Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter Driving: Tips, Tricks, & Mods (2WD & 4WD)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Winter Driving: Tips, Tricks, & Mods (2WD & 4WD) Reply with quote

OK,
Ready to move on and open up some new topics about winter driving.

Tire size
Studded vs non
Frozen throttle cables
Keeping snow and ice from building up under your van
Windshield wipers
Helping others out of a sticky situation: towing and pulling with a Syncro
Alignment
Driving skills

Looking forward to any questions or comments on each listed above.

Moderator notes:
1) This topic has been split off from the original.

2) This is not the thread to discuss Syncro components. Please do that here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613115 .

3) This is not the thread in which to post your snow photos. Please do that here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276517 .

4) This is not a thread in which to discuss snow conditions (i.e. leave the idle chit-chat to PM's).
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
OK,
Ready to move on and open up some new topics about winter driving.

Tire size
Studded vs non
Frozen throttle cables
Keeping snow and ice from building up under your van
Windshield wipers
Helping others out of a sticky situation: towing and pulling with a Syncro
Alignment
Driving skills

Looking forward to any questions or comments on each listed above.

What kind of tires should I have on my syncro when its snowing with both my VC and solid shaft simultaneously coupled ? Shocked Razz Wink
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very pleased with Nokian tyres.
They make reinforced sidewall versions in 14", 15" and 16".

My 185r14 C2s are studded, the larger ones can be studded, but I don't stud them as they see more highway use.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compound of the true winter tire is very soft and has many more sipes than an all season, mud or offroad tire.

I do not even bother trying to make a BFG work for nasty winter use.
They will surely spin, slide and increase braking distances on ice.

Many feel unstudded winter tires are superior to studded.
I have multiple sets of both, in various sizes and the jury is still out in my book.

The WBX powered Syncros I own, still with stock brakes get the Nokians C2 with Eco studs.
My first set from so long ago are still going strong as they see only the nastiest conditions and temps below 40 degrees only.
They studs do make more noise for sure, but you need to take three dirt roads to get to my home once off pavement.
The studs really help the van as my town plows my road last due to its extreme grade.

This winter I will be supporting an ice racing team running Honda 250rs and Suzuki Quadracers on the ice.
After the event I have been promised that I will be able to run the course with my Syncro.
Studded of course.

I will capture some video of the experience and try to post it up.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many feel unstudded winter tires are superior to studded.
I have multiple sets of both, in various sizes and the jury is still out in my book.

That is an interesting concept. From experience in winter driving I always liked the added grip on ice. All of those little ice picks surely help. Aired down studded winter tires almost do as well as chains. I have never chained up the Syncro because of clearance issues. I always believed that the studded tires help you grind through snow and keep from preventing ice under the tires when you spin to a stop. Some of the popular tire brands are now stud less. Shocked

I look forward to the video Popcorn

Since this thread is about winter driving I thought you might enjoy this clip. They do explain a few tips.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running studs for years, but last year, after many commented about new tech studdless tires, I bought a few sets.

They do grip well, I'll give them that, and they really don't have the annoying sound related to studs.

BUT, at very low speed, when the ultimate traction is needed, the studded tires are much better IMHO.

Speed is the key to me.
If you are like one of the Citidiots around here in a new SUV, with traction control and low profile tires, you quickly find out that not exceeding 45 mph in conditions like we are seeing today is highly advised.

I was driving to the shop this AM and saw Mr City coming up on the Syncro at warp 9, flashing his highbeams to get out of his way, so I did.
Not even a mile down the road, there he was out in a field with bare road marks for a considerable distance.
He was flagging me down to assist...I just waved and kept on truckin' by at 40mph and did my best to hit him with a tidal wave of slush Laughing
Direct hit Captain Exclamation

I don't think people realize that they are putting other drivers in danger when they do not change their driving style in varying conditions.

I did call my Buddy who does AAA recovery in the area and told him to take his sweet time for the SUV on RT 66 and I had a 30 pack with his name on it at the shop.

FYI, I was going slow enough to see that no pregnant women were in the vehicle Wink
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I always believed that the studded tires help you grind through snow and keep from preventing ice under the tires when you spin to a stop.

I'm not so sure studs will help in snow only but if you sink down and hit ice or pavement they will. There may be some residual positive action with the studs in snow only although I suspect it's minor. Cables and chains will magnify that grip a little (snow only), especially in hard packed snow.

Nice video -- down in the Mojave and Death/Panamint Valleys areas in SoCal the Jeepsters are usually out in force in winter, usually with their BFG's or some other brand knobbies. Notice in the video how the snow packs into those knobs ... if it gets bad enough you are on marbles with only the now-smoother surface friction propelling you forward, preferably going very slowly as they say.

The Nokians are also capable of 'packing in' with certain snow types, mainly at slower speeds, but tend to shed much better, especially at higher speeds.

'Slush' is the worst. Even the Las vegas bookies can't predict where your rig is going when the tires hit deep slush. Anyone have any comments or personal anecdotes on what happens in deep slush with their syncro with VC or solid shaft engaged ?

Edit -- I have plenty of own experience with this but am interested in other's input. Best slush handler I had -- a '69 baby-blue Beetle with dubious winter tires !!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

As to snow packing up in the treads. Here's a fun fact: That helps the tire grip. Yep, snow on snow under pressure is gripper than rubber on snow under pressure. Years ago I was at the snow and ice driving school in Colorado. It was about the time studless snow tires with winter compounds were taking over. The guy who ran the school and I became buddies over the years. One day a couple years later after running studs for 10 years, I was in the market again. Asked him straight up if it were his wife and kids in 4X4 SUV what would he put on. Studless came the answer. Since then studless have continued to get better. I still run studs on the Quattro but will switch when they run out.

Snow tires and their properties are a fascinating discussion. Tire Rack has some great info on their site, I think. At least they used to.

Slush is a very tough thing to deal with as Bob notes. Especially the fine mashed potato like slush that doesn't evacuate like wet slush. Its like playdough kinda and the layers don't grip with each other under pressure. Weird stuff.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe slush conditions are the worst. Skinny tires and weight will keep you safer than wide tires. It must be something to do with the contact patches? I am usually coupled up and the slush still pulls but the 215 skinny tires plow through ok. I think the Syncro's heavy weight helps also. Truckers seem to love slush roads! Confused

All I know is that when driving in slush headed up a canyon last winter my shift linkage froze in high gear. It would not budge!

After stopping and ascertaining the situation the front tires threw the slush into the front of the transaxle packing it in until the colder temps up the canyon froze it solid. I guess the tranny was running really cool!!! I used the handle from the hi-lift jack to break it up and with stopping the heat from the transaxle also helped. That would really suck if you needed to downshift on a steeper grade Sad

My Syncro is an 87 and I want the tube around the shifting linkage now. Shocked That is on the later models. Now I know why they added it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Here's a fun fact: That helps the tire grip. Yep, snow on snow under pressure is gripper than rubber on snow under pressure.

That's a revelation for me, Doug. Thanks.

Now we could really get into the effects of different types of snow packing and is it better to proceed slowly or speed up and etc. but perhaps that's better left for another snow tire thread Wink

I know my BFG's just aren't all that great in snow ** compared to** the Nokians except in the deep dry fluffy stuff and poor on ice unless siped which helps a little but overall I would rate the BFG's average.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, all fits in the winter driving, eh? The newer generation BFG you have is much better than the older couple which were atrocious in snow. In fairness to a tire I actually love, it was not intended as a specific winter tire and its a high water mark tire.

But a lot of people think their tires are great in snow, and I often think "Hmm, I bet they've not been on a set of dedicated winter tires." The difference between all season tires for example, and winter tires is remarkable. I got a neat example of that a couple days ago. My 16yo daughter has been driving one of the Cruisers and its on new Michelin M/S tires. Then last weekend I put its Michelin X-Ice tires on, and the first time she was on snow she came home and said "Wow Dad, I didn't know what a difference winter tires make - I couldn't make the Cruiser slip at all". I was very proud.

They're amazing and the massive difference is on glare ice when a normal tire simply gives up.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail this v/c thread, but this looks like a decent winter tire with a load & size that may work ok for a 4.86 RP syncro (215-70r16 XL)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=P...mpare1=yes

Might be a nice winter tire (only) setup with the new GW steels wheels....

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24092&category_id=&category_parent_id=

& add that "sport" v/c to go with 'em Cool

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_109_1248/rebuilt_viscous_coupler__coupling.html
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/live-blog-northeast-roadways-s/38706452

Logging plenty of Syncro Slush driving Exclamation

I should have about 120 miles in the worst of it before it is done.

This particular van is testing Fluid Film as a pre storm treatment that will be washed off with hot water after the precipitation has stopped.

An extraordinary amount of Syncro praise and questions by those also out and about with me.
The #1 question has been, "where can I get one"? Wink

Two of the Chaps are swinging by the shop next week.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

All I know is that when driving in slush headed up a canyon last winter my shift linkage froze in high gear. It would not budge!

My Syncro is an 87 and I want the tube around the shifting linkage now. Shocked That is on the later models. Now I know why they added it.

I have an 87 and have that same problem in a bad way, as the PNW is particularly prone to those conditions, heading up to the mountains from 35 and heavy slush to 25 deg and heavy snow. The whole area just becomes encased in ice, and it also affects your front heater. I'm trying to come up with a DIY solution but haven't figured it out yet; if you come up with something let me know!

As for studs, I stopped running them a decade ago. The road damage they do is atrocious and I think there should be an extra use tax associated with that. Political ranting aside, Tire Rack showed a few years ago that old-style studded tires were inferior to "new" studless tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=7

However I'm sure that a set of modern winter rubber with studs would still outperform modern studless on pure ice. Studs will always be worse on wet pavement though, and that's a problem here in the Land of Eternal Dampness. I'm intrigued by Nokian's "eco-stud" technology, but until I see a pavement wear test I'm not sold on the "eco" part.

As for dealing with slush, I've found sheer tonnage is the best, followed by open-lugged mud terrains with siping.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the late Syncros have the linkage tube and it is a easy addition to the early vans.
Make sure that you get the metal shroud that is connected to the cross member as well.

I have posted pictures of the setup in other threads and have hooked quite a few up with these harder to find parts, but will be keeping all the spares I have saved for my vans and Syncro builds.

They could be made easily, but the bulbous portion that covers the universal joint in the linkage would be the one part that might present a slight bit of extra thought.

Along the same lines as the linkage protector is the throttle cable and pedal linkage protector.
MAKE SURE that the water drain hole is free of debris.
If not, your snowy feet will melt, the water will drain down into the pedal protector and make its way into the white plastic throttle cable housing and when the temp drops, freeze your cable solid.

Once you have the drain hole working perfectly, try sealing up all of the unions with clear RTV...especially at the transmission crossover where the white housing meets the black cabled portion.
There should be a piece of 8mm fiber covered hose making the union of the two parts.
This area get direct road spray when the wheels are turned and heavy buildup happens in this area in slushy conditions.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: late linkage protector Reply with quote

Late linkage protector:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: late linkage protector Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Late linkage protector:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had a WTB ad up for months for that stuff, no bites. Only someone saying try to build one from the Home Depot Motorsports section!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few 89s, and all 90&91 Syncros have them.
Not many will want to part with them and now that it has been established as a hard to find $yncro part...the price just rocketed up Wink

Another one of those "worth every penny" parts if you ask me.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
A few 89s, and all 90&91 Syncros have them.
Not many will want to part with them and now that it has been established as a hard to find $yncro part...the price just rocketed up Wink

Another one of those "worth every penny" parts if you ask me.

After having my linkage frozen solid, that would be "worth every penny" Exclamation

I should have gotten into the Vanagon crowd sooner instead of the bug and early bus. I think Syncro parts are more rare than the split window stuff!

I can see for winter driving this little option would be very valuable. Wink
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lets add this part and all of the others that come on the late models as one of the reasons that they are more sought after, perform better, carry higher price tags and very rarely come up for sale.

If anyone tuned in has ties to plastics manufacturers who could make these, send me contact info.
I will send a set to them for reproduction.
I was going to ask Terrawagen if they wanted to give it a try.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: