Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member, long time owner of 66 beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

After lurking on and off for a number of years, I decided I should join.
In 1995 I bought my first car- a 66 beetle. Spent all my time and money throughout high school on it. Sometime around 1999, I took the entire front suspension off and its sat there since in the garage. The main reason it was never reassembled and completely finished was my moving out on my own.
Over the years, I've wanted to get this car back together but for various reasons its not happened. Yet.
I was a regular fixture at all the central fl vw events in the mid 90's. Corky used to let me freely roam around his shop and grounds when I was a teen. I miss those days.
I'm going to be making the time to get the old girl back together and better than ever. I will have lots of questions and I will post some pics when I can get over to my folks' place.
If anyone in the central fl area would like to get together and give me some advice, I'll buy the beers! Smile

Where I'm at right now is a fairly well finished and restored bug with everything ahead of the windshield and firewall removed. Some of the parts are boxed, some are gone all together. I have a brand new beam I bought way back when. The tie rods aren't fitting, if I remember correctly. No master cylinder. New steering box. No gas tank. I have some pretty cool parts I put away in the 90's. I have to get this done. We want to sell the house this year or next.
I'm in the process of building an rv out of an old school bus, so juggling two projects is going to be difficult but I will make the time.
codycat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome

post some pics of it if you have any

my first vw was a 66 t1 - loved it -- they will and always remain a work in progress lol
Dr. Seuss
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! My first 2 bugs were 66's. Had a lot of fun with them, and got hooked. You came to the right place. You will almost always get help with an issue quickly, and we all love these little cars.

Getting some pictures up will get you better answers.

Good luck!
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Well, school bus builds and moped projects have kept me pretty busy and the house isn't being sold. My folks bought a new Tiguan and want the beetle out of the garage.
Its been in the same spot hibernating for 21 years now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've got a stock width beam with adjusters. Waiting on a pitman arm and two tie rod ends.
I had a set of new polished 5 spokes I bought and put away in 1997 but they were stolen.

Digging through my old boxes of parts was fun. Found lots of stuff from Gene Berg, BFY, Rocky Mountain Motorworks, Kymco, and more!

Getting this old bug back on the road this summer one way or another.

Still need wheels, gas tank, master cylinder, and a few other things. And the garage has been mostly cleaned out since the pic.

Hard to tell but under the centimeter of dust that's built up its Guards Red with Gran Prix White. Oatmeal hand stitched tweed interior. 90's PIP roof rack!
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Maybe I need to ask somewhere else. But would any of you have any wheel suggestions?
Stock width beam adjusted down about 2" or so. Stock drums.
Wheels are all missing except two stock slotted ones on rear. Rear suspension is stock but may drop it down VERY slightly in the future.

What aftermarket wheel tire combo would you recommend?

I want to go with something like a 195/65 or even bigger on the rear and I'm thinking I'll try 145's in the front.
I definitely want aftermarket wheels. What do I need? A 4.5" front and 5.5" rear? Will a 6.5" rear fit without rubbing?
Any thoughts?
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

It you intend to never change over from drum brakes my vote would be old school 3 1\2 inch centerline up front 6 inch rear. You can't use disc brakes with these.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

What I'd really like would be an OG set of Deano Dyno Soars. But I mow lawns for a living lol.

But I'm thinking something a little less racy. Maybe if I didn't have all the chrome trim and if I had Cal windows I'd go with that style wheel. IDK how the centerlines would look with the roof rack etc.

I really like the look of the empi 5's but I doubt a 5.5" wheel will fit very well up front.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Got my first round of new parts in Friday.
New early tie rod ends, new pitman arm, and a few other bits to get the front end back together.
Gonna figure out what wheels to get this week.
I'm leaning toward a set of 4.5/5.5 BRMs or I may even try some of the Fuchs wide five replicas since they're available in the widths I'm looking for.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

So I swapped outer tie rod ends for earlier ends. Odd that the Puma beam I bought new 20 years ago has the smaller tapers in the spindles.
So I have early outers and late inners.

Will be putting these on this week and I've gotta put the steering column and wheel back together. Been apart so long I REALLY hope I have all the parts!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Welcome to our world! I, too, dabble in bugs and scooters!!
I have a Kymco myself-and a few others!
I like the color combination! I bet you excited to get it up and running. Show it some love
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

YES I am!!
THANKS!

I don't usually get emotionally attached to vehicles. Except this one.

Here are a couple of my Tomos mopeds-
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

NIce man!!! I’ve always loved small motors. Treatland.tv is your friend!!!😂😂😂
Tons of info here for you to browse. Like Muir says-gotta love your bug!!
compdrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Are you still located in FL?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

welcome to samba! I too have a 66. nice Bug!

the elderly classic Bug deserves the garage, the new car should sit out in the rain. Tell your parents that when they get elderly, how do they want to be treated, a nice dry warm place, or a cold wet place!

Keep Buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Please save your pictures to the Samba gallery. Otherwise, they'll disappear. And welcome!
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
NIce man!!! I’ve always loved small motors. Treatland.tv is your friend!!!😂😂😂
Tons of info here for you to browse. Like Muir says-gotta love your bug!!

Yeah, they know me well over at Treats!

But all my motor-love came from my obsession with old VW's when I was a kid.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

compdrag wrote:
Are you still located in FL?

Yes I am. I'm in Eustis, the car is currently in Lady Lake.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
welcome to samba! I too have a 66. nice Bug!

the elderly classic Bug deserves the garage, the new car should sit out in the rain. Tell your parents that when they get elderly, how do they want to be treated, a nice dry warm place, or a cold wet place!

Keep Buggin!

After 20+ years in that same spot, I really want this beetle to see some use.
And I've got a garage full of mopeds but there's always room for a beetle!
compdrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Cool moving to mayport at the end of the month. Maybe we will cross paths at car shows in the future. looking forward to seeing it restored
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Hopefully its up and running in time for the next Bug Jam.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: