretty rough shape before he did his magic. I truly wish more vendors would be at least half as good as Rick! He always kept in the loop and sent me plenty of pictures of his progress. Hope to get this bad boy going soon!

If you are on the fence for whatever reason, don't! he was an absolute pleasure to work with and if I ever need his services again I will not hesitate.

ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Had an issue with one carb I purchased from Rick, #3 cylinder wasn’t firing. I checked everything and couldn’t get it to work. He offered to fix it and send it back without charge. So I sent the one carb back, he found an issue and fixed it. Runs great.

Most people are great until something goes wrong. Rick was awesome the whole time! Highly recommend him.
rver98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying that Rick is a great guy who is willing to help u with all ur carb needs. He's knowledgeable, reasonable and very particular with cleaning the carbs. I bought two kits and rebuilt my 44 Webers, however they needed a deeper cleaning that I was not able to do. Rick cleaned these so well,I could eat off of them.
Handsdown this guy knows his s***. U won't be disappointed...
Greg
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:53 pm Post subject: McDragracer Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
just wanted to say it was great dealing with Rick. what a nice guy, worked with me on my Dellorto parts and any help when I needed it. not to many people like this anymore, a BIG thanks.
Jay D.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: McDragracer Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
Rick's level and have it...

Excellent job, and resourceful.

I love the Dell Chirp as well.. RB
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: mcdragracer - [email protected] Reply with quote

Rick did an outstanding job rebuilding my Dellorto 36 DRLAs. He does so much more than cleaning and slapping a rebuild kit in the carbs. He asks about them, how they've been performing, and any issues noticed. He's meticulous in his disassembly, taking notes of what he finds that may need attention. Communication during the rebuild is excellent, and often includes progress photos. Like many others, my carbs came back not only looking perfect, but balanced and adjusted so that all it took was bolting them on, priming, and the engine fired right over. From there check the side-to-side sync and idle mix, and drive on down the road. My car has been such a treat to start and drive since getting the carbs back from Rick.

If you need DRLA's or IDF's rebuilt you should look no further than Rick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: