Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine knock (with video FWIW) 1972
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Engine knock (with video FWIW) 1972 Reply with quote

So I haven't really posted video ever, so you'll have to take the crappy cellphone shot with a grain of salt. I'm only sort of tech savy to a point.

1972 bus with webers. 2.0l rebuilt about two years ago. Recently it's developed a little more tin can sound with acceleration. I've dropped a seat before and this doesn't sound as crazy. Just a little more Than usual.

More worrying is the knock it's developed. It happens about every two revolutions. Obviously faster with increased rpms. Cold or hot, doesn't matter. Sound stays pretty constant (doesn't get louder after it gets warm). Oil changed today with no metal noted in the taco plate.

What does the group think? I'm imagining it doesn't bode well... Is this a classic rod knock or spun bearing?

Link
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Engine Noise Reply with quote

Have you done the usual routine on this noise.

Remove alternator belt and run it a little bit to see if the noise is still there.

It really sounds tinny compared to making the same sound with every revolution.

Pull one plug wire OFF at a time to see if the noise goes away that way you will know which cylinder is going bad.

Good Hunting... and lets hope it minor But, if you do have a bad rod bearing then at least you have caught it in time before it EXITS through the top of
the case.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice! I should be able to get to it again next weekend. Most appreciated. Hopefully it's a small deal
Hashfiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Thank you for posting this video! Did you end up finding out what the sound was?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: