Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

BTW, aftermarket billet TBs are smooth as silk.

And sexy looking!
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:

I purchased a motor which was stored indoors for maybe 13 years, and it was said to have 4000 miles on it. After completion the engine fired up immediately and idled great. After about 600 miles I took a compression test, 3 cylinders were 180-185 and 1 was 45 psi. with 80% leakage.

Lest anyone think it came from the yard in this condition, and couldn't have worked trouble free for many miles, the engine (according to Bassyaks) was free revved to the limiter after it popped out of gear on the highway during wide open throttle. Free revving an engine is one of the worst things you can do for those that aren't familiar. Compression before was 185 across the board.

I have no idea why he wouldn't mention this, as it's completely relevant, and it makes it sound like the engines are at higher risk of showing up in poor condition than they are. The chances of sourcing a zetec with a problem in the long block site unseen from a yard still stands at less than .5% across more than 500. A GW rebuild has a 5% chance of failure for comparison. Subaru's are also much higher, but nobody with that data is likely to publish it, which is why I'd like to simply stick my money where my mouth is to demonstrate the reality of the situation.

.5% chance is the number to know. Which is why Bostig is going to be warrantying site unseen engines sourced by end users to 50K. This engine will be the first warranty coverage, even though it was accidentally abused to generate the failure.

I challenge the other conversion vendors out there to warranty their customer's site unseen engines as well Very Happy I suspect they will not follow suit. So even though we don't have all the numbers we'd like for failure rates of Subaru based conversions, the proof is in the pudding as it were.

Cheers,
Jim Akiba
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

And that statement, Jim, is why I was really bummed that the Bostig conversion wasn't an option for me in CA. Kudos, sir!
Some people call him Maurice...
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

This is unheard of, I asked Jim if he was serious and he informed me that he was. I was speechless, this attests to Bostigs commitment to stand behind Their product.
I'm going start shopping for another motor, with a couple of good leads already, but would really like to stumble across a factory long block.
Thanks
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

bostig wrote:
Bassyaks wrote:

I purchased a motor which was stored indoors for maybe 13 years, and it was said to have 4000 miles on it. After completion the engine fired up immediately and idled great. After about 600 miles I took a compression test, 3 cylinders were 180-185 and 1 was 45 psi. with 80% leakage.

Lest anyone think it came from the yard in this condition, and couldn't have worked trouble free for many miles, the engine (according to Bassyaks) was free revved to the limiter after it popped out of gear on the highway during wide open throttle. Free revving an engine is one of the worst things you can do for those that aren't familiar. Compression before was 185 across the board.

I have no idea why he wouldn't mention this, as it's completely relevant, and it makes it sound like the engines are at higher risk of showing up in poor condition than they are. The chances of sourcing a zetec with a problem in the long block site unseen from a yard still stands at less than .5% across more than 500. A GW rebuild has a 5% chance of failure for comparison. Subaru's are also much higher, but nobody with that data is likely to publish it, which is why I'd like to simply stick my money where my mouth is to demonstrate the reality of the situation.

.5% chance is the number to know. Which is why Bostig is going to be warrantying site unseen engines sourced by end users to 50K. This engine will be the first warranty coverage, even though it was accidentally abused to generate the failure.

I challenge the other conversion vendors out there to warranty their customer's site unseen engines as well Very Happy I suspect they will not follow suit. So even though we don't have all the numbers we'd like for failure rates of Subaru based conversions, the proof is in the pudding as it were.

Cheers,
Jim Akiba

Wow. As if I needed any more reasons to confirm my choice. This is amazing.
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

I highly doubt any Subaru conversion vendors will follow suit.

Bostig Baby Exclamation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: