Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Squareback with Suby under the lid!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: My Squareback with Suby under the lid! Reply with quote

I am 90% finished with my project and now that it is up and running its time to post pix.

I am going to start with where I am at now, and what I started with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you mount the radiator?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My modified air intake. Made with a chunk of PVC, and the bevel near the fan has fiberglass which allowed it to clear the fan.

My throttle cable running under the manifold vs on top. Its a combo of the Suby cable spliced to the original cable. They are connected with a cable clamp.

It got pretty crowded in the area. I wanted to use the PCV valve but ran out of working area with all of the plugs and emission hoses.

Used the stock Suby fuel filter. This is the best place that I could find for the air filter. Wanted fresh air, but compromised in the end.

This shows how I used the AC idler pulley as my tensioner for the alternator belt. I created a fixed bracket to hold the alternator because of the wires that are now under it and close to the block. Nice and easy adjustment of the belt tension. Only thing to note is because of the width of the idler, I had to use a belt that width instead of one as wide as the crank/alt.
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't ready to show this but here is the radiator. Its tucked in the back. It is a stock Suby rad. I was able to get it under the lid as well.

This is the bracket that it sits in.

This is how it fits under the deck. This pix doesn't show it but the rad fill cap is cut off and capped. In the opening pix you can see my fill/over flow tank on the left.

this is how I made my shroud.

Slick! It spaces the radiator properly from the rear body while directing all the air flow over the radiator. Air comes from the side scoops.

Take a close look. You can see the original boot clamp holding the shroud to the body duct. The radiator face is up against the shroud. All air is collected from the side vents.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job.
Clean
looks like you probably spent a lot thought and time getting all that shit to fit right. Sleeper.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great. It's all packaged in there very nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian Mathe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss a fan somewhere that will pull air in through those vents and past the radiator? The type III gets air through those vents with the aid of the huge fan but you will not get a large amout of air past that radiator passiviley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a project, but you've done a great job!
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of time is an understatement. I think I spent as much time studying what I needed to do as actually doing. As of now I have about a year and a half into this. A lot of the reason is obviously money. But I also wanted to do as much of it myself as possible. As an example, in the pix of the rad support you can see a portion of my first incarnation of a mustache bar. That one went through at least 3 upgrades and still didn't work as expected. My current mustache bar already has a second revision to it. I did the harness mods myself, again a chunk of time. Although I think I spent more time in the back of the car soldering the modified harness into the car.

The objective from the start was to get everything under the lid. That wasn't hard once I found the right person who was willing to work on the small pieces I needed fabbed or made.

Heres where I started

D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had room for the single large Suby fan. Wired to run at full when it kicks on.

Yes I did loose passive air flow! But I accomplished no cutting of my car. No added expense and time running pipes under the car. No difficulty with air lock, filling of the rad. Regardless, you have to admit it is pretty damn creative, AND it works so far. The fan kicks in at 200F and runs for a few minutes and cools down to 190F. This is at a dead stand still. I have only driven it around the hood a few times. My exhaust isn't complete. Running without a muffler. It maintains a steady temp without issues.
I know, very few have succeeded in a rear rad. If I end up with issues, I still can go the route of a front rad. Wouldn't be to difficult, just time and money.
Brian Mathe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works in the back, keep it. I just didn't see any pics of a fan and didn't think you would make it that far without one. Otherwise, looks like a nice fit and done well. Good luck with your car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works in the back, keep it. I just didn't see any pics of a fan and didn't think you would make it that far without one. Otherwise, looks like a nice fit and done well. Good luck with your car.

Brian, I spent a long, long time deciding if this was the way to do it. Believe me, I read every post that covered a rear radiator. It was only after that and the guy who did the TIG welding on my manifold, suggested it. As he described it, some of the cars that compete at Pikes Peak Challenge have rear rads. Besides I wasn't confident in finding the right tubing and being able to bend it up myself. Once I came across the idea of making a cloth fiberglass shroud, I was sold.

Thanks for the positives guys. Because of the challenges I had, I was waiting for success before showing my hand.

As others have said, without those who have paved the way and shared their experiences, I couldn't have done this.

Heres a good look at how well the rad tucks up and out of the way. It is also a good look at my mustache bar. It is bolted up to the Small Car mounts. Cant see the ends of my bar, but they run parallel to the car. All I did was turn the steel slot inside the rubber hanger.
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres is my over flow/fill tank. Originally it was a lot bigger. Mat tacked it up and after a test fit it was drastically reduced in size.

This pix is deceptive in how well things are hidden when looking from the read. Actually can see the oil pan, and the very rad support bracket. You get a glimpse of the start of my exhaust. I copied others.

I purchased these from Columbia River Mandrel. Now I have to go rent that welder one more time. I swear as many times as I rented it, I culd have paid for it.

Yea, Yea, Yea my welds suck. I do have to say that the first ones were ground down smooth. I was in a hurry and was making second passes as insurance. The problem was not being able to dial the welder in. I blew through a few times and had to turn down the volts. If I find some extra time I will pull it off and grind my bird shit off. As you can see, this is where my exhaust ends as of now. I need an O2 bung right after the second bank. The current issue is space and the lack there of. I need to make a hard 90 turn to the back of the car. I just do not have much room for a muffler of any size. It will have to be round or pretty damn small and flat. I will need to raise it slightly higher so it doesn't hang low. I just have too many things in the way. I talked with a local exhaust shop, they want to see it, but not sure if I will get what I want on my limited funds. I also need to research Columbia River and see what they can make. Besides I can always find a need to rent the welder again.
Corysvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome build, I was thinking of doing a subi conversion on my square as well if my current motor takes a dump. One thing that kind of keeps me from doing it as well is the cutting of the front of the car for a radiator. Like this idea Very Happy
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!! Will it be at VWotG?
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corysvdub, It can be done. This was done in my garage with mostly your typical stuff. I rented a MIG welder from Home Depot after I had pieces cut and ready to be welded. The only pieces I farmed out was the intake, oil pan, and the overflow tank. I thought he would do the exhaust for me but I only wanted to spend 300, rightfully so he declined. He was the one who told me about Columbia River for the exhaust pieces. Before this the most daring car project I had ever undertaken was putting a 5 speed in a 68 Cougar that had a 3 speed automatic originally. The key is the intake and fan shroud. The rest is stuff everyone else has done and written about. If you have any particular questions about any one thing let me know. I have other pix or can shoot more.

Ian, I didn't realize VWoTG is so close! I would like to try to be there, just not sure if I can get it done. I ordered the rest of my exhaust parts yesterday, and I have a muffler. Not much time to check for gremlins. To run up to Denver for one of the very first drives would be risky. We will see. Not sure where you are, but If I don't make it there, I can always catch you at another event.

Thanks guys. As soon as I finish the exhaust I'll post it.
Corysvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thank you, I have actually used Columbia River mandrel bends on my exhaust. They have good prices. I have a welder, just a little worried about the fitting of the radiator in the rear and keeping it cool.
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corysvdub wrote:
Cool thank you, I have actually used Columbia River mandrel bends on my exhaust. They have good prices. I have a welder, just a little worried about the fitting of the radiator in the rear and keeping it cool.

Once I am fully running on the street and can monitor how well, or not so well the rear rad works I will put up some info.

Dave
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dave, looking good!! any updates?

kris
70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D2NE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was able to spend some time and add a muffler and O2 bung to the exhaust. Turned out pretty good. I still need a hanger, and sensor, but all in all I am very pleased. Car sounds great. Nice and quiet (Sleeper)

I didn't show this before but I utilized the Subaru charcoal canister and added a fuel cut-off switch.

Here is the a good shot of how it tucks up and out of the way.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: