Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Making a lid

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Looking sweet brother! Cant wait to see the lid. I have the stuff to put the rail on too, just havnt done it yet. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Looking sweet brother! Cant wait to see the lid. I have the stuff to put the rail on too, just havnt done it yet. Cool

what did they use for hardware? carriage bolts?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
notchboy wrote:

what did they use for hardware? carriage bolts?

I have no idea. Never seen an og one. I was going to use a hex head bolt.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Getting after it a bit last week!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Looking pretty sweet. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

I'm importing a couple of Essen's soon, what's the going resale on them in the USA? anyone sold one or seen one for sale lately?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
I'm importing a couple of Essen's soon, what's the going resale on them in the USA? anyone sold one or seen one for sale lately?

I think the last one I saw was in Oregon for $1200

HamburgerBrad wrote:

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Fini!!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Looking sharp! Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

C'est du beau travail! I like it! Cool
HermanDT2b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Wow, awesome trailer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Thanks, Fellas!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

Cool that's what I was thinking around $1k -1,200.

I'll make sure I spam this thread upon arrival Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:

Id be disappointed if you didn't. Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
crofty wrote:
Yustrn wrote:

Cool that's what I was thinking around $1k -1,200.

My range was $2500 to $1400. A $1400 one was just a rolling box, no lid, no other goodies. I would of taken $1000 for the same condition.

Since Ive done the 13 I did, they have become a bit harder to find. They are out there still, but not as frequent as 5 years ago.

I have two that Ill be keeping. They are loaded with all the accessories. I wouldnt sell one of them now for less than $3500. Especially the 175k edition.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

so what are the option? I know of-

spare tire carrier
Lid
Rack for lid

HamburgerBrad wrote:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
so what are the option? I know of-

spare tire carrier
Lid
Rack for lid

Spare tire on the front wall above tongue
Spare under with the hanger
Cover in place of the lid
Lid
Rack - later
Bars like yours - early
ABUS lock
Cover with frame
Boat cradle
Long tongue
Kickstand
Metal loop

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Globusoverland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Jason, as far as I know a spare tire on the front has never been a factory option. Maybe some local dealers went this way. There have only been 2 (and a half: I will explain later) official ways of mounting the spare wheel. Either in a solid way (up to 73) (like this '71 model which I have in my living room... Wink )

From '72, the mounting of the bracket "underneath" the trailer was re-modified to "the front". (you can see on the pic above: the '72 till '74 way was mounting it beside the rivet) So, the principle stayed the same, only the way of bolting the bracket onto the trailer changed a little bit...

The other factory way of mounting a spare wheel was the the holder that folds out on later models.

Talking about accessories: There was also another extra to be ordered: two wooden panels to be used as a shelf. Shocked

Back in 73, according to the price list, this would cost 18 DM, which was around 9 US$ Laughing
From '74 this option was not available anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: All things Essen - Westfalia Trailers Reply with quote

Michael - good to see your post my friend. How have things been?

I only mention the front spare as Ive seen a couple of them. Maybe its just a popular thing to do when there is no proper spare? Good to see you have parts blowouts for the Essen! I would love to have copies of that.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: