Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

Just got my '58 back on the road for the first time in maybe 40 years. Stock original tranny, bus has 82,000 mi. All new shifting linkage/couplers/bushings. Didn't rebuild tranny, just flushed and put in new gear oil. No metal. Has 1st/2nd/reverse, drives nice, but won't go into 3rd or 4th. Bus nosecone. What's a "hockey stick", anyways??? Anything easy to check before pulling the tranny and opening up the case? Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

sounds to me more a linkage adjustement issue ....

h9ckey stick is the one at the top on ur picture
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

Before removing everything try and remove the center shift linkage off the coupler at the trans and manually try and shift it. Most times it’s a shifter not adjusted correctly.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

Yes, adjust your shifter.
Loosen the two 14mm nuts on the base of the shift stick enough to shift it a bit. Some people like to put it into second, snug the bolts, and see if that helps.

IIRC, there is not a bug vs bus hockey stick for split case trans, though there is for the tunnel case.
AKdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

All good tips, thanks. Made adjustments and still no 3rd/4th, so disconnected rear shift rod coupler and tried finding all gears by manually manipulating the hockey stick...still nothing.
Based on the above, I'm thinking that the interlock selector plunger for 3rd/4th is froze up. I'm going to squirt some Kroil down the vent hole of the plunger channel to see if it frees it up. The bushing in the nose cone which centers the hockey stick appears to be worn, lot of wobble in the hockey stick, too. I have a spare split tranny, so I can scrounge parts as needed.

Anything else come to mind in the nose cone I could check?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

AKdude wrote:
All good tips, thanks. Made adjustments and still no 3rd/4th, so disconnected rear shift rod coupler and tried finding all gears by manually manipulating the hockey stick...still nothing.
Based on the above, I'm thinking that the interlock selector plunger for 3rd/4th is froze up. I'm going to squirt some Kroil down the vent hole of the plunger channel to see if it frees it up. The bushing in the nose cone which centers the hockey stick appears to be worn, lot of wobble in the hockey stick, too. I have a spare split tranny, so I can scrounge parts as needed.

Anything else come to mind in the nose cone I could check?

bummer! I was hoping it was a simple adjustment. Sad

The nose cone bushing is easy to replace if the nose cone is off.
Ya, good to check it has all five gears before installing the tranny.
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

not sure if you have the correct one but i think 58 uses the mustache looking shift rod coupler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

Hopefully you changed the position of the seams on the axle boots. At 12 O'clock like you have them the boots will tear up all too soon.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Hopefully you changed the position of the seams on the axle boots. At 12 O'clock like you have them the boots will tear up all too soon.
X2 the splits should be at either 9 o'clock or three o'clock when the transmission in the bus so it will bend along the bolt line as the axle moves, the way it is now the bolt line will act like a "truss" so to speak. With movement it will tear loose.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
X2 the splits should be at either 9 o'clock or three o'clock when the transmission in the bus so it will bend along the bolt line as the axle moves, the way it is now the bolt line will act like a "truss" so to speak. With movement it will tear loose.

Have the band clamps screws facing down is useful in case you need to change the boots in the future.
I noticed they were oriented that way Smile
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Case Transmission won't go into 3rd/4th Reply with quote

When and if you have to break this thing open ,Leave the passenger side reduction box and axle assembly together because the ring gear can stay on that side. Just dismantle the driver side axle assembly and after the nose cone is removed just remove that side of the case. That is the side with the shift rails in it any ways. If you have another split case that is from a bug style notice the ring gear will be on the opposite side because of the absents of the gear reduction boxes and to use r.g.b.'s ring gear must be switched to the passenger side {left hand drive of course}. Ps nice save on the rather great 58 camper and that 69 bay is a super nice bus to .congrats ! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: