Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leo's 1968 Squareback build.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Shawn, Bob, Mont, Cory, Dave, and Martin thanks for the well wishes. What I didn't mention was the square doing a couple 360 in the middle of 285 before coming to a stop on the dirt shoulder. I went back to the place on 285 where it happened and found Whenever the bottom traIling​ arm pulled out it broke the shock and you can follow a Grove in the highway for 2 circles and finaley it's wresting place. So yes Ellen and I are happy that we did not get hurt. But let me tell you it was a ride neither of us will forget. And from hear on out I will be inspecting the front beam on all my VW. Just driving the square to the body shop yesterday was a little stressful for the first 20 MN of the drive but after that I was good. I just hope Ellen will get over it as quickly.
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Shawn, Bob, Mont, Cory, Dave, and Martin thanks for the well wishes. What I didn't mention was the square doing a couple 360 in the middle of 285 before coming to a stop on the dirt shoulder. I went back to the place on 285 where it happened and found Whenever the bottom traIling​ arm pulled out it broke the shock and you can follow a Grove in the highway for 2 circles and finaley it's wresting place. So yes Ellen and I are happy that we did not get hurt. But let me tell you it was a ride neither of us will forget. And from hear on out I will be inspecting the front beam on all my VW. Just driving the square to the body shop yesterday was a little stressful for the first 20 MN of the drive but after that I was good. I just hope Ellen will get over it as quickly.

Wow! definitely lucky no one was physically hurt in this accident with a couple 360s. Amazing!
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Were the dog ears still on the beam? You know those safety retainers that physically stop the lower control arm from sliding out? They look like they do nothing until you try and pull the control arm off and realize what they're for. A lot of beams that are lowered don't have them. Either cut off or unbolted if it was the bolt-on type.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Were the dog ears still on the beam? You know those safety retainers that physically stop the lower control arm from sliding out? They look like they do nothing until you try and pull the control arm off and realize what they're for. A lot of beams that are lowered don't have them. Either cut off or unbolted if it was the bolt-on type.

Yeah, I think Brian Fye had a similar incident on an air bagged Square of his, where the bolt had broke or something like that.
But yes, those little clips are very important, even if it doesn't look like they do anything.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Thanks Cory.
Bob and Yabba, this is exactly what happened. I thought it was the grub screw from past experience but when I got it up and the wheels off you could see that the bolt and that dogear washer where missing on the pasanger side that caused the lower driver's side trailing arm to pull out. While I was there we raised the front end back to almost stock hight.
The front end was the only thing I did not rebuild in my square. It just felt good so I left it alone. I will never make that assumption again. I got my parts from ISP yesterday delivered in the mail so the front beam will go through a rebuild as soon as it gets back from body Nd paint. Looks like I will be rolling the notch this season.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Looking for a little help this morning. The square is back from paint and body and looking good. I decided to install the new ball joints to start the rebuild of the front beam the lower ball joint will not go into the spindle the ball joint end is to big. I got them from ISP so assuming they are correct the top slid right in no issues but the bottom even when I remove the ball joint from the trailing arm and just put in the spundolit side it won't go in it is just to big. When I put the Mike on the old one it is about a 16 of an inch smaller then the new one. So I just have the wrong lowers. I searched and all I could find is the ball joing being to small nothing about it being to big.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
Looking for a little help this morning. The square is back from paint and body and looking good. I decided to install the new ball joints to start the rebuild of the front beam the lower ball joint will not go into the spindle the ball joint end is to big. I got them from ISP so assuming they are correct the top slid right in no issues but the bottom even when I remove the ball joint from the trailing arm and just put in the spundolit side it won't go in it is just to big. When I put the Mike on the old one it is about a 16 of an inch smaller then the new one. So I just have the wrong lowers. I searched and all I could find is the ball joing being to small nothing about it being to big.

Double check against the uppers, and see if you're installing the lowers in place of the uppers or vice versa. They should NOT just drop in. I also spread the slot in the spindle with a screw driver, so the ball joint shaft will go in. It helps to not chew up the bolt too. Wink
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Ok for sure they're the bottom. I will try and pry with screw driver, so a little perswasion is needed?
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Ok I got the ball joints in but now have a shimmie in the front end. When I hit a bump or while driving and moving steering wheel back and forth. Still no shocks installed. While front end is up I can pull and yank with no movement. I'm stumped.
corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Congrats to Leo! His beautiful Square took the Type 3 trophy at the Infamous Aircooled VW show in Brighton, Colorado on Sunday!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

corythosaurus wrote:
Congrats to Leo! His beautiful Square took the Type 3 trophy at the Infamous Aircooled VW show in Brighton, Colorado on Sunday!

The Judges did not go wrong in giving that award. A well-deserved recognition on that Square! Congrats!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Congrats on your win! Nice looking all the way around!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

It's been a while. Been working hard on the shop and getting close. The wife and I took a road trip in the square. We drove it out to New Mexico for the balloon festival and VW car show. We put about 800 miles on her and she did great.
m

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:
It's been a while. Been working hard on the shop and getting close. The wife and I took a road trip in the square. We drove it out to New Mexico for the balloon festival and VW car show. We put about 800 miles on her and she did great.
m

Now THAT'S how you enjoy all of your hard work. Cool Applause Nothing like a nice event free road trip to enjoy cruising in your beautiful car. Very Happy See that smile on the passenger's face, that's what makes it worth it. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Eyes on the road Leo. Last thing you want is to kiss an Elk or deer with that beautiful car. Laughing
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Thanks Bob and Mont. Couldn't agree more. Driving them is for sure the best way to celebrate all of our labor. We put some serious miles on her this summer. Normally 2-300 mille trips this one was just the longest. I can't lie after that accident I wasn't too sure how we would get back in the saddle but after knowing my front end was done right and by me I have every confidence in the car now and I believe Ellen feels the same as well.
Thanks again gentelmen.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

Couple picks of the she'd.

corythosaurus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:

Very cool. Looks good Leo!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

69 Notchback wrote:

Damn that's huge. Twisted Evil I bet that will cost a pretty penny to heat. Laughing

Looks good though, lots of elbow room. The 2 post lift is a nice touch. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leo's 1968 Squareback build. Reply with quote

When I build one, I know who to call for directions.

Martin

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: