Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time, in '68, a family member bought a new vw convertible, serviced only by vw dealer, their recommendations was 20 wt in order to get max cooling of oil/eng because it circulates quicky. That was how it ran 4 over 70tho before traded.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
5w30? Damn!

Maybe I don't have to run that 20W50 Racing oil in the hot-ass summers we get here, after all? 180 degrees sounds great.

P.S. Victor, did you get my reply to your letter?

A few hours later, some guy here in town that saw my bug at our local club's show&shine, called me today and wants to buy my bug. He wants to stop by this Sunday (after church, he said). I have a feeling he's not in the same political party as I am Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Yep, got your reply, and the 5W/30 was great. Still looks good even though I’m about 200 miles from the 3k change. I used to use 15W/40 but found that it consumed a lot more. Couldn't go 3k w/out having to add at least a quart. Not sure if that's a sign of engine wear or what.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

I just saw this thread! Awesome! I love, love, love seeing people doing long road trips w/their old VW's.

As the others stated, I'm simply SHOCKED that you didn't have all sorts of catastrophic mechanical failures. Surely you've read on the internet these cars are NOT reliable! Laughing

I know Colin (amskeptic) must roll his eyes when he reads threads about how unreliable these old VW's are. He only puts 25k miles a year on his 40+ year old buses as he crosses the country during his itinerant tour each summer w/out breaking down.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I just saw this thread! Awesome! I love, love, love seeing people doing long road trips w/their old VW's.

As the others stated, I'm simply SHOCKED that you didn't have all sorts of catastrophic mechanical failures. Surely you've read on the internet these cars are NOT reliable! Laughing

I know Colin (amskeptic) must roll his eyes when he reads threads about how unreliable these old VW's are. He only puts 25k miles a year on his 40+ year old buses as he crosses the country during his itinerant tour each summer w/out breaking down.

Glad you enjoyed the ride, Bill! Wish I had time to do it again! Like I said in that other thread, the biggest problems i've had, besides cleaning up the neglected mechanics and electrics of the PO when I bought the Bug, have been learning mistakes I've made and bad parts crapping out. That said, I gotta admit that it wasn't really until I was headed back North that I felt completely at ease purring along at 65 for hours at a time. One possible sign of wear since then is that I've had to switch to 5w/30 oil now that the weather's gotten hot here in metro DC. But that's a topic for another thread! Smile

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

Cool trip! I'm thinking of taking my 73 up to washington this summer to visit my father, but expecting a baby any minute, so might not happen til next year.

I still haven't installed those struts i bought from you, super busy with work lately...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Cool trip! I'm thinking of taking my 73 up to washington this summer to visit my father, but expecting a baby any minute, so might not happen til next year.

I still haven't installed those struts i bought from you, super busy with work lately...

It was a blast, for sure. BTW, the struts you bought are the ones that were installed on the Bug when I made the trip.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

what size tires did you have up front? im thinking of swapping the struts in on my next day off, and hope my 185/65 tires wont rub Confused

how were they in ride quality compared to the stockers you swapped them out for? i cant be nose up anymore, i need to come down a couple inches and get myself a spoiler. i dont mind a stiff or harsh ride, just dont want to be rattling my teeth out on my commute through the gloriously garbagey roads of the SF Bay Area Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

PM on the way.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

Just got around to reading this wonderful thread.

Thanks for sharing....I'm up to about a 100 mile trips. Even though she only broke down once, I'm still working on trust issues. Last year the pin fell out of the fuel pump. Luckily, i was about to fix it on the side of the road.

Next spring...Colorado trip. 1000 miles round trip.
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Road trips are awesome in the Bug, wish i had enough time to do another one!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

Great thread, I enjoyed it! Reminded me of the short 1,000 mile trip I made from Memphis to DFW in 2015, in my 71 bus with a freshly-rebuilt-by-me-engine! I was on the fence about taking it, since the trip was for work and I HAD to be there at a specific day and time, and at the airport every night for two weeks.
I'm glad I made the trip, as I suspect just about everyone is that road trips in an old VW. The memories alone are worth the time! Here's to more miles down the road. 🍻
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD TRIP!!! FINISHED! Reply with quote

Lol, blast from the past! Glad you enjoyed iit! I've done others since and will do one again in the coming months, as soon as I get my '74 on the road!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: