Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your opinion Vent Wing Rubber - Which Supplier
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that's for the latch plate - I don't know what it is for - seeing as there's another one by the pivot hole, it may just be part of the rubber mold it was made in. I've had to shave these seals to clear the latch plate.

So did it have the same VIBRASIL markings as my example above did?

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Your Opinion Vent Wing Rubber Reply with quote

Well, I finally found it Sherlock Holmes. How in the world did you find those numbers. I cannot read the numbers but it is Vibrasel. Sorry eyes not that good with magnification help. So the indention is not for the latch plate. Will wait for CIP---what should I expect?

You would think the suppliers would provide what is expected and I for one would pay for it times 4. I know others would not, but when your dealing with the very last of a great production car--price is secondary. Believe me guys of all ages reading this, They are few in number. if in doubt--read, do some research and discover what you have.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what will come from CIP1 - but I ordered a pair as well! Very Happy You'll probably get yours first, since I bought enough other stuff to get the economy free shipping. Like I said, their illustration of theirs having the corrugated corner was something I've never seen on aftermarket ventwing seals before.

Harris wrote:
. How in the world did you find those numbers. .

Bright flashlight held at a very sharp angle...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Your Opinion Vent Wing Rubber Reply with quote

Andy,

Just got mine. I think you will love this rubber from CIP1. It has the slot cut for the latch brace and the ribbed corner you mentioned, This is as we need it as I see it. Finally someone got it right. Now, I have not installed this so the jury is, I guess is still out, on this one, but I'm betting it is what we are looking for. photos attached. Screwdriver slipped through the slot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is so much easier for the owner to not have to improvise in installing an item. Long time fan of Wolfsburg West. Their products are good as is West Coast Metric which I did not get a sample from. I do like CIP1 vent wing--not installed yet, but the areas of concern looks to be covered.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Your Opinion Vent Wing Rubber Reply with quote

Harris wrote:
Andy,

Just got mine. I think you will love this rubber from CIP1..

I got them the other day, and yes I do. It's far and away the best aftermarket vent wing rubber I've seen.

These didn't come with any kind of ID as to who made them. There was a comment earlier on about Vewib out of German, but I just looked it up on their site and either the photo they have is outdated or they just carry the usual VIBRASIL part - or at least it looks that way, it could be the notches in the corner are hidden but it doesn't appear so:

No, those to me look like VIBRASIL seals.

I looked those photos up because I took a bunch of comparison photos - I had time this evening to remove the driver's side seal on my Baja, which is a 50-something-year-old German original seal to have something to compare it to. I was going to label the seals but wanted to know if I could put the ones I got from CIP1 as VEWIB or not. From those photos, I cannot.

One of the first things I noticed when I was comparing was that these nice ones from CIP1, had the part numbers backwards on them! Left is odd, but the left side is labelled 111837626. The VIBRASIL had the correct number, the CIP1 seal had the number a bit further down the seal than the other two:

And while the shape of the VIBRASIL seal wasn't that great, as you'll see in the following photos, the quality of the rubber isn't bad.

Here's the three all together. These are larger photos that I put in the Gallery so they will enlarge if you click on them.

Above I speculated about the holes in the bottom of the rubber being part of the mold, well they are clearly drain holes, the one I was looking at, at that time, was the VIBRASIL one, and those holes weren't "punched through" all the way.

And here's the area around the latch plate. You can see the slot on the CIP1 seals, as well as a proper shape at the end of the seal compared to the VIBRASIL one.

The VIBRASIL has a much tighter hole for the bottom pivot shaft of the ventwing. In some of the photos you can see I put all three of them through a tire gauge and I could hardly get it through the VIBRASIL seal.

And here's the relief notches in the bottom corner.

I haven't tried to install this yet (I will tomorrow)

-Andy
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Your opinion Vent Wing Rubber - Which Supplier Reply with quote

Great info in that last entry. Nice comparison.

Has anyone take the WCM or WW ones and cut into them the recesses around the bend? Seems like it would be easy to do and help install them.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Your opinion Vent Wing Rubber - Which Supplier Reply with quote

This is actually very helpful information.

Thank you.
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Your opinion Vent Wing Rubber - Which Supplier Reply with quote

FWIW tonight i installed some WCM seals from 20 years ago. They were still supple and new feeling. They are VW/Audi marked and appear exactly like the 2008 Stamped Vibraseal in this thread. I also looked at what WW sells today to compare and they sell the same Vibraseal unit.

Regarding installing them. I used a little silicone spray and they installed quite easy. Put spray on one side only. Put the opposite side into groove (side without silicone) and using a screw driver i could easily pop the lubricated side into place. I started in the curve and worked up. On the way down i cut the slot for the latch lock once i got close to the plate to make the cut accurate. Took 15 minutes.

Great info on this thread!

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Your opinion Vent Wing Rubber - Which Supplier Reply with quote

Redid all my door rubber with W/West and it did not wear well. Within 18 months the edges of the scrapers were crumbling. I'll say that I am a HUGE W/West fan and remain a loyal customer but the rubbers/scrapers/seals were unimpressive.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Your Opinion Vent Wing Rubber Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm shopping for these now and I want to make a distinction for us '65-'67 guys and gals: at least as of today (and probably all along), based on the pics on the CIP1 website, this "best quality" seal with the relief cuts is only available for '52-64, not '65-on (other models of Beetle notwithstanding).

So presumably CIP1 would send the same product to the front door as WCM or WW for us '65-on folks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: