Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member, long time owner of 66 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Super cool that you kept the car over time.

Even better that it’s your 1st car, try to hang onto that!

I am a 66’ fan as well, building one now.

Good luck with it, I’ll be watching your progress!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks man!

Yeah, I was SUPER into VW's in the early to late 90's. I've had one of everything except a Thing or Ghia.
I've forgotten a TON of stuff in the last 20 years, though.

Looking for a bolt for my pitman arm at the moment. Can't seem to find mine.

Glad I kept the car a "resto custom" when I was originally building it. Its still my favorite look.

I'd never get rid of this car. I've had it through thick and thin. The last time I ever drove it my little brother was with me and still alive. He's been gone for several years now. I don't get sentimental about machines. Except this one.

I've lurked and browsed the forum on and off over the years. Glad to see so many folks still enjoying these old cars.

Still can't find a set of wheels I love and not sure what will really fit till its all put together and all that. Read through that HUGE wheel/tire thread but still can't really decide what would best suit my needs. I'd like a set of 4.5" sprintstars of brm's for the front and 5.5" or even 6.5" for the rear if they'll fit.
I don't want super skinny tires in the front, so trying to avoid 135's. I'll be running 2"-3" of drop in front on a stock width adjustable beam I bought from Kymco back in 97' and its just sat till now. Stock brakes etc. Will probably spring for some adjustable spring plates for just a wee bit of drop in the rear. Hoping to fit 205/65's back there, or maybe something a wee bit smaller. IDK.
dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I totally understand, boy I am so sorry that you lost your brother, wow I can’t imagine

Glad to see you’re back on it! Yeah, the wheel choice is a really tough one

Yeah, the tire & wheel thread is super long! I would think you could fit those tires on the rear
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glee7007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I have a '66, too. Same two toned color scheme. Good luck getting her fixed up!
compdrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I know the sentimental thing you got. My 61 is truly the only car my grandfather and I have ever worked on together, and got running. I will never be able to sell her because of that. I know he is still with me just one of the best memories I shared with him.

Can't wait to see you get this thing back on the road.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I'm being held up waiting on a pitman arm bolt.

What are the chances my local Ace Hardware has something that will work?
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

compdrag wrote:
I know the sentimental thing you got. My 61 is truly the only car my grandfather and I have ever worked on together, and got running. I will never be able to sell her because of that. I know he is still with me just one of the best memories I shared with him.

Can't wait to see you get this thing back on the road.

Thanks man, me too.

This car hasn't even been vacuumed or washed since 1997 or so. Still has me and my brother's trash in the ashtray.

Its amazing how many of us have these cars we're emotionally connected to.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:

I don't know, but pay attention to the strength rating of the bolt you use. That's a safety-critical, single-point failure item.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
EastCoastCB wrote:

I don't know, but pay attention to the strength rating of the bolt you use. That's a safety-critical, single-point failure item.

Absolutely!

I'm probably going to order one. I'll just buy enough extra stuff that I won't have to pay shipping for one single bolt.

I think I've settled on wheels. The 911 knock offs with the wide 5 pattern are available in the width and offset that I think I'm after. 4.5's in front with 5.5's in the rear.

I PROMISE to get pics up, and this time I'll save them here. Its tough because my folks live about 25 miles from me and I mow lawns all summer.

And while I have this project going on, I'm in the process of swapping engines in a school bus I own.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Pitman arm bolt finally on its way.
Progress is slow, but at least I'm getting somewhere!
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Got a set of the wide 5 porsche fuchs knock offs. 4.5" front with 145's and 5.5 rear with 195/65's.
They'll be here in a week or so! Very Happy
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

No updates yet. The wheels/tires are taking a little longer than I hoped but should be here Thursday!

And I bought another bus... A school bus of course. 1999 Freightliner/Thomas with a high hp Cat. My love of VW buses is what got me into fixing up school buses.

Will report back with pics when the wheels and stuff come in.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

The wheels/tires came in. Man what a hassle!
The idiots at CIP1 screwed it all up. I ordered 145's and 4.5" wheels for the front and 195/65's and 5.5" wheels for the rear.
I got two 5.5" wheels with 145's mounted, one 195 on a 4.5", and one 195 on a 5.5". Evil or Very Mad

They're not even going to "fix" this. They're sending me a bare 4.5" wheel. What a bunch of idiots over there!

Now I get to take a day off to go have the tires remounted.
Where do you folks in central FL go for balancing with wide 5's?
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

If you have nice new wheels & don't want weights on them, throw ~3 oz of balancing beads in each tire. You can get them @ your local tire store or your FLAPS. Never need to look for someone with an adapter again!!!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
The idiots at CIP1 screwed it all up. I ordered 145's and 4.5" wheels for the front and 195/65's and 5.5" wheels for the rear.
I got two 5.5" wheels with 145's mounted, one 195 on a 4.5", and one 195 on a 5.5". Evil or Very Mad

They're not even going to "fix" this. They're sending me a bare 4.5" wheel. What a bunch of idiots over there!

Where in CF? I’m in the WinterPark/Winter Springs area and have used the Firestone on a RedBug several times. I have the wide 5 adapter plate. Ask them to put the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel instead of the rim edge ones.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
EastCoastCB wrote:

Where in CF? I’m in the WinterPark/Winter Springs area and have used the Firestone on a RedBug several times. I have the wide 5 adapter plate. Ask them to put the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel instead of the rim edge ones.

I'm in Eustis. The local tire shops are horrendous.
There's an ACVW place in Tampa said they'd swap my tires around for $90.
Tampa is a heck of a drive but there's a MMJ dispensary over there I've been wanting to check out.
CIP1 REALLY SUCKS! They asked for MULTIPLE pictures and I even ended up having to make a video to show them their mistake. Only one 4.5" wheel and its on the rear?? DERP! Their "kind" offer of sending me the 4.5" wheel I'm missing was a total laugh but at least I'm getting it. From the tone of the emails I was starting to think I was SOL.
The wheels currently have the stick on weights inside the wheel, and yeah I'm looking to get them balanced that way this time around too.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
EastCoastCB wrote:

I'm in Eustis. The local tire shops are horrendous.
There's an ACVW place in Tampa said they'd swap my tires around for $90.
Tampa is a heck of a drive but there's a MMJ dispensary over there I've been wanting to check out.
CIP1 REALLY SUCKS! They asked for MULTIPLE pictures and I even ended up having to make a video to show them their mistake. Only one 4.5" wheel and its on the rear?? DERP! Their "kind" offer of sending me the 4.5" wheel I'm missing was a total laugh but at least I'm getting it. From the tone of the emails I was starting to think I was SOL.
The wheels currently have the stick on weights inside the wheel, and yeah I'm looking to get them balanced that way this time around too.

Ah, you're a bit aways from here, but I would think any Firestone would do it. I've built a relationship with the local one. I'm the "VW Guy" and they know what I'm in for when I hit the front door.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Do you have to bring your adapter plate or do they have one?

I was hoping to have this car ready to drive for the Bug Jam this year but I'm starting to realize it may be next year.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
Do you have to bring your adapter plate or do they have one?

I was hoping to have this car ready to drive for the Bug Jam this year but I'm starting to realize it may be next year.

I bought one and take it with me. If you were in my neck of the woods Id be willing to meet you and loan it to the shop. If you don’t want to invest in one maybe look into the dynabeads or whatever they’re called.
EastCoastCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I'll buy one.

Got a guy in Tampa that's going to mount em next weekend.
Next up is a new gas tank and all associated parts and the shift linkage has to be sorted out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: