Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more long transmissions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: No more long transmissions Reply with quote

looks like it is official

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1767511

not sure if it was posted or not

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: no more long transmissions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
looks like it is official

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1767511

not sure if it was posted or not

Dang, now I have to make an offer on a business AND pay my Visa bill?
Colin
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I bought just a few things from him. Excellent to talk to, fast service and parts were a great fit.

Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, heck, poop.

A class act and a joy to deal with. Never sugarcoated anything, a real straight shooter.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so tell me, was long good?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Long ENT. Reply with quote

Rick Long posted the FOR SALE ad in the 1st week of April here.

And yes he had a good business for a long time and, like all of us old timers
there comes a time to hang it up.

The transmission repair business for air-cooled is a hard business to be in and way back in the 1980's I thought about doing it full time but, there are
so many things that have to happen perfectly for this limited type of a business.

When I was a young tech for V.W. I went to all the schools that I was asked to attend and really enjoyed Transmission repair as I was a big strong confident guy.

All went well for quite awhile whether it was a type 1,2,3, or 4 manual or automatic. But there cam e a time when doing an estimate that it became cheaper to install a factory rebuild unit after doing an estimate for the customer. these being Manual transmissions Not an Automatic.

Automatics were much cheaper to repair and also to set-up and even with 2
different final drive. Klingenberg & Gleason for the V.W. products it became easy to set up the ring&pinion with the new tooling supplied for and older units.

Business's like Rancho & others have a production line that can absorb losses and still profit compared to small 1 man shops and so, Mike has had a Great run at not only being a one man repair facility but, also outlasted a lot of shops here in Calif.

I still remember having to pull a 66 bus trans back out because it popped
out of 3rd gear after I rebuilt it. but, back then I didn't know that the detent
plunger didn't have enough tension since the gear carrier shaft bore was oval. Rolling Eyes

It's all the small items that a GOOD trans builder finds out after years of experience.

Last edited by old DKP driver on Fri May 01, 2015 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Rick. Thank you for the time spent on the phone with me. I liked the CD's as well!

To bad for us
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Rick or Mike?
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Rick Long of Long Ent. Reply with quote

My mistake Embarassed as I worked with a 'Mike Long' for many years.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rick Long of Long Ent. Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
My mistake Embarassed as I worked with a 'Mike Long' for many years.

Thanks - I do that too sometimes. Smile
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its rick. He was very helpful in breastfeeding 091 info to me. Another good dude packing it in to enjoy life. Congrats to him for sure!

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!...I hope someone in the transaxle industry buys his special milling machine.
The undercut mod for sliders is one of the slickest things I have seen. I wish he had programming to be able to do my 004 four speed transmission sliders for my 412.
I would have dropped the money for those in a heartbeat.

Sad to lose his services to the industry..... but its always great to see someone retiring on good terms .....and their own terms....instead of being forced to retire because of declining business or resources. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: