Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Wiring question Reply with quote

Good morning all!

My Oil Pressure light doesn't come on with the ignition in the On position. Looking at the engine I can see there is no wire connected to the Oil Pressure Switch.

Referring to the Bentley wiring diagram for my '79, I see that the wire at the light is BL/BK (blue and black). I looked under the dash and that wire is in place. OK...

Returning to the engine bay, and again referring to the Bentley, it seems that at some point that BL/BK wire should end up G/R. My problem is that I can't find any lose green and red wire. This seems to have been complicated a bit when PO converted from FI to carb (as some of the wiring is no longer in stock location). Maybe it's not really all that complicated, but at this moment, it is to me.

What I did find however, is a lose BL/BK wire (with a connector on it, connected to nothing). This wire seems to be connected to one of the main wiring harnesses entering the engine bay. I've taken a few pics to help:

Near the coil
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure what this is (relay?) but this is where the blue and black wire is coming from

Those wires enter the engine bay here

Again referring to the Bentley, I can' find any reference of a blue and black wire being connected to anything in the engine bay.

Might this be the wire that needs to be connected to the Oil Pressure Switch?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wire at the firewall is the charge light and if you look closely you'll find it's solid blue (no stripe), tape up that connection.
The oil light wire is blue/black and it looks like you've found it, it comes from the same harness laying across the engine the black coil wire does right beside the coil.
That relay looks like it was for the booster fan, it should be attached to te fan in the roof of the engine compartment, it's got live battery powered wires so leaving it laying on the engine isn't a good idea.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy! I connected the wire and turned the ignition to on, but still didn't get a green light. I'll continue troubleshooting but at least I know the wire is connected.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Alright, I grounded the blue and black wire, then set the ignition to on, and the oil light lit up (red, not green...but it lit up).

So it seems the switch itself is bad.

Picked up a new switch today, and now I can't figure out how to get the old on out. The new one fits a socket, but the old one looks different:

My 24mm deep socket won't fit over that. The only size I have bigger than that is a 27mm, but it wont clear the tin.

How do I get that sucker out?? (without taking the engine out I mean). Is there a special tool for that? Also, I've searched thru the forums and so far haven't seen another switch that looks like mine.

Thanks
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That oil switch requires a special socket.
Something like this.
http://www.autozone.com/1/products/18335-oil-pressure-switch-socket-oem-25254.html
Sometimes you can get a 12 point deep socket to fit.

Try and reach down there with some needle nose pliers. Most times they are not very tight.

Good Luck
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEEESSS! That was exactly what I needed. I got one, and was able to remove the old switch. The new switch works, and I now have a working idiot light.

Small victories are still victories Cool

Thanks TCash! I know my questions must seem ridiculous, but I definitely appreciate the help.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to pulling the MC and servo.

They both look pretty crusty to me:

different angle

You can see the servo was full of brake fluid

Here to hoping that WW's servo isn't complete junk..

At this point I'm calling it a day, but I do have a question for anyone who happens to know:

The Bentley manual refers to a 1mm required clearance between the pushrod of the servo and the MC piston, but I don't understand how to measure that. How do you (or from what point do you) measure for the correct distance?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Brake Servo (booster) Reply with quote

Brake Servo (booster) master cylinder pushrod

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7309128#7309128

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=582652&highlight=

Good Luck
Tcash
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been taking my sweet time lately, working on the front brakes, and getting the new MC and brake booster in

Overall, things have been going pretty smoothly.

But I think I've hit my first roadblock. The adjusters on the rear brakes are frozen rock solid. They aren't coming out. I sprayed PB Blaster on them, let it soak and then tried again, but they just arent moving. So I decided to try to remove the part that the 2 adjusters are inserted into:

As you can see in the photo below the 2 mounting bolts have been removed, but it won't budge either. I looked on the back to see if there was another bolt that I had overlooked, and I do see what looks to be a mounting peg, but it doesn't go all the way trough to the back side (no bolt head, like it's not intended to be removed from that side). Hope that makes sense. In any case, I'm stuck and am not sure what to do next. Feeling pretty frustrated, since I feel like I've been making real progress and want to get this thing back on the road, only to get stuck now. Suggestions appreciated.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusters and screws are junk. Use heat and a thick screwdriver in the screw slot and rock it with some effort. It'll eventually give and you will be able to pull it out as one. Sand smooth in the bore and use lots of anti seize on thw new parts

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a dowel on the back of the adjuster that goes into the bearing housing, you can pound it out with a drift from the back. But unless you get that hub off first removing the backing plate won't be much help (the adjuster is welded to the plate BTW).

I free up stuck adjusters by carefully clamping on a large pair of vise grips, you don't want to mangle that tab on the bottom and try to avoid mashing the ends of the stars too badly. Usually brute force is enough, get it moving a few degrees each way without hitting that tab and then move the vise grips for another go. They aren't threaded into the holder on the backing plate so once you get 1/2 turn on them they will start to pull out. Large end nippers are also a good tool for this job, like a farrier uses for trimming hooves. Option C is put a heavy screwdriver or small bar through the slot the brake shoe goes in and thread the inner screw in until it bottoms, sometimes it'll push the adjuster out.

Once you get them out clean everything up shiny and lay on the never seeze.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Alright, so the adjuster is welded to the backing plate...good to know. So I suppose the 2 bolts are only there as a backup in case the weld broke free.

OK, vice grips on the stars. I'll try that next. I've seen the stars available and they're cheap so even if they end up mashed that's not that bad, right?

If I'm not able to get those adjusters out, would picking up a new set of backing plates be the next step? Like: http://www.busdepot.com/211609425pr

I've been working around the axle nut so far since I've seen many advise against removing it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
I've been working around the axle nut so far since I've seen many advise against removing it.

It does require some serious torque, but eventually you'll want to repack the bearings, don't be afraid of it. You will likely have to put the wheel back on to break it loose.
If you have to mangle the stars then do it, the critical thing is don't F up those tabs or your brakes will self adjust in an unwanted way. If you can get the inner threaded part loose you can thread in a longer bolt or put a ball bearing down the hole and thread the adjuster back in, then keep turning after it bottoms so it draws the outer sleeve out of the housing.

The bolts hold the adjuster as well as the backing plate, German engineering, one part does multiple things, keep it simple Wink

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Bus Daddy's advice. They will come out. Try and save the original parts. They MUCH better quality than what you'd buy new today.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for the info guys!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, is what victory looks like Cool

Both of the adjusters on this side are OUT (but not without a fight first). It was just like you guys said: Clamp down, and rock back and forth. The stars and adjuster bolts were destroyed tho, so now I just need to pick up some new ones. Thanks again for the tip!

The passenger side adjusters came out by hand, and just need some cleaning, but they look good overall.

OK, so that's all for tonight, but quick question: None of the metal clips (that you guys warned me to be careful not to break) are broken, however, the passenger side clips don't touch the stars. They're about 1/8in away. Any tips on how to get them closer? Zip ties maybe?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

riverside66 wrote:
however, the passenger side clips don't touch the stars. They're about 1/8in away. Any tips on how to get them closer? Zip ties maybe?

Try cleaning between them and the housings the best you can and bending them back up, sticking a smallish wire in the gap close to the housing before bending to act as a fulcrum sometimes helps. If not then maybe wire wrapped around the housing to hold tension on the tabs. As long as they sort of touch the stars to keep them from spinning by themselves it's usually good.

Слава Україні!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update: She's back on the road!

The brakes are done and the new tires are on! The rear brakes still need a little adjusting (they don't feel like they're fully engaging) but she definitely stops now.

After a month in the garage it feels great to be back behind the wheel. More work to do, but for the moment, I'm just enjoying the ride Smile

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great looking bus!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you bled the rear brakes, if you hardly got any fluid out of them. It may be time to replace the rubber brake hoses in the rear. Look on the hoses for a date. No date or more than 10 yrs old replace them.
good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: