Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake air preheating question - early cars with stock carbs
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Intake air preheating question - early cars with stock carbs Reply with quote

So last night before bed I was pleasure-reading the early Type 3 Bentley, as one does, when I came across an interesting tidbit about the intake air preheating system. I searched here about it but didn't find any mention of it.

So there's a note in the Bentley about the preheater flap in the intake air system which automatically toggles between cold outside air or preheated air depending on whatever it depends on. They note however that at times when the car will encounter temperatures around 50 degrees F or less the preheater flap should be free to move. But then it said that if the car will be encountering sustained temperatures above 50 degrees F, the preheater flap must be jammed so that it does not move freely and so that it only pulls cold outside air or else there may be "pinking" (so British) from the engine.

I thought that was interesting because in the owner's manual, the only mention of the preheater flap is to say "make sure it moves freely." It makes no mention of temperature ranges or jamming it closed in hot weather.

I know in later carb'ed VWs the intake air preheater flap was thermostatically controlled but it does not seem that this is the case on the early Type 3.

So does anyone know what the story is here? Do people really go and jam their preheater flap shut in the summer? I would certainly want to do so if I knew that it was not automatically pulling only (relatively) cool outside air for the engine intake.

Last edited by sjbartnik on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is almost always left in the 'jammed open' position since I only drive it during warm months to keep it out of the snow. The control box has a notch where the lever rests when 'jammed open' and it's relatively easy to move in/out of position.

I've never really noticed much of a change between 'always open' and 'free to move' - even on cold mornings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about early Type 3s, but early Bugs had this same advice like this form the '67 Owners Manual:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, good tidbit to know.
MagmaJctAz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, I think the issue is semantics.

In this regard, "fixed" does not mean it has to be "jammed" open at temps above 50F. What they mean is "fixed" as in "motionless" at temps above 50F.

That is, the thermostatic element is calibrated in such a way the flaps remain open to cooler air, regardless of engine speed.

Yet, when temps are below 50F, the flaps will be free to move with engine speed. That is, at idle/low speed, the flaps will be closed to cooler air, admitting hotter air. As engine speed increases, the increased flow of air will counteract the weights and allow cooler air it.

Essentially, the thermostatic control "inhibits" motion above 50F. Think of it as a "lock-out". Enjoy!

Regards,
Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: