Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Tintop Westy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: 1969 Tintop Westy Reply with quote

I just bought my first bus! I found it in Michigan on the classifieds here, and while a little crunchy I couldn't leave without it. I also have a '71 Squareback, though after seeing the many joys of camping and adventuring in buses...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first owner the seller knew about bought it in '70 or '72 and used it just on the weekends to camp. It's originally pearl white, though it had a red respray at some point, followed by some questionable rattle can primer and blue metallic paint. I was reading the uncovering OG paint thread and decided to try out Citristrip- it seems to work pretty well!

It came with an engine and transmission, both out of the bus. The engine supposedly came out of another '69 bus, and the transmission I think is correct for the year? From the #s what does everybody think? And from this pic of the engine does anything pop out to anyone, anything missing/concerning?

My goal is to get it up and running for next summer, it'll definitely need some rust preventing, one of the PO's thought that's what bondo meant. It needs help in the typical places- the passenger floor, rockers/doglegs. I'm really looking forward to digging into this, and getting lots of advice along the way! Especially with the help of friends, you know who you are- obnoxiousblue and AoT! Very Happy
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That engine is out of a beetle.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php
May have come out of a bus before it got to you, but the code is for a 70 beetle. Does it attachg to the mustache bar via an oil pump adapter? Beetle cases were not tapped for the bus mustache bar. There is an adapter that uses the oil pump to hang it, but I would consider it to be less than ideal.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from the South! From a fellow '69 Westy.

You have much to look forward to. We love camping and cruising in ours.

Lot of good folks on here to help out. What I've used the most for mine:

1. this forum
2. My Bentley
3. The Muir book
4. YouTube, especially the Chris Vallone videos

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the transmission is not 69. it is a late model, do not buy a throw out bearing or pressure plate for a 69.

The picture you have is of the part number, look below it and there will be the actual code for it.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
templeofspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Tintop Westy Reply with quote

periscopebill wrote:

It came with an engine and transmission, both out of the bus. The engine supposedly came out of another '69 bus, and the transmission I think is correct for the year? From the #s what does everybody think? And from this pic of the engine does anything pop out to anyone, anything missing/concerning?

Just from looking at the engine I can tell you the crankcase is full of gas, all four exhaust valves are tight, the fuel pump diaphragm is ruptured, #1 & #2 plug wires are reversed, and the distributor cap is on backwards. Cool that it's a '70 beetle engine WITH the proper bosses for the moustache bar. And it will run tomorrow...

Trans is 72 up 002, it has the hanger mounts above the bell housing...and is missing the cross-shaft for the TOB.

Wink
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad she's home safe now Sarah.
Looking forward to helping you tinker and seeing the bus out at the campouts next season!
Lots of great people in here, some fantastic minds to pick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks shiningstar76, totally should've looked that up first. It does actually have the right case to correctly mount to the mustache bar.

And thanks ultralite for the welcome! The PO kindly passed along all of the manuals, so I'm all set up the Bentley, the aircooled engine book by Wilson, the Haynes, and a second copy of the Idiot book.

Brian wrote:
the transmission is not 69. it is a late model, do not buy a throw out bearing or pressure plate for a 69.

The picture you have is of the part number, look below it and there will be the actual code for it.

Thanks for clarifying that, here's a pic of the actual code.

templeofspeed wrote:
Just from looking at the engine I can tell you the crankcase is full of gas, all four exhaust valves are tight, the fuel pump diaphragm is ruptured, #1 & #2 plug wires are reversed, and the distributor cap is on backwards. Cool that it's a '70 beetle engine WITH the proper bosses for the moustache bar. And it will run tomorrow...

Trans is 72 up 002, it has the hanger mounts above the bell housing...and is missing the cross-shaft for the TOB.

Wink

Thanks for taking the time to go through all of that today! Really looking forward to seeing it run!

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Glad she's home safe now Sarah.
Looking forward to helping you tinker and seeing the bus out at the campouts next season!
Lots of great people in here, some fantastic minds to pick.

I can't wait to be at that point! There are so many things to do first, any interest in helping me rebuild the brakes? That can be done away from the bus right? Very Happy

Does anyone know if these brackets at the top of the picture go on a bus? I got a whole box of a lot of random things, I'm pretty sure some of it belongs on a bug..
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brackets are beetle decklid hinge supports, some of the stuff in the box is bug as well, don't throw anything out, there's alot of bus stuff in there as well as some trade material.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
templeofspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole lot of beetle parts there...brackets are type 1 decklid mounts. That cross shaft kit looks like it will work with your transmission. Bring that stuff in when you come for engine viewing.
69rulz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird your sliding door warning isn't repeated on the steering column in german as well.
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it's spring I've started digging back in to the bus. My awesome local shop has the engine in for a reseal and a few other odds and ends, while I'm working on rebuilding the carb and cleaning out the gas tank. I finally got the gas tank out, and following ratwell's site started to rinse it, which then became terrifying. I called a local radiator shop, who seemed to think it wouldn't do any good to bring it over to them. Here's a pic of what came out of it, would you guys stick with ratwell's site and acid treatment? Is there any chance of success getting it boiled out at the radiator shop?

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

periscopebill wrote:
Here's a pic of what came out of it, would you guys stick with ratwell's site and acid treatment? Is there any chance of success getting it boiled out at the radiator shop?

Take a look in the tank. If the walls all pitted and cratered get another tank. If the metal looks good find another radiator shop. Radiator shops boil these out all the time.

Good Luck
Tcash
914guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used the KBS gas tank sealing system after removing rust like that from our tank. Sealed well with no issues three years later

Mike
templeofspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before:

After:

Cool
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work so far!

Last edited by Pinetops on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of my 1st bus a 70tintop deluxe, did almost a yr brakes,rebuild eng, cleanup wiring,repaint, tires. Traveled 6yrs on lots of trips too, never let me down.last winter owned froze my ass off once, traded it after that for heat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: