Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Things have been seemingly moving at a snails pace, but at least moving, so I can't complain...

Got a few toys in the mail...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heater boxes primed and painted

This is the new exhaust I'll be using (I've kept the original, and may still use it once it's been cleaned up and the cat's been removed). The EMPI exhaust has been stripped and re-painted.

Fan shroud cleaned and painted. Not really happy with the paint though. It's got a bit of a flat finish, and shows dirt really easily. Might paint over it with an enamel that's a bit easier to keep clean.

Original Bosch 205S distributor cleaned up really nicely! Had it rebuilt by Bill (wcfvw69). Freshly lubed up, and tons of life left! Pretty stoked! Thanks again Bill!

EMW has and is currently working on the case. Should be getting a call from them any day now.

Also, I found some of the lower tin (which conceal the push rod tubes) NOS on a UK website for less than most people are trying to sell rusty pieces for. Yea, I gotta pay for international shipping, but it STILL ended up being cheaper. I also realized that I was missing the two rear right and left cylinder tins (bummer), and missing the rubber oil cooler tin seal. All of those are now on the way.

Bonus: I decided to spring a bit extra for my fuel pressure regulator, and go for one of the nicer Malpassi Filter King units, with the built in guage Cool Like this:

secretsubmariner wrote:
Not a coincidence that the 4 on a keyboard is also the $ key.
whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Rad build, I did a similar first-time one on my 1700. Used the same resources and got some really helpful advice on here. 2L+ is up next Cool

Its a dangerous thing going digging for rust. Take some time to enjoy the bus once that engines back in! Great that you can keep it dry inside, that'll slow the rust right down.

Good luck and I look forward to following the rest of the build!
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Weekend update: All parts have arrived, so now the build progress is on me. No more placing the blame on "well, I'm waiting for..." Laughing

Cam bearings in place:

Oil galley plugs (I did the 5 3/8 size plugs, and used brass fittings):

Crankshaft rod journals plastigauged and within spec:

Case through bolts in, rods installed on the crank, main bearings lubed and crank set into the case:

Camshaft and gear in place and aligned with the crankshaft gear. I also took this moment to test the cam gear lash. My original gear was a -6, but I ended up needing to get a new gear (supplied by European Motorworks) and the new gear is -3. Once the crank and camshaft was in place, I rotated the crank counterclockwise to see if the camshaft would lift out of it's seat, and thankfully it did not:

Distributor drive shaft set at 12 degrees:

secretsubmariner wrote:
Gnasha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

So how is it running now? are you pleased with the outcome?
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Gnasha wrote:
So how is it running now? are you pleased with the outcome?

Ah if only...

But I appreciate the vote of confidence!

Actually I seem to have worked in reverse a bit. Once the two case halves were bolted together, the crankshaft seemed too tight. I tried to convince myself that it was fine, but I couldn't, and took everything apart. The small amount of spare time I've had over the past week or so have been spent cleaning off form-a-gasket, and thread sealant. Also, in the process of test fitting, removing, and re-fitting the case halves, I ended up damaging some of the through bolt isolators/dampers (#28 in this diagram, part no. 021101107), so now I'm waiting for the new ones to arrive.

secretsubmariner wrote:
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

Did you find the cause of the crankshaft being tight?
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Transporter - "Wheatbread" Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Did you find the cause of the crankshaft being tight?

Not for certain yet. I did make sure that all measurements were good (my case was align bored for .020), and everything checks out. The dowel pins aren't touching the bearings, so I'm good there too. I did notice that my #3 main bearing was slightly offset in its saddle (right to left), and also slightly off at the ends (one end being higher than the other). I've corrected that, but haven't mocked it up again since to test it.

secretsubmariner wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: