Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Family, Vanagons and the Samba
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: VW Family, Vanagons and the Samba Reply with quote

I have been here since 2012, so I'm relatively new to The Samba. However, I am not new to VWs and the culture, My first car was a 62 Bug and I have owned many VWs since. I have been following and have contributed to some of the conversations here and recently have been thinking about some of the behavior I have seen. I'm not sure what the code of conduct is here, but I must say that there are some people here who's attitude and contributions really must be pushing the edge of what is acceptable. Sure, free speech and all that stuff...but if 80 percent of some peoples comment's are solely to bait, antagonize and add nothing constructive to the conversation, then why are they here? It seem totally at odds with the whole easy going VW culture. I've met so many nice people over the years, who gladly share information, tips etc. for the most part the people here are that way as well. However, there are a few that really go out of the way to be unkind and completely against what I thought it meant to be part of this community. I have seen the moderators comment on this, correct and chastise, yet it continues. So, question to the moderators; Is this how you want The Samba to be perceived? There have been discussions on other sites about this and how unwelcome it makes the uninitiated feel. Perhaps I am naive, but i think the conversations here should be no different than if we were all standing around at some Syncrofest, face to face. sure, we can debate, diagree and have many differences of opinion. But, the Internet is not an excuse for treating others with disrespect or unkindly, just because you aren't looking them in the eyes.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think... the only difference a real life discussion and the one on a forum (any forum), from moderators or users.. is...

the DELETE button on the keyboard...

Very Happy
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is the nature of internet forums or public sites that there are always those people who due to their personality we would not associate with in real life, but there is the safety behind the keyboard where the less sociable are free to be less sociable.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you think this site is bad....
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I agree with the spirit of your thoughts on the topic. But it is worth noting that the folks with attitude stick out in a forum as well mannered as the Samba. That is because there are so overwhelmingly many more nice, kind and thoughtful folks here. I have personally met more than 20 people here, had members I did not know send me things for free, I have done the same, and the information I've learned has easily saved me $3000 over the restoration of a Syncro and a Vanagon. I've introduced my family to Samba members, and I have stayed at Samba members places. All that and I think this month marks only 5 years for me as a Samba member.

So, don't let the occasional fly in the ointment get cha too off balance. There will quickly be the usual 20 helpful folks along to offset it.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more Doug! The majority of the people her are great.

IdahoDoug wrote:
Scott,

I agree with the spirit of your thoughts on the topic. But it is worth noting that the folks with attitude stick out in a forum as well mannered as the Samba. That is because there are so overwhelmingly many more nice, kind and thoughtful folks here. I have personally met more than 20 people here, had members I did not know send me things for free, I have done the same, and the information I've learned has easily saved me $3000 over the restoration of a Syncro and a Vanagon. I've introduced my family to Samba members, and I have stayed at Samba members places. All that and I think this month marks only 5 years for me as a Samba member.

So, don't let the occasional fly in the ointment get cha too off balance. There will quickly be the usual 20 helpful folks along to offset it.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone's words/emotions (mine and your's included) can be misinterpreted from time to time without conversing face to face. Of course that is excusable and very different than trolling or bullying. There is no place for that on TS and the mods do a good job of shutting that down quickly.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If more of you people thought like me, this place would be the best ever. Until that changes, I'll have to do the heavy lifting around here and think like me on my own. Thanks a lot

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
I think... the only difference a real life discussion and the one on a forum (any forum), from moderators or users.. is...

Very Happy

The delete button is also in my fist... just sayin Razz
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:

Very Happy

Bruce, you got six fingers? Wink
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad once told me this;

"If you don't like my peaches---don't go plucking my tree".

There are some folks who go over the edge with their questions, and solutions which are sometimes totally irrelevant or really off the wall, and the answer is usually right in front of their face.

Babying them, by giving them a direct answer cuts way back on the leaning curve, and sometimes it takes a little prodding to get them to where they want to be--by using their own coconut.

It's much easier to ask and get an answer ( be it right or wrong ) than to think the problem out & get the answer you needed all by yourself.
You will not easily forget that solution, while you will if your not allowed to solve the puzzle on your own.--
This is a big part of an educational process--and that is good.

Sometimes a good rub will stimulate self motivation.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...that's a good point!

TequilaSunSet wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:

Very Happy

sasquatch88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by sasquatch88 on Sat May 16, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that one of the issues with a forum is that the comment stays and lingers. Something that I said to someone around a campfire at midnight with a beer in hand that caused a reaction can be undone easily and immediately. We can even agree to disagree quickly. But a forum does not allow that type of resolution and even worse everyone gets to see it. Nature of the beast I guess.

All in all I think that the forum is doing pretty well. It does have it's ups and downs but really seems to stay nice in tone overall. Good job by the mods in kicking off obvious trolls, not a job I'd want to have. We should triple their salaries! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree about the lingering. You can tell by some post however that the person posting it could give a crap if it is there forever. You see patterns in certain posters behaviors where it is their obvious intention to be a pain in the neck. The other classic is when someone is looking for some very hard to find part and another poster will chime in with "I have 60 of those, not for sale!" Why say anything at all then?

dobryan wrote:
I also think that one of the issues with a forum is that the comment stays and lingers. Something that I said to someone around a campfire at midnight with a beer in hand that caused a reaction can be undone easily and immediately. We can even agree to disagree quickly. But a forum does not allow that type of resolution and even worse everyone gets to see it. Nature of the beast I guess.

All in all I think that the forum is doing pretty well. It does have it's ups and downs but really seems to stay nice in tone overall. Good job by the mods in kicking off obvious trolls, not a job I'd want to have. We should triple their salaries! Very Happy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately in any gathering some folks just rub some folks the wrong way, but not others. Sometimes by accident, sometimes not. Nature of a group of strangers united by a vehicle. It's difficult to resolve differences in a public forum, especially when old slights are revisited.... I try to have a real thick skin and take not take a comment too much to heart. Difficult to do most of the time but it serves me well in the long run. But that's just me and I don't expect everyone to be like me. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottShelley wrote:
I totally agree about the lingering. You can tell by some post however that the person posting it could give a crap if it is there forever. You see patterns in certain posters behaviors where it is their obvious intention to be a pain in the neck. The other classic is when someone is looking for some very hard to find part and another poster will chime in with "I have 60 of those, not for sale!" Why say anything at all then?

Excellent point. We could all private message him, but I doubt it would change much. Using the "ignore" feature is an option, but when someone is posting literally all day long it does create some clutter. Most folks here are excellent and understand courteous communication, but bad apples can be in any basket. I just read a lot, post only if I have something constructive (except today!) and resist the urge to engage the bad apples with my sarcasm and snide remarks. Neutral
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally I'll run into someone who helps me recall the advice my father once gave me...

Son, once in a while you'll meet someone that you really just cant come to terms with no matter how hard you try. In that case just walk a mile in there shoes, then your a mile away and you have new shoes...

Seriously tho, when I encounter someone unduly nasty or uptight I ask myself why that may be the case and I realize that nothing ever happens in a vacuum (cept space sex) and that if a person is nasty and disrespectful in traffic, at work, in line, or on a forum it is because they have lives that are nasty and disrespectful. I then forgive and allow them to be who they are so that I can continue my own peaceful life. If when treated with nastiness, you allow it to get below your proverbial skin you are in effect taking negative energy in, when you should really let it flow thru and away.

Peace, Love and Samba
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... Samba drama.

Yes, it exists in all forms, and is difficult to ignore at times. I find the best approach is to stay as technical as possible, and keep it about the vanagons. Topics can easily stray off course... mine is better than yours/there's only one way to do things/you're an idiot/I have more money/I have more parts/I have more tools. It's so incredibly easy to get off on the wrong foot here on TS. And it's unfortunate to have to witness some of the little back and forth crap, the little gangs of members who always back each other up, etc. Some folks here have very fragile egos... always looking for approval/want to be the center of attention/I'm never wrong/your reality can't exist because my reality exists. I think one just has to ignore these posters, or take their posts with a grain of salt.

But I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about meeting face-to-face. The samba members I've actually met in real life are (or so far) have been very kind/generous/cool people. The computer is a shield that offers the opportunity for malicious behavior... unfortunately some people choose to walk through that door.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Sisters in the Brotherhood?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: