Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

well folks I'm closer every day to completing my first type 4 engine rebuild , i just received my cylinder head temp gauge by dakota digital , it seems to be the one that everyone recommends , so my question is , have other people purchased other gauges from the same company for oil pressure and oil temp , speedo, rpms ,
just trying to figure out the dash setup etc....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

and my 72'S!!!!!

1972 beetle sedan almost original

1972 westfalia current project, and loving it!!!
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of ways to mount gauges; having just the cht gauge I used a spare clock blank plate and centered it next to the speedometer. Some mount 3 gauges under the radio by drilling the dash. Others get an under dash mount and put them there.
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mounting under the radio is my favorite location, i never cared for gauge pods hanging down under the dash they always seem to be in the way.

These are the three most common gauges, oil pressure, oil temp. and cyl. head temp and I like my tach in the clock space, the tach. is not a Dakota Digital. If you are just going to run the one cyl. head temp gauge do what my59 suggested and mount it in the clock space because you will find yourself staring at it all the time and it is easier to just glance down than to look to the side at the gauge under the radio.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacking a bus is never the best way to go. Once you saw a hole you can never unsaw it. I use VDO rubber safety mounts located by the drivers right knee plus the VDO tach that fits nicely in the gauge cluster using the bus boys adapter.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys i guess i was vague , what i was really wondering is what gauges are people using , part numbers from dakota digital , i love the suggestions on mounting but i honestly just wondering what gauges i should buy from other people suggestions so i don't buy one brand than regret i didn't buy another

so any good part number or names of the gauges used , i really like the dakota digital brand so thoughts

and my 72'S!!!!!

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing you are doing using the Dakota Digital gauges for oil temp, CHT (with the 18' sender), and for oil pressure. I bought the DD gauges as I wanted them all to sort of match.

The DD series is great as you rarely have to watch them until they hit something interstesting level and "flash".

I used this series... I have both the teal and the blue. Both are fine.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=...prd347.htm

The oil temp sender gets mounted in the "taco plate" as Whip618 did here...

The oil pressure set up is a little more complicated in a stock FI type 4 engine and works best using this little gizmo....but call them and tell them you want a 24" long oil pressure hose so that you can mount it on the firewall. Your goal is to mount the stock oil pressure sending unit , the single pole 80 psi gauge sender on the 4 way adapter. The 4 way gizmo is grounded so that works like it should.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/add_cart.asp?quick=1&item_id=314

My tach in the "clock space" is just a VDO cockpit series 3 3/8" gauge.

While you are nose deep in the dash board, go over to PEP boys and buy some Sylvania 2732 bulbs. They are 2 watt "wheat" bulbs so that everything will be the same brightness and brighter. Buy 4 of them (2 packages of 2).
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thank you randy!!!
thats exactly the info i was hoping for , saving me so much leg work, i really appreciate the time to describe

i truly love this site , so many awesome people willing to take time out of their day to help troubleshoot , advice, suggest , and share their personal good and bad experiences to help out people like me trying to do their best to make something they can be proud of and be reliable not just shiny....
so thanks again to everyone !!!!

and my 72'S!!!!!

Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the part numbers when did this project a couple of months ago.....

SLX-11-1 CHT
SEN-11-8 18” length with a 14mm ring terminal for your application
SLX-07-3 Oil Temp
SEN-04-3 Temp sender
SLX-03-1 Oil Pressure
SEN-03-1 Pressure sender

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
PhotoDale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I’m installing my Dakota Digital today and it appears that I’m missing a piece. I have the gauge, 18ft wire, and sensor. It doesn’t appear that there is the piece that actually connects the long yellow wire to the back of the gauge pinholes. Am I missing the bits that connect the running yellow wire to the wires off the back of the gauge?
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

The kit should come with a wiring harness that plugs into the back of the gauge like in the pic below.

'70 Riviera. 1904cc w/ 40mm Dellortos, 019 distributor, Steve Tims “super stock” 37x32 heads, Web Cam 218, Vintage Speed SS143 Super Speed exhaust, 1 1/2” heater boxes
PhotoDale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming! Unfortunately, I got off the phone with Dakota Digital and they have to send me the missing piece. Installed as much as I could with what I had and was pleasantly surprised with how simple it’s been *knock on wood*. Stoked to no longer worry about my temps
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

I am about to purchase these as well for my bug! Any long term use and reporting of how accurate and if anyone has had any trouble with their gauges?
I’m liking the left and right sides of the speedo locations because it will be higher on the dash next to my speedo.
I want cht, oil pressure and oil temp.
Rpm’s would be really nice as well!!
What options do we have for in the dash mounting?
I have everything Greg recommended. (This is for a bug right?)
Looks about right....?
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

I'm tryin to figure out... I'm buying a new DD cyl head temp gauge... Do I need the 1\2 inch ring terminal or the 14mm spark plug (I plan on putting it under the 3rd spark plug)

New bus owner
Not a mechanic and trying to learn!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

14mm
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
marc_music_mich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: dakota digital gauges 72 westy type 4 Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
14mm

Thanks!

New bus owner
Not a mechanic and trying to learn!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: