Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

may have a fight on my hands....
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: may have a fight on my hands.... Reply with quote

Well, not really, but I just need the forums backing on this. Long story, but I am building a bus for a customer (this is the last bus I do for the general public)

Anyway, this guy had an engine built by a guy on here who is held on a platter to a degree. Anyway its a 1776 with dual(choked) solex single barrels. I told the guy that he was going to hate them, due to the goofy idle and tuning issues.

Fast forward to the other day. I hit the key, it pops and farts but runs "ok". Bailing smoke (black) and has the signature 2 cyl idle.

The builder told me not to use balance tubes (huge mistake) but in the customers interest, I will honor the builders request. This was "dyno tuned" but I feel it's not my problem, and the customer should pay to make it as good as it can be. I didn't build it, its full of china parts etc...

What would you do? I have had this bus for 8 months, but only logged 2 weeks worth of work on it....guy is over budget and I have stored it free in a heated/ac shop. I have to move on, but don't have it in me to stuff it outside but will have no choice soon

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install it and move on... Hate to say it but the engine build is on the customer. You can only stand behind the work you performed.

I would be asking for storage fees at this point. Indoor space is a premium.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a business and customer service standpoint, throw the ball into the customer's court. Lay the situation out for them, the engine needs some tuning based on your dyno experience with it. See if they want you to just press on and install it or put a couple more hours into it. Even if they want you to just go ahead and get it out of the shop you can leave it a bit open ended - we could just do some more work at a later date after some miles are on the bus - that might be easier for the customer to swallow.

You can lead a customer in a certain direction, but let it be their decision.. that prevents (or at least minimizes) disputes in the end.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am trying to do is avoid the blow out. Problem is, someone will ask "who built the bus" and the customer will go on and on about had bad it runs when "I let it go" from the shop.

They never say "skills killed it, but let me tell you about the engine guy" people have the perception the I "own it"...all of it.

He has been a reasonable guy for sure and I feel bad that he is over budget, but I can't help that. I don't control w.w. prices. I try to be fair on the labor, and have eaten a bunch of hours now.

I need like 2500/3500 more and that will make it as complete as I was hired to do...then off for interior

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Install it and move on... Hate to say it but the engine build is on the customer. You can only stand behind the work you performed.

Seems like the obvious answer.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:

I would be asking for storage fees at this point. Indoor space is a premium.

x2
Oh we're all dying to know who built the engine! Actually I don't even need to hear you say it... Laughing

I do hear your concerns about the "who built it" dillema. You are definitely right about that...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
From a business and customer service standpoint, throw the ball into the customer's court. Lay the situation out for them, the engine needs some tuning based on your dyno experience with it. See if they want you to just press on and install it or put a couple more hours into it.

good advice, I would also get them to sign off on your recommendations (and consequences) and that they declined them.

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a good/excellent reputation as evidenced by the buyers and sellers feedback. One person will not change that. The ball is/should be in the customers court and any complaints he has should be with the engine builder. Drive it out of the shop as is and deliver it back to the customer when he pays your final bill.

It's time for a divorce.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes back to one thing - what you promised the guy and at what price. If it is not in writing then he said she said and no one is going to be happy. Also you say he is over budget - your bill or the other guy? You answer it to yourself. Ask yourself - how would I want to be treated and how would a jury of peers feel about this. Life is not fair and no one may be happy with the outcome on this regardless.

If you agreed to tune it you are stuck. If you agreed to put the motor in and he paid the builder to tune it then the builder is stuck. The question will also be who provided the carbs and bolted them on.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more comments on the replies here...back soon have a disaster to deal with at the moment

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, documentation is so important.. Paperwork, photos, video, etc - there's no reason not to do it in an age where smartphones are everywhere. Get some pictures of your awesome work, maybe a video of the engine running mediocre on the dyno if you still can, and lots of photos/video of it just before it leaves your shop.

It's saved my bacon more than once! My wife and I own a business in a completely unrelated field, but the principle is the same.

Prepare for war, but assume that the customer is going to remain a friend - treat them fairly and honestly, and try to keep them as a customer.

Sorry, I'll stop now.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I need like 2500/3500 more and that will make it as complete as I was hired to do...then off for interior

I'm guessing that he is squared away money wise with you as of now and he needs to pay you this ^ much more for you to finish your end of the rebuild. Is this correct?

I'm a bit lost on your question. Is it strictly about what you should do with the engine or about what you should do about the rest of the rebuild? Or both?

You're in Connecticut and I'm also guessing that this builder in in So Cal. So it's not like you're gonna ship the engine XC to have it fixed. I agree that it shouldn't be your problem but it has become your problem.

Is this guy expecting you to fix the engine without paying? Is he pissed that he is gonna have to spent more money to get this bus going and he's already over budget from what you told him originally?

Obviously your reputation is important to you and I would say that you should fix it before it leaves your shop. Let's say the guy agrees to pay the $2500/3500 for you to finish your work I would 100% fix the issues with the engine. If guy says he's not paying you to finish the work I wouldn't fix the engine and tell him to come get the bus. We all know you gotta pay to play and if he's not paying the you're not storing the bus.

If you end up fixing the engine and eating the labor, you should create a bill and send it off to the engine builder. You won't get paid but your statement will be heard.

BTW, when I drop my bus off at the shop it goes with beer and cash (usually at least 50% of what the bill is going to be). This way he knows I'm serious and if he needs to buy some parts we haven't discussed he doesn't have to reach into his own pocket to buy them.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
70westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Document everything.. Write it out for the customer.

State Facts:

I was hired to do ~this~.

Document that the engine was not built by you.

Clearly state what you have done:

I did ___
I did ___
I did ___

Give options:

Here is what I recommend you do:

Here is what I can do:

Here is what I will Not do:

Lay it all out in plain english, hand it over, and let the chips fall where they may.

jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfection is a double edged sword. If you send that Bus out into the world with that motor,
it won't be perfect. If you touch the motor, you now own it... till the bitter end.
It sounds like the owner has found where to draw the line, now you have to as well.
Remember, it's the last customer bus you're gonna do anyway.
72 Baja
modernbeat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a shop that builds road race cars. Customers bring us their own parts to install, or cars with substandard work already performed. We simply refuse the work. It's that simple. Our reputation is golden and building with bad parts, or on a faulty foundation is a recipe for trouble and blame. We know better. The customer does not. One reason they come to us is because of our knowledge and judgement. If they don't respect that, there are other, lower quality, shops that will service them.

If I were in your shoes and the customer brought me a questionable or known-to-be-troublesome engine, and your shop builds engines, I would have either told them no, that you will not take the job unless you either built an engine or rebuilt their engine (regardless of how new it was). It was a matter of reputation and you wouldn't have your reputation tarnished by adding an engine that you knew to be substandard.

At this point, you're stuck. I'd just refuse to install the engine. Complete all the other work you are hired to do and return the rolling bus to the customer. They can install and tune their own bad parts.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider a chat with the engine builder with dyno info and maybe a video if it can be managed. See what they have to say and then the those results to the owner. If nothing comes of the discussion with the builder you have it documented and the owner has all info possible to make some choices.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good comments by all

my main question I suppose (and admit I went sideways on the question) is am I obligated to eat the time to make the engine right? I don't think so at all.

the bus came to me as a painted shell. I was hired to strip the bus/reassemble the bus. upon stripping it, I made a 4-5 page list of all missing/broken/worn the F*ck out parts.

while it was getting body work done, the owner never contacted me on buying parts. this would have taken the sting out of the overall cost. I estimated around 10-15k parts and labor. I figured about 6k to reassemble the bus...that included blast/paint/polish and so on. (you guys have seen my work, and the speed at which I can do it)

the issue is I feel everyone wants the Subaru bus...but for 10k. as it is, I am working for him at a discounted rate, about 30/hr less than my shop rate.

when he came to see the bus, I could tell he was fed up, but swears it's not with me, but the cost. to add insult to injury I stopped detailing his bus after month 3...his bus should have been a no brainer put back together in a month, month and a half IF I HAD ALL the parts. I was having a tough time finding him. wouldn't respond to emails/text/calls for days....sometimes weeks. so, I wasn't wasting my time microfiber/spray waxing his bus.

never in my life have I had to hound a customer to finish a project...yet it has been in my way this whole time. I don't need/want to be responsible for the first scratch on this thing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a fellow VW professional, i am not seeing what the issue is...

did you build the engine? no.
were you hired to "fine tune" the engine? doesn't sound like it.

i know for a fact that our shop is always honest and goes above and beyond on nearly every job.
does that mean that there is no one out there that that has something bad to say about us? probably not.
some people just can't be pleased and those are the ones that you just have to let go (and as you've said: sometimes it's the situation, not the person).

i let my wrenches speak for themselves.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did the "dyno tuning"? Is the engine in the vehicle? Can you deliver it to him "as is". Does he owe you money now for work that has been done? Do you have the "mechanics lien" process in CT? If he doesn't reply in a timely manner, put the ball in his court and play hardball.

You have a good reputation and it won't be tarnished by one person, or an engine builder and his customer. They may not want to do business with you again and that may be a blessing.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't run it. Finish your part and have it taken to the engine builders shop to complete the work. When it's runnning, have it back to finish your details... if it gets that far. Your part of the bargain is completed, get paid for the work done before it leaves. You can have it go knowing your part was done well and the motor part left to the motor builder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: