Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can I buy a quality rebuilt 2.0L long block?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy a quality rebuilt 2.0L long block? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am out looking for a nice rebuilt 2000cc long block for my 1978 Westy. I'm new to the VW crowd, but learning quickly. The 2.0 that came with my bus is junk, the heads and gone and they cylinders cooling fins are snapped off in places. I feel it will be financially smart to just buy a rebuilt one.

I did some searching, in the forums, for a thread like this, but can't find any within the last 5 years, so i'm sure some things have changed.

I've found rebuilt engines from BusDepot and Mid America; does anyone know how reliable these companies are? Both are located on the West Coast, and I'm over near Boston, so there is a bit of a distance issue too. I've came across the name "Boston Bob" a few times, and was also wondering if anyone knows anything about him. Any information about any of this would be greatly appreciated.

-Sean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boston bob....him dead now. bus depot I think was using AVP rebuilt engines (junk, if in fact AVP) and I wouldn't buy an air freshener from mid America.

someone will chime in that is more in tune with the T4 stuff

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I've heard of lately is Adrian at Headflow Masters.

IMO the Subaru conversion revolution is coming. Perhaps not a revolution, but so many Bay owners are at a loss to find a builder to do a stock engine that will last more than 20K miles because you can't find good parts or people that know what their doing with the T4 engines. Learned my lesson there already...

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot depends on what you want to pay. The Type 4 Store/LN Engineering is the top of the line and will make you gag over the price, while GEX is a crap shoot that might make it 100K but might only make it 4K. I am not sure the Hoffman Automotive Machine does actual rebuilds, but they would be worth a phone call, or you can call Headflow Masters. Note that the phone works way better for most of these businesses than expecting an answer to one of dozens or hundreds of impersonal emails the get everyday.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, OP, BusDepot is in Pennsylvania, FWIW.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suburban Engine. Bob passed away...Gary was passed the torch. They are right there in your neck of the woods! Hope this helps.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suburban engine has a 2.0 longblock in the classified ads here right now.
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headflow masters, suburban engine, and I haven't heard any particulars but powerhaus vw has an awesome shop and seems to do nice work and I know they do type 4's.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary is a good guy. Call him.

http://www.suburbanengine.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^X2

Suburban Engine is IN Waltham, dude! Do one better and just drive over and talk to the guy!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you found your guy but for what it's worth I'd like to throw Hilltop Motors in Jacksonville out there for anyone using this thread as a reference in the future. This is a shop with a 30+ year history and is almost a campus of aircooled fun. When I bought my CB core there they took me on a tour of the entire place. Very nice people.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drozdenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: engine rebuilder Reply with quote

I used Gary for my engine, pretty good guy. No real complaints really. He's more of a phone call guy though but being your so close you can just stop by. He did my 2.0 back in 2012, i have about 11k on her now and still running good.
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my understanding from comments made by others here, unless you have very deep pockets, Gary at Suburban Engine in the east coast and Adrian at Headflow Masters on the west coast are the two most trusted. That does not mean that no one else does them, those two names come up most often as reliable builders.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have been amazingly helpful. I just did some research on Gary at Suburban Engines, and it looks like he's my guy... hopefully. He is in the perfect location. But he is a little pricey. If I dump that much into my powerplant, I might as well go with a Subaru conversion.

How can some places turn out $1800 rebuilds, while Suburban Engine sells there's for $3500?? Are the lesser priced engines that much cheaper?!? I'll have to give Gary a ring and see if he can rebuild my 2.0, thats probably my cheapest route.

Thanks guys!
Smitty
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:

How can some places turn out $1800 rebuilds,

Thanks guys!
Smitty

Substandard parts, cheap labor, cutting corners, not taking time to check tolerances, ect.....I'm not saying buy an expensive engine because there are ripoffs there also. Suburban and Headflow have very good reps. for doing very good work.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:

How can some places turn out $1800 rebuilds, while Suburban Engine sells there's for $3500?? Are the lesser priced engines that much cheaper?!?

Yes. And, you'll get what you pay for. You'll be bitterly disappointed! Pay once, and move on. Make sure you maintain it properly and you you'll be in good shape! Hope this proves useful! Cool
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah unfortunately these days 3k plus for a quality vw rebuild is as low as it gets. I have a $2200 gex 2.0 that's getting replaced with a 1.8 from Adrian at Headflow masters. My GEX has 1k miles on it and in my opinion is a piece of shit. Hope the case is worth something, spend the extra grand with either Gary or Adrian and do yourself a favor!!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
How can some places turn out $1800 rebuilds, while Suburban Engine sells there's for $3500?? Are the lesser priced engines that much cheaper?!?

Thanks guys!
Smitty

Usually what you get are worn out parts and bearings with new rings and a really cheap valve job. A can of spray paint to make it look clean. The engine dies typically about 1500 - 4500 miles after the 90 - 180 day warranty expires. When you take it back under warranty those places are either gone, show you a fine line in the print that says you agreed to as-is for yours, or promises to have it fixed while it sits and sits until you put it on a tow truck and remove it. When you sue the shop they are either already in BK and you didn't know it, or they tell the judge that they could not be sure the engine you came back was the same one they rebuilt, and that you took it away before an expert could confirm it.

The other thing that happens is that most states laws allow a shop to issue a preliminary quote before the final quote. So the quote is $250 initial to remove engine and determine the problem. Orally you are told an engine costs as low as $1600 to rebuild. Once it is apart you are told the true numbers. Your option is to pay or take away a basket case. In some states, like California, if a car is towed in consumer protection laws are waived in favor of the shop. It is assumed that a shop cannot give any kind of an accurate quote if the vehicle is not running when it is towed in. That is why often here you will hear shops offer to tow it in for free as part of the deal and apply the towing to the bill. They know that by law that the consumer protection laws are going to be inapplicable if you complain.

Even at $3,500 - $4,000 for a T4 engine it is a bargain. By the time you get a conversion done, if you ever finish it, you'll have a lot of $$ in it. There are buses for sale here all the time that are unfinished conversions where the owner gave up.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty1976bus wrote:
How can some places turn out $1800 rebuilds, while Suburban Engine sells there's for $3500?? Are the lesser priced engines that much cheaper?!? I'll have to give Gary a ring and see if he can rebuild my 2.0, thats probably my cheapest route.

Thanks guys!
Smitty

Headflow Masters does Type 4s longblocks for $2200, or $2950 for one with new heads. I bought the latter last spring. Colin has reported some of his customers having problems with theirs. I have had a cold oil leak that I have not yet had the time to determine the source of. Not to mention, it now appears as if the rear main seal is leaking. Kind of a lame for a rebuild with less than 65 miles. There is a warranty, but hardly seems worthwhile to take it out and pay to ship it 3000 miles to fix a main seal. Other than that, I would recommend them.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, staying local is probably my best bet. With my luck, what ever could go wrong, will go wrong. I dont really want to dish out $300 to ship the engine back and forth from coast to coast.

Lazy question, does anyone know any good threads about subaru engine conversions? I'm sure there has to be some good ones on the Samba. I plan on keeping this bus for, hopefully, my entire life, and since I'm in my mid twenties, I'm hoping that'll be a while. So reliability is the name of the game.

-Smitty
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: