Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

may have a fight on my hands....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I am coming back to this. just returned from show with the deluxe. more at 10:00 Evil or Very Mad

Kevlar vest donned. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue77bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aero~

could be old gas, etc...not my problem. I thing it runs like a bag of assholes, again, not my problem.

I spoke with him yesterday. the bus runs, stops (using ebrake only) and is about 80% complete.

still need to:

finish brakes
tie up a few loose ends in wiring
finish right side ball joints
install tie rod ends
all glass
pop top tent
install front seats
etc

he is to worry about the interior. I tried to get him to take it the fuck out of my way, do the interior and bring it back when he can. then I got the it's going to cost me xxxxx to tow it home, blaaaa blaaaa blaaaa.

I got pissed. told him I have 90% of the parts I need. I am going to rip thru this thing and pay me when you can. if you don't pay me, I don't give a fuck at this point. the space your bus is taking up is far more valuable than the 1,500-2k I will "make" off the job.

shame on me for trying to help, give a discounted rate on the labor, free fucking storage for 8 months (adding up the time cards I have logged 2 1/2 weeks to date...it should have taken a month, month and a half TOPS for me to do the work)

I am sorry I work too fast for your checkbook. how many fucking disaster restoration stories do you hear that go like this:

"shop A has had my car for 23 months and hasn't gotten anything done. I am out 4k blaaaa fuckin blaaa"

now, you have me who can build a bus from a oil stain move at an above average rate of speed who is begging the customer to get this thing done...what is wrong with this picture?

fuck the excuses...I don't care if your wife is cheating on you with her brother, if your kid lit the cat on fire, if your boiler shot through your roof, if your boss is a dick, if you have a bad case of the clap, if your sister is banging your fathers uncles wifes cousin...it's called life. we all have personal problems...they are not MY PROBLEM

my problem is to get your car back together, the right way (or as "right" as you can afford) if I was dropping the ball, he would be all over Gods green earth telling people what a douche I am...but I'm not...I am working too fast for his budget.

to ANYONE that even *thinks* about paying someone (reputable) to do a car for you....know this.... the name of the game is get it done. it isn't "layaway motors, building your dream one payment at a time" I gave a reasonable estimate (not like I didn't just build one from the ground up) I stand to "make" under 5k for building a whole bus which includes running all over the place for shit, polishing/sand blasting/painting etc etc.....more work than it's worth.

so, the punch line is, I will take a loss just to get on with my life. and if my phone rings about doing a build for someone ever again I will just hang up. I don't care if you come with a 50 pound bag of 100's. if people think the have it "so bad" with me.... they have no idea what's really out there

and I'm back at 11:15...so bite me Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be old gas, etc...not my problem. I think it runs like a bag of assholes, again, not my problem.
Applause
There's the Skills we know Very Happy well said indeed. Sounds like you went above and beyond. Sorry you got bent on the deal. I appreciate your input on the forum.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the semi rant....but as most of you know, I take this stuff seriously. the problem is when you talk to people, the ALL talk like "I'm so-and-so what's it cost and when can you get it done?" so, you tell them that the parts are what they are and I try to get close to what they should expect. labor is pretty much a set price, but as always when the project get out of hand, I am responsible?

it is no surprise when you have a naked car that you need it all. not to mention that is was hacked by years of p/o's....right down to the coolant hose used to hook the lower reservoir tube to the master cylinder. uggh...this too shall come to pass

whatever. lesson learned

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the semi rant....

Rant?, I don't think so, you took the words right out of my mouth Razz

I've been dealing with a similar build, the guy's bank account isn't keeping up lately and I'm considering charging him storage, 2/3's of the job has been undoing a previous "expert"s F' ups. The dude's always saying "How much?, I've already got $XXXXX into this!", I try to explain that if he hadn't gone with the lowest bidder the first time that money could have moved the project forward instead of making more work for me, he's come around but I think his wife has found out what he's done to thier life savings in the process. I feel bad for the guy, but not bad enough to work on his crap for free.

And I just went through rebuilding the doors on my 71, I think your time estimates are a little low Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The dude's always saying "How much?, I've already got $XXXXX into this!"

THAT is my favorite line...that is when I say I didn't tell you to do it. Also followed up with the other guy got paid, so why can't I?

Or they blow $$$ on stupid shit that isn't needed till the very end of the project...like stereo, wheels, etc....

Thankfully, no previous shops douchebaggery to undo, but just simply years of neglect to catch up with.

The bus was pretty complete, but every bit of it was trashed....it honestly wouldn't have been a good parts car. It didn't have 1 useable part...I think the switches and wiper motor were the only things saved from the bus. It was that bad

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm dealing with this guy that i am working on his $100,00+ L88 corvette. cheap fucker bought a china heater core that started leaking after 2 days of being in Mad . the master cylinder is blown out along with the booster, radiator is rusted out, ect... Rolling Eyes . whoever buys this thing when it goes to auction is screwed Shocked
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya- but did it have a $200 bud vase on the dash? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes - I feel that pain- had some of the same stuff fixing boats. Finally decided -a few rules Twisted Evil

ONE- nobody needed a boat but Noah.

TWO- You can't make payments and take the boat as-- you will just spend the money having a nice boating weekend on MY MONEY.

Three- You want to supply your own part? Get the fuck outa here.-- BUT- you can pay for them before I buy them.

15 years -never went to court- But did stand in a guys boat in his driveway once-- with wrenches in my hand.

So would not worry about how much shit one guy writes on your wall-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely, 100% correct, skills.. except that I would have started charging him storage fees.. Some time is ok, but Months? Aw hell naw...

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...you poor soul!.... Cool This is why I have not worked on others peoples cars except out of favors for good friends or good Samaritan/emergency service for a long time.

Its bad enough doing the resto work you guys are doing...but all I really work on is type 4 cars anymore.
I have had numerous people ask if I could do entire front suspension resto work for them...or whole sub-assemblies. I would love too...but I know that none of these peoples bank accounts or time tables could keep up with the realities of type 4 car parts fabrication.

I mean....when you guys have to start rebuilding centerlinks....or making your own struts...or casting your own gaskets, window gaskets and weatherstripping, making your own tie-rods...and making balljoints.....and the whole slew of other stuff that is just not for sale....its game over for doing it for other people.

I think a lot more of the bus resto work is moving that direction. Finish this one and get out while you have some sanity. Wink Ray
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our company had a 54 chevy pick up built as a promotional vehicle. The shop that did the work would only go so far before we had to pay to catch up and the work stopped until payment was received. They also only gave us 10 days to pay after emailing the invoice before we got notices of late payment. I believe for big parts items we had to pay in advance.

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring in a stray cat and that is what you get 9 out of 10 times. It is also why buses are a dying breed. TCASH said it best in his animation. Maybe he can do another one from the perspective of the end seller and mechanic. Smile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Bring in a stray cat and that is what you get 9 out of 10 times. It is also why buses are a dying breed. TCASH said it best in his animation. Maybe he can do another one from the perspective of the end seller and mechanic. Smile

That would be hilarious! .....but Tcash did not do that one I dont think. I saw it about 3 years ago.....but there are hundreds of videos on you tube using the same two critters doing comparison videos for a huge range of subjects. There must be a program or plug-in to do them. Ray
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys that used to work on my vw's let me get my own parts after i had been a client for a while and showed some aptitude. I have been in enough shit shows in construction with owner supplying things to not show up without every part, gasket and screw.
If you were storing his project while he was parts chasing (or not, by the sound if it) I'd think storage must be discussed.its one thing for a project to molder in the corner of my barn. It's another when it is taking up your space and getting g in the way. Tell him to come over and roll it outside or better yet drag it home and do not come back without all the bits needed to finish.
As to the engine running like hell now? WTF does he expect after not supplying parts in a timely fashion?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills, thought of you on Saturday when I dropped off my bus.

I took the Mechanic to lunch, left him with quality parts, a 12 pack, some of Colorados finest and $500 (to get started). I found things get done faster and you get better workman ship when you pay in advance.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of the smartest and coolest bosses many, many eons ago and,
he would politely run this by the customer.

"would you bring a steak to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you"

Stand your ground on this job!!!! and maybe let him go here and read what others think of this ball of Shit your customer has created.

On a lighter note: In the movie 'Oceans Eleven ' They weighed the $100.00
bills in 50 pound increments . Razz
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:

"would you bring a steak to a restaurant and ask them to cook it for you"

That's great!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Answers.com

"Considering each U.S. bill weighs exactly one gram, and there are 454 grams to a pound that means one pound of $100 bills would be worth $45,400... multiply this by 50 and you get about $2,270,000 for 50 pounds of $100 bills!"

Aloha
tp
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
from Answers.com

"Considering each U.S. bill weighs exactly one gram, and there are 454 grams to a pound that means one pound of $100 bills would be worth $45,400... multiply this by 50 and you get about $2,270,000 for 50 pounds of $100 bills!"

Aloha
tp

Sounds good but its not actually true. There is no "exact"weight for each bill. I work in the printing industry and have aquaintances at the Mint and bureau of engraving. Even with as fairly uniform as sheetfed gravure is (almost a misnomer in its, own right...its archaic) ....the ink deposit .....especially across three to four inks, two of which are metallic, plus the plastic x ray strips and the natural weight variation of the rag paper used.....the exact weights can vary considerably.....half gram variations would be common. The idea of exact gram weight...is a design estimate. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: