Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Oil Pressure concerns
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: High Oil Pressure concerns Reply with quote

Thought I would ask before I go taking things apart. Over the winter I installed new Kadrons on my 1776(3k Miles since new, 110 cam, Outlaw Heads, Full Flow with External cooler, Napa Gold filter-previously K&N HP-3001). Had a heck of a time getting the Kadrons running right but now that I have, I am seeing high Oil Pressure.

At Idle Cold its a constant 60. Once warm , it idles in the 20-40 range. Any slight increase in RPM instantly shoots pressure to 60-70, My gauge only reads to 80 and the space between 70 and 80 is next to nothing. It doesn't matter if RPM is at 2K or 4K, Oil Pressure is 60ish.

I didn't build the motor so I know little about it. The Builder can be hard to get a hold of to verify parts but I do have access to him

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large oil pumps will do that. Use 5w30 and see if that will get you in the 40-45 psi range at cruise. That's the number that really matters.....
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check what springs and relief plungers are installed.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I am currently running 10w30 as this is what the builder suggested. A fellow samba member suggested I check my relief springs as well and ensure I don't have the empi ones or any high pressure ones installed. Do I need to drain the oil for that or will I just lose a few tablespoons when I pull the plunger out? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would drain the oil. Oil can still seep past the plugs.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gauge or sensor could be wrong.
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Your gauge or sensor could be wrong.

That did cross my mind. I may pick up a new gauge just to plug in at the engine and monitor it for 20 minutes. At least that would tell me if I am idling cold and warm at the proper marks. Got a cheap gauge that is accurate you can recommend? Just any old one like this with the proper fittings of course?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did notice my WIX spin on filter is weeping a little and it is tight. Also the push rod tube seals appear to be leaking which I don't believe they were before. Def looks like a pressure problem.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pushrod tubes don't ever get pressurized oil, so any leak there is probably due to the seals. I agree with the above posts, get a reading of the actual pressure, to make sure you actually have a problem. I would find a fitting to tap a mechanical gauge into your full flow lines and just leave it there. Several vendors offer straight fittings with an 1/8-14" npt tap on the side. The forward spring is the one that controls the pressure relief, that is the one I would check first.
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I wait for my Oil pressure tester to arrive int he mail I took out the front Oil Pressure Relief valve. Lo and behold, appears to be a High pressure kit installed. Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Still need to pull the rear which is a little harder with the deep sump but will get to it tonight and then order a stock kit.
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krmnnghia wrote:
While I wait for my Oil pressure tester to arrive int he mail I took out the front Oil Pressure Relief valve. Lo and behold, appears to be a High pressure kit installed. Sad

Still need to pull the rear which is a little harder with the deep sump but will get to it tonight and then order a stock kit.

That is actually the Rear relief valve. I away run a stock piston and spring in this location.
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bajaman65 wrote:

That is actually the Rear relief valve. I away run a stock piston and spring in this location.

Sorry I guess I should have said the relief plug closest to the pulley Wink

Anyway I went to my local VW shop already and he had a drawer of used springs on hand and we compared a few. Picked a set I felt still had a lot of spring left in them Rolling Eyes I will use the aftermarket plungers with the stock springs. The difference between the springs is amazing.

We will see if this helps reduce the pressure and I will report back.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krmnnghia wrote:
Bajaman65 wrote:

Sorry I guess I should have said the relief plug closest to the pulley Wink

Anyway I went to my local VW shop already and he had a drawer of used springs on hand and we compared a few. Picked a set I felt still had a lot of spring left in them Rolling Eyes I will use the aftermarket plungers with the stock springs. The difference between the springs is amazing.

We will see if this helps reduce the pressure and I will report back.

Actually, I would suggest the used plungers. You want to use both kinds without the hat(the shorter ones)

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Actually, I would suggest the used plungers. You want to use both kinds without the hat(the shorter ones)

What do you know Roy? Have you actually built engines before? Laughing

I will snag some stock plungers as well Wink Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krmnnghia wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

What do you know Roy? Have you actually built engines before? Laughing

I will snag some stock plungers as well Wink Thanks

Thank you for the smile today, I needed that. Actually, one of my old builders and I stayed on a Friday night playing with plungers and spring lengths about 10 years ago. I ended up with this rule and it hasn't failed me yet. If you use a single relief case, use the medium length spring and the plunger with the hat. If you use a dual relief case, use the long spring, short spring and both plungers without hats. And never, ever, use the chrome "oil pressure kits"

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krmnnghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Installed the stock springs and at cold Idle it sits at 40. Let it warm up for 5 min , buzz it around town for 10 min and at hot idle its about 20ish and fluctuates with RPM changes. The motor doesn't rev too quick so movement in the needle is slow but does fluctuate. Much better than before. Thanks for the help guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: