Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Rebuild - Paint AS41 Case
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dma1260
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Engine Rebuild - Paint AS41 Case Reply with quote

Hello ALL !

I'm in the middle of a complete Engine rebuild - I have my case split and I have it all cleaned up. Brought it over to great local VW shop (Triangle in Orlando) and got my block, Cam & Crank blessed by those who know. They told me all of the above were in good shape.

Now here is the question . . which of paints I posted here (see picture) should I use to paint the case (outside ONLY of course !) have you used either of these to paint your older case (mine is an AK from early 70's) and should I be careful of any unforeseen issues with painting a case ? ! I have it all clean using Mineral sprits (here's a TIP . . NEVER USE Purple Power on Mag. / Aluminium) I used it to clean my Oil Cooler . . Purple Power just about ate the thing ! I planned on replacing it anyway . . (had a dropped valve in my #4 sending metal through out the case) but I was amazed by what the P-Power did to it. Glad I did not use it on my case ! ! So just a heads up !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyway . . what paint should I use . . and or what other suggestions if you used something else !

Thanks !

Tony Boom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't paint it. It WILL look like crap a few years later. It WILL start flaking off.

Some say the engine will run hotter, but there's no proof.

if you MUST paint it, paint it red, because we all know red is the fastest color.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dma1260
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Case - Paint Reply with quote

If I don't paint it . . should I treat the surface with something to extend it's life ? I was concerned that painting it would make it run hotter ? ! But you say there is no proof of this ?

I was wondering if I sprayed it down with WD40 it would keep it clean and looking good. I tried this on the mount to the Oil Cooler after I cleaned it and it really cleaned up nice and the surface looks great (a lot less flakey & dry) any experience with this . . bad Idea ? was worried that when the block heated up the smell of WD40 might be unpleasant ? !

Thoughts . . if there is another product (other then paint and or WD40) to treat the case with (outside ONLY) please let me know.

Thanks !

Tony Boom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't paint it for the reason Glenn said, it won't last. Really, very little of the case is visible once it has all the tins and shroud and pulley installed.
As for it cooling and making it last, if painting it helped, VW would have done it.

Last edited by Howard 111 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paint my mag case engines, no problem. Use the engine paint on the case. It doesn't get hot enough to bake on the VHT paint. Use the VHT paint to give the cylinders a LIGHT coat of paint to prevent rust. It's really easy to touch up a case if the paint flakes off, but the best way to keep the paint on is to clean it very well, which it sounds like you have.

brad
dma1260
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Case - Paint Reply with quote

My case is a Mag case . . the VW shop I frequent suggests the paint on the right (not the VHT) I have no experience with that paint. But these guys ONLY deal in VW parts and engines . . so I'm sure they know what they are doing.

Case is BONE dry with NO oil on it . . and or grease. I have washed it 3 times in Mineral spirits and lightly scrapped off all stuck on goop.

Do I sand the case down VERY lightly to give it some tooth for the paint to hold on to ? or is there some other prep that I can do to it that betters the sticking value to the paint product ?

Thanks again for the info !

Tony Boom
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think about it, only 25% of the engine is visible once it's installed.

Magnesium is a nice color.

Here's my engine after 8 years and 25,000 miles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It still looks good.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cool to paint the case the same color it already is, then when it flakes off you really can't tell.

I love the VHT paint but found the "cast look" colors the metal flake is too coarse for my liking. Haven't tried the other brand, my favorite is from Regis. I painted my brake drums cast iron color and one guy from the other shop said "you just get new drums??" which is funny because I know they use that paint too on rebuilt heads. Of all people he should have known! LOL
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sand the case. Just make sure it's clean. I like to use a stainless steel coloured paint from Tremclad. It goes on very light and looks very close to raw magnesium.

brad
dma1260
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Engine - paint Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with media cleaning ? Looks like it does a nice job . . if you have it done by the right people.

Tony
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would use is baking soda, anything else is just risking trouble.

brad
Thomas Lindemann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Vapor Blasting on a VW case? http://www.vaporblasting.biz/
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a high-temp primer first then the high-temp paint. The primer will adhere to the case better, and the paint to the primer.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like "dull aluminum" it looks exactly like cast and will help seal the parting line.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ1 coatings Fast Black Paint (Satin black paint) 500 f heat paint, I have
used it for years, never flaked or ever burned off, clean case of all oils, 1 coat
is all you need, I used to by it at the motorcycle shop, but have to get it on line.

Think about it, bike cases have been painted for years and this is one if the paints
used, this paint is very durable and looks better than any other high temp or BBQ
paint I ever used in the past, although I do like the color of a brand new case, never painted a new case
for that reason.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

used it for years, never flaked or ever burned off, clean case of all oils, 1 coat
is all you need, I used to by it at the motorcycle shop, but have to get it on line.

Think about it, bike cases have been painted for years and this is one if the paints
used, this paint is very durable and looks better than any other high temp or BBQ
paint I ever used in the past, although I do like the color of a brand new case, never painted a new case
for that reason.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

for that reason.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for that reason.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle cases are usually aluminum, tho they do use a few mag parts, sometimes sidecovers, but they do a alodine treatment on those before paint, sometimes they paint them aluminum color to match the case!

Soda blast is a good way to fix ugly patches.
Don't worry the paint will stick fine even if you don't sand or blast, just get it de-greased as much as possible.
The mag is porous! that's actually the problem, as oil or water can seep through and get UNDER the paint and make the paint fall off!!!
And eventually it will fall off, but that's ok.

ENGINE paints should be tame stuff, can be removed again with strong detergents or thinners.
Don't use good autobody paint tho, then it will peel off in giant patches and just looks terrible, looks like it has a sunburn or it's MOLTING LOL, and there's no way to remove it!!!
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mag cases tend to absorb a bit of oil over the years, so cleaning with MEK or acetone, then using an acid-etch primer is the way to go - then any enamel you choose. I've never used soda-blasting, but I suspect it would work well provided you protect the mating surfaces and clean the case out really well.

Pretty much any enamel and colour you like once the prep is done - eliminate the oil problem and it never gets hot enough to problem any decent paint. Doesn't help anything, but doesn't hurt either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: