Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TCash! Yea, rear hoses are new, as are the rear shoes, cylinders, hardware and adjusters, front hoses, rebuilt front calipers, new rotors, new pads and plates, new brake booster and new MC.

The front calipers grip and release nicely, but I think they are doing all/most of the work because the front dips more than I think it would if all 4 brakes were sharing the work of stopping the bus. I could be wrong tho.

Also, in my initial brake tests I was not able to get the tires to lock up (screech). It stopped, as was doing much better then before, but I should be able to get the tires to screech under hard braking, right?

I think this was because I was afraid to have too much drag when I first adjusted the rear shoes. How can I tell how much drag is too much?
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:

I think this was because I was afraid to have too much drag when I first adjusted the rear shoes. How can I tell how much drag is too much?

Your drums will get hot if you have too much drag.

On mine I adjust up until they lock then back them off 4 clicks on the star wheel and it tends to work out fine.

Yours may differ by a click so it's still a bit of a feel of the wheel job as you rotate.
1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll give that a shot. Thanks Zero!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
That's a great looking bus!

Thanks cmonSTART! Hmmmm...and from your thumbnail there, I think yours is pretty sweet as well Wink

You need some bigger shots of her!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a while for the new shoes to arc (wear) into the shape of the brake drum.
The braking will get better as the shoes brake in.
Good Luck
Tcash
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took her out for a spin not long ago, and snapped this shot on a particularly spectacular day

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a few small, but enjoyable updates recently.

Ran across a great thread about installing inexpensive retractable seat belts, and took the bait...well worth it!

In case anyone is interested:

The retractable seat belt units were purchased on ebay. Not sure how long this link will be good, but this is the listing I bought them from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321506265325?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#

Just search for someting like 'H M M W V 3 POINT SEAT BELT UPGRADE'.

I got the L brackets (and some additional hardware) from here (product listed as Hardware Kit #1): https://www.gotbelts.com/mounting-hardware-misc/m.products/84/view/32

Also installed my new A/C!

$12.00, Wal-Mart Wink

Last edited by riverside66 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the last drive across town, I noticed a strong smell of fuel. I had already replaced the fuel lines, but hadn't done any of the vent lines, nor the fuel filler rubber.

Decided to park the bus until I got those knocked out, and so I began the task at hand.

Got the tank out. Btw, it really isn't that big of a deal removing the tank with the engine in. I didn't even need to lower the engine. Obvious things needed to be removed, like the carb, the coil, and the wires from the top of the distributor cap (didnt need to remove the cap itself). Disconnected the fuel sender wires, removed the rubber hose connecting the fuel tube to the tank, and proceeded to slowly remove the tank (being mindful of the connection points on the bottom).

New hose at the ends of the vent lines:

New hose at the upper left:

New hose, upper right:

The 3 connection pieces near the engine lid:

New hose under the spare tire:

Last edited by riverside66 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also needed to make some repairs to the fuel filler tube itself. The inside of the tube, at the last 3 inches or so closest to the tank itself was rusted. Not badly, but enough that it needed to be addressed.

Took it to Hilltop Motors, who did a nice job blasting the inside clean. A shout-out and thanks to Javi!

Used the Por-15 fuel tank sealer (after following prep with Metal Ready), which came out really nicely. Currently waiting the full 96 hours cure time before reinstalling, but it's already formed a solid coat (fingernail test leaves no mark).

The new fuel hose (tank to tube connection) is Dodge Sprinter part no. 5119668AA for those looking for a new hose. It's actually a Mercedes fuel hose part, and fits nice and snug. There's a Samba thread out there for this as well, which is how I originally found it.

The tank itself is in really solid condition. No visible rust on the inside.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
The 3 connection pieces near the engine lid:

Where do you connect the Tee to?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
Where do you connect the Tee to?[/quote]

At the moment, nowhere. I was planning on getting a late model charcoal canister to reconnect that setup as close to originally designed, however I hadn't noticed that the connection port on the left side of the fan shroud had been cut and filled in. So now I'm just thinking of running it directly to the top of the air cleaner. Thoughts?

:Update:

Well, I found that connection...on the RIGHT side of the fan shroud. Did different year buses have that port on different sides? Oh well, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Last edited by riverside66 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank back in

Filler pipe reconnected

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to work doing my best to repair/reconnect the fuel tank straps

Got a strip of metal at the hardware store, cut two 7" sections, drilled a couple holes, then bent an angle for the lower connection to attach at the body.

Here they are in place but not bolted in. I forgot to take a picture of them once they were bolted down, but you get the idea. Not perfect, but they get the job done (and 1000 times better than the block of wood which the PO wedged between the tank and the upper deck would ever do). My ocd hates the fact that the one on the left isn't perfectly aligned, but since you'll never see it anyway, I can live with it.

By the way, some of the slack you can see in the straps was tightened up once fully bolted down.

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned up the firewall, put in a new engine seal, and finally got everything back in it's proper place! (this pic was taken before I finished putting the rest of the firewall screws back in)

Drilled a hole into the top plate of the air cleaner, screwed in a brass nozzle, and lastly, connected the T end of the vent hoses to the new air cleaner connection.

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All closed up, and ready to go (I wonder how long I'll be able to keep it like this) Shocked

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It felt great to get the bus back on the road this morning. She was running beautifully, engine just purring! But I guess all that activity finally pushed the old alternator over the edge, and she'll be staying on the other side of town for about a week until I can get a new one. Rolling Eyes

At least she looks great out in the sun (for a change)!

ChrisFred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
It felt great to get the bus back on the road this morning. She was running beautifully, engine just purring! But I guess all that activity finally pushed the old alternator over the edge, and she'll be staying on the other side of town for about a week until I can get a new one. Rolling Eyes

At least she looks great out in the sun (for a change)!

Hold on to the old one for extra parts or rebuilding the alternator! You never know...

Love the build BTW! Did you get one from another 2L?
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisFred wrote:
Hold on to the old one for extra parts or rebuilding the alternator! You never know...

Love the build BTW! Did you get one from another 2L?

Hi Chris! Thanks for the compliment Very Happy

Do you mean, did I get another alt from another 2L? No, I don't have a replacement alt yet.

Actually, I think I might have just jumped ahead a bit in thinking it was the alt. I've read over http://www.ratwell.com/technical/ChargingSystem.html and realize there is a bit more to diagnosing the issue. Right now the bus is over at familys house across town so it might be a few days before I get to give it a more thorough examination.

So, here's what happened (perhaps you or someone else out there may have a better idea if I describe the symptoms. Either way, I'll be following ratwell's steps as soon as I can get over there):

I had been driving for roughly about 30 min, but was running just perfectly. All of a sudden I notice my dash fan stop spinning. Then start, then stop. Right about the same time I noticed a subtle shudder in the engine and a loss of responsiveness in the throttle, and then my oil pressure light and alt lights came on, and I turned into a vacant parking lot. A tense few moments passed before reassuring myself that this wasn't due to an engine fire. Afterwards, I just looked over the engine bay, searching for a wire that had come free or something like that, and couldn't find anything. Everything looked in it's place. After about 5-10 minutes, I tried starting her back up, and she started up fine. Took some back roads, and drove it slowly about another mile until I reached the home that it's currently parked at.

Tested the battery with the engine off, and it was right at about 12.3. Tested the battery again with the engine on (after giving the engine a few rev's), same numbers. So, am I correct in that it seems like my battery isn't receiving a charge? And if the alternator runs to the voltage regulator, then wouldn't that point to the VR? Everything I've learned about this happened just after yesterday's events, so it's likely that pretty much everyone has more experience in this than I do.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the VR is the original VR, which I believe is mechanical. In looking over photos of the mechanical one vs the solid state VR's, it looks much taller. Since it was relatively cheap, I just went ahead and ordered a Wehrle 90160320602 Voltage Regulator, so at least that's on the way.

Anyone have any thoughts about the symptoms I experienced?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start at the large terminal on the starter where the battery cable, alternator wire and feed to the fusebox attaches, loose?, dirty?, broken wire inside outwardly good appearing insulation?
Some of what you describe sounds like a failing ignition switch, but the no charge means there's more to it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so it took a week before I was able to tow the bus back home (really glad I got that tow bar from the PO!) but I got her back on Saturday.

Tested the battery again (engine off, then on), still at 12.x, both tests. Put on the new Breu solid state voltage regulator (had actually ordered a Wehrle VR from Amazon, $35.00, but the seller shipped me the Breu. At first I was kinda ticked because you can get the Beru for about 10.00 less, but just didn't feel like shipping it back and waiting), and I'm now getting 14 on the battery with the engine running.

For good measure, I also cleaned all connections and the terminals on the started (as suggested by Busdaddy), cleaned up the posts on the battery (they really didn't need it), and put a bit of dielectric grease on all connections. Lastly, put on a new braided ground strap for the transmission.

Did about 60 miles after that, no problems Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: