Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

I highly doubt any Subaru conversion vendors will follow suit.

Bostig Baby Exclamation
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

bostig wrote:
Bassyaks wrote:

I purchased a motor which was stored indoors for maybe 13 years, and it was said to have 4000 miles on it. After completion the engine fired up immediately and idled great. After about 600 miles I took a compression test, 3 cylinders were 180-185 and 1 was 45 psi. with 80% leakage.

Lest anyone think it came from the yard in this condition, and couldn't have worked trouble free for many miles, the engine (according to Bassyaks) was free revved to the limiter after it popped out of gear on the highway during wide open throttle. Free revving an engine is one of the worst things you can do for those that aren't familiar. Compression before was 185 across the board.

I have no idea why he wouldn't mention this, as it's completely relevant, and it makes it sound like the engines are at higher risk of showing up in poor condition than they are. The chances of sourcing a zetec with a problem in the long block site unseen from a yard still stands at less than .5% across more than 500. A GW rebuild has a 5% chance of failure for comparison. Subaru's are also much higher, but nobody with that data is likely to publish it, which is why I'd like to simply stick my money where my mouth is to demonstrate the reality of the situation.

.5% chance is the number to know. Which is why Bostig is going to be warrantying site unseen engines sourced by end users to 50K. This engine will be the first warranty coverage, even though it was accidentally abused to generate the failure.

I challenge the other conversion vendors out there to warranty their customer's site unseen engines as well Very Happy I suspect they will not follow suit. So even though we don't have all the numbers we'd like for failure rates of Subaru based conversions, the proof is in the pudding as it were.

Cheers,
Jim Akiba

Wow. As if I needed any more reasons to confirm my choice. This is amazing.
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

This is unheard of, I asked Jim if he was serious and he informed me that he was. I was speechless, this attests to Bostigs commitment to stand behind Their product.
I'm going start shopping for another motor, with a couple of good leads already, but would really like to stumble across a factory long block.
Thanks
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

And that statement, Jim, is why I was really bummed that the Bostig conversion wasn't an option for me in CA. Kudos, sir!
Some people call him Maurice...
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:

I purchased a motor which was stored indoors for maybe 13 years, and it was said to have 4000 miles on it. After completion the engine fired up immediately and idled great. After about 600 miles I took a compression test, 3 cylinders were 180-185 and 1 was 45 psi. with 80% leakage.

Lest anyone think it came from the yard in this condition, and couldn't have worked trouble free for many miles, the engine (according to Bassyaks) was free revved to the limiter after it popped out of gear on the highway during wide open throttle. Free revving an engine is one of the worst things you can do for those that aren't familiar. Compression before was 185 across the board.

I have no idea why he wouldn't mention this, as it's completely relevant, and it makes it sound like the engines are at higher risk of showing up in poor condition than they are. The chances of sourcing a zetec with a problem in the long block site unseen from a yard still stands at less than .5% across more than 500. A GW rebuild has a 5% chance of failure for comparison. Subaru's are also much higher, but nobody with that data is likely to publish it, which is why I'd like to simply stick my money where my mouth is to demonstrate the reality of the situation.

.5% chance is the number to know. Which is why Bostig is going to be warrantying site unseen engines sourced by end users to 50K. This engine will be the first warranty coverage, even though it was accidentally abused to generate the failure.

I challenge the other conversion vendors out there to warranty their customer's site unseen engines as well Very Happy I suspect they will not follow suit. So even though we don't have all the numbers we'd like for failure rates of Subaru based conversions, the proof is in the pudding as it were.

Cheers,
Jim Akiba
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

BTW, aftermarket billet TBs are smooth as silk.

And sexy looking!
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Thasty, disconnect for both ends to see if the cable is the problem

Fran, the head was pulled in the van everything was disconnected and stayed in the van except for the exhaust manifold, it's a quick easy job, also removed #1 piston with the block in the van, that's the only cylinder that you can do that to.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah, it's anecdotal, which is the gospel of the samba (not a surprise, most users have experience with one or a couple setups, not hundreds). Don't worry. Just listen to me and not the samba and you'll be fine like the many hundreds of others. 130HP (if you're actually making it because things are running correctly and you followed instructions and got everything verified as running right with me) is quite a lot better than 90. Bigger tires kill acceleration much more than people understand and most think horsepower=acceleration which is a gross simplification. For MPGs (driving speed&wind, grade&weight, then ride height are the order of major impacts on mpgs in vanagons, bigger tires hit #3), stick to stock on tires, and gearing and have no fear. If you want to go bigger, you can, but too big and you'll hate it. Also I don't recommend those BFG AT. Look nice, not great value.

Jim

This has all made sense to me, and I know I looked into it before getting my current tires. I just did not think the 1.9 would do well with a "65 series" tire, going by diameter, so I did not go there. What I am more concerned is this 'flat spot' or something of the sort between the 3000 to 4000 RPM range. I feel my van lives in that current range most of its travels. I guess I am just taking to heart what folks are noticing with their recent conversions, not really knowing their entire set up. I am sure I will be super pleased with the power and reliability. I don't plan on putting on really large tires, just want to know what to watch out for. Thanks for all the input folks.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Quote:
Guys all my bitching about no power may be for naught.
I removed the head and inspected it, it was like new, so that left the cylinder, I filled the cylinder with carb clean and it held, however when I moved the piston up and down I noticed a ring of rust coming up along the edges of the piston. After inspecting the bad cylinder carefully I notice a ring in the bore that was about 3/4 of the way down,.
Here's what I surmised.
13 years ago the engine was put away with the #1 cylinder valves opened and all of the others closed, over the years a surface rust had built up, after running the engine for a few miles the rings cleaned off the rust, but being 3/4 of the way down some of the rust built up in the piston ring lands sticking the rings and allowing the blow by. Hopefully a few hours of soaking in PB and carb clean, with a little rotation the rings will loosen up

Holy cow! Shocked Is that your recently installed engine/conversion!? Did you pull the motor to then pull the head, etc!? Man, I hope I don't draw one like that. Good luck on the rehab for that one, hope it goes well.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

RJES makes and sells, by far the best Vanagon conversion throttle cable IMO.

I have tried them all.

Yes, I know Richard's products are pricey and must be imported.
Just sharing personal experience.

BTW, aftermarket billet TBs are smooth as silk.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

The throttle plate spring is pretty stiff when opening by hand, but of course you could have some sort of damage or obstruction. If everything looks good then it's most likely the cable is binding somewhere.
You want as large curves as possible.

On an editorial note, I have found the new one piece throttle cable is not as smooth as the older version. I'm guessing Bostig changed design to save some money.
I had to change my cable from the old style to the new in order to use the new Cobra head intake. Old was shorter and more closely matched the original Vanagon cable, with a more open design. The new style is more like a bike cable and one thing you can do is add some lube (Triflow, etc.) to the cable before installation to help.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
Check your cable maybe it was too close to the exhaust. Maybe too many bends, On the syncro I ran it down over the starter and than into the factory cable tube it's very straight. Disconnect both ends and see how it slides.
Good Luck

Quote:
When I operate the throttle by hand at the engine, it also feels very stiff to open but then is smooth after that.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Check your cable maybe it was too close to the exhaust. Maybe too many bends, On the syncro I ran it down over the starter and than into the factory cable tube it's very straight. Disconnect both ends and see how it slides.
Good Luck
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Heres just a general question for those who have had their install done for a while.

What does your gas pedal feel like.

I have noticed mine sticks right when I depress it, if its in a low gear it really jerks the van. I have looked at the throttle body and it looks free of debris. When I operate the throttle by hand at the engine, it also feels very stiff to open but then is smooth after that.

Anyone else experience this? I have cleaned the throttle body before and it had no effect.

So now, maybe the spring is too stiff?

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
thasty07 wrote:
bostig wrote:
Also I don't recommend those BFG AT. Look nice, not great value.

Jim

This is what I meant to elaborate on, I have lots of van peoples out here in the PNW that love em.

I have owned 3 sets of that tire either in the now NLA 14" size or 215/75/15 size.

My average price per tire mounted and balanced was $140.
My average distance traveled per set was 57,800 miles.

Great bang for the buck Exclamation

I check my pressures and alignment often Wink

Agreed, as soon at the AT tires we have on the van wear out, Im going with those. The KO2 apparently has a 10ply sidewall, much nicer for the lava rock we see here.

And my Bostig likes them (Had to toss in the bostig comment so we are still on topic Laughing )
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
bostig wrote:

Jim

This is what I meant to elaborate on, I have lots of van peoples out here in the PNW that love em.

I have owned 3 sets of that tire either in the now NLA 14" size or 215/75/15 size.

My average price per tire mounted and balanced was $140.
My average distance traveled per set was 57,800 miles.

Great bang for the buck Exclamation

I check my pressures and alignment often Wink
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

bostig wrote:

Jim

LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

bostig wrote:

Actually a DB meter can help, but unless you're also reading where in the spectrum it is, it's also of limited value.

As usual, you're spot on Jim Very Happy

I used a research grade db meter and did some comparative "loudness" testing, hoping to publish some objective numbers. I measured 3' from the exhaust tip as well as in the cabin while cruising on the freeway. While there were some differences, the subjective ear is a better judge of "perceived quiet" than the sound level meter. Comparing the Magnaflow and the 17904 for example, it's all about frequency. To my ear the 17904 was much quieter, especially in the cabin while cruising at speed - yet the db difference was not really significant at any of the 3 frequency spectrums I could choose on the sound level meter. Of course, in the cabin you're not just measuring the exhaust note . . . you're also measuring the cumulative road noise (wind, tires, tranny, etc). But clearly the Magnaflow is a "throatier" more aggressive sounding muffler.

The "Bostig spec Walker" and the 17904 were comparable to my subjective ears, but I preferred the 17904 based upon clearances and overall cost (including a separate tip needed for the 17904).

So, in search of a quiet cabin? There may be a quieter muffler out there that will fit easily, but you may be better off soundproofing the interior . . . that's the main improvement I made in making my cabin quieter. Most of the interior (behind dash, inside doors, floors etc are covered in sound damping material (hushmat) which also has a radiant barrier benefit.

My experience . . . please share your better "mousetraps."
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

Guys all my bitching about no power may be for naught.
I removed the head and inspected it, it was like new, so that left the cylinder, I filled the cylinder with carb clean and it held, however when I moved the piston up and down I noticed a ring of rust coming up along the edges of the piston. After inspecting the bad cylinder carefully I notice a ring in the bore that was about 3/4 of the way down,.
Here's what I surmised.
13 years ago the engine was put away with the #1 cylinder valves opened and all of the others closed, over the years a surface rust had built up, after running the engine for a few miles the rings cleaned off the rust, but being 3/4 of the way down some of the rust built up in the piston ring lands sticking the rings and allowing the blow by. Hopefully a few hours of soaking in PB and carb clean, with a little rotation the rings will loosen up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig RG4 and RG5 Install Groups Reply with quote

[quote="bostig"]
Franagon wrote:
This all does not give me the warm and fuzzies Confused Can someone lend some guidance here?

Care to elaborate?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: