Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road Trip/Moving to Seattle, Which Route to Take?
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Road Trip/Moving to Seattle, Which Route to Take? Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that I'm in the process of moving to Seattle Smile I just moved my missus and all of our stuff up there last week, I won't be following for a couple more months though.

I'm looking at the map trying to figure out a route to take. I'm planning on taking 1-2 weeks for the journey. Leaving from Prescott, Arizona.

Part of me would love to do the PCH, I'd also love to partially retrace my steps from last summer and see Sequoia, Yosemite, and Crater Lake again, I feel like I have unfinished business there Wink Maybe even Lake Tahoe as well. Then again for a reason I can't define, I'd like to stay out of California all together :Smile The only thing I know for sure is that I do not want to go up the east side of Nevada again, boring as hell! I do plan on camping along the way and I would like to avoid interstates when possible and take the roads less traveled.

All suggestions appreciated Smile
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Zach, you knew I would comment on this, didn't ya?

My normal route from north of Seattle to the Mex border south of Tuscon is to take I5 all the way to SoCal, then head east from there. The only reason is because most of my trips are in the middle of winter and the 5 has to be the least wintery road that goes from top to bottom in the country. But IMO, it's damn boring.

One year after the VW Classic, I took a much longer way around. From LA, I went through Vegas (120º!) then kept on the 15 into S. Utah. I stopped in SLC for a week or so then headed north into Idaho on I84 through Boise. Continued through NE Oregon then headed north into SE Washington. After Yakima I connected onto I90 to head into Seattle.
I know that route violates your interstate rule, maybe you can find back roads that go a similar way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
My normal route from north of Seattle to the Mex border south of Tuscon is to take I5 all the way to SoCal, then head east from there. The only reason is because most of my trips are in the middle of winter and the 5 has to be the least wintery road that goes from top to bottom in the country. But IMO, it's damn boring.

One reason I-5 is so boring is that it was designed when speed limits were expected to rise to at least 80 mph. So it is straight and lacks sharp curves. You think it is boring today, how about when the speed limits were dropped to 55! Agony!

But it's fast and there are plenty of towns with services along the way. Your power to weight ratio will match all the big rigs on it, too.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Hey Zach, you knew I would comment on this, didn't ya?

I actually didn't, but it's quite obvious now!

I'd definitely prefer to steer clear of I-5 as much as possible, it's not what I'd consider scenic and the only bit I haven't traveled is from Portland to Seattle.

The moving truck trip I just did a couple weeks ago met up with I-84 in Twin Falls, then followed what you described. It's not bad at all, but I bet a similar state highway route is better...

I definitely enjoy mountains, trees, national parks, beautiful scenery in general. So the more of that I can get the better Smile
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Narrows at Zion
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this down, I run these routes on my MC regularly- and these routes spend less than 50 miles on interstate.

You can spend much of Nevada on 93 heading north from LV through Ely- tons of nice desert. It will spit you out near Twin Falls, Idaho, where you can turn left and take the scenic highway 30 along the Snake River, then a short hop on and off I-84 (about 10 miles) then back on to the scenic byway all the way to the Oregon border in Ontario on Hwy 78.

From there, you can turn left and go West toward Prineville, OR on Hwy 26- with a light zig zag across the upper middle of OR- very beautiful. Follow 26 to Madras and take Hwy 97 all the way to the WA border on the Columbia River in Biggs. When the bridge spits you out in to WA, you can pick any of several Highways that take you to Seattle- one that takes you right through the Rainier Natl. Park.

Have fun- you'll love living in the PNW.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Road Trip/Moving to Seattle, Which Route to Take? Reply with quote

5 basic suggestions;
1. Vehicle (assuming it's an ACVW) is in a killer state of tune with lots of spare parts. If it's a Camry, ignore 2 & 3 below.
2. AAA card with 100 mile (better yet, unlimited) towing.
3. Cell phone reception the whole way.
4. Work CA Hwy 49 into your route.
5. Beer. 'Nuff said.
Good luck--sounds like a fun road trip and you'll get to ditch your sunblock. Cool
And, Go Seahawks!!!
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I've got this down, I run these routes on my MC regularly- and these routes spend less than 50 miles on interstate.

You can spend much of Nevada on 93 heading north from LV through Ely- tons of nice desert. It will spit you out near Twin Falls, Idaho, where you can turn left and take the scenic highway 30 along the Snake River, then a short hop on and off I-84 (about 10 miles) then back on to the scenic byway all the way to the Oregon border in Ontario on Hwy 78.

From there, you can turn left and go West toward Prineville, OR on Hwy 26- with a light zig zag across the upper middle of OR- very beautiful. Follow 26 to Madras and take Hwy 97 all the way to the WA border on the Columbia River in Biggs. When the bridge spits you out in to WA, you can pick any of several Highways that take you to Seattle- one that takes you right through the Rainier Natl. Park.

Have fun- you'll love living in the PNW.
If you happen to take this route (which is my preferred route when traveling to and from Southern Utah), you'll pass within a couple miles of my home. I've got a guest house here if you want to spend a day or two in the Idaho Wine region. From my front porch, I can point out 7 wineries.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set this topic to email me when replies are made but I got nothing... Glad I checked! Thanks for all of the input everyone.

I just did the 93 north through Nevada, Twin Falls, etc. Not my favourite route Wink I would like to check out Great Basin NP when I have the time though.

I think I've got an idea now though... I'm thinking Sequoia, Yosemite, then west to the coast. Through SF and into Marin County, the birth of the mountain bike. Going to have to get a ride in on my Klunker for sure Smile Then basically take the coast all the way up, hitting Redwoods NP, and anything else that catches my fancy.

Thoughts?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 101 I would make sure to jump on far far outside of San Francisco. It's just another highway with stop-and-go until you get more north.

If you have more of an open schedule it's well worth it. If you're rushing it becomes a bad trip and you may as well be on the 5. Oregon has the best stretches IMHO.

In Washington: Long Beach Peninsula driving is crazy fun but it takes planning to see how far you can go and which stretches of beach are open. Wildlife closures and high tides... Getting stuck would be a real issue if you're not careful and a planner. But it's worth the risk to cruise for miles on open sand. Clam loving hippies are already working to outlaw this so get your memories while you can.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are heading up hwy 101 thru southwest Washington and have time once you get into Raymond take hwy 105 thru tokeland and Westport to aberdeen
it's am extra hour or two but is a lot nicer drive then hwy 101 between Raymond and Aberdeen is plus you won't have to deal with all the logging trucks trying to run you off the road

also once in Aberdeen you can go thru Hoquiam to ocean shore then up to moclips then head east on the moclips hwy back to hwy 101 at neilton to continue up and around the peninsula
hwy 101 from Hoquiam to neilton is pretty boring

or if you want to cut back over to !-5 then hwy 8 from Aberdeen to Olympia is the best route from that area and if you want to avoid I-5 still you can go up north thru Shelton before Olympia and take one of the Bremerton ferry into downtown seattle or the kington ferry to Edmonds just north of seattle

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done it in many years, but the trip from Arcata, CA to Gray's Harbor, WA is fantastic.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to Flagstaff, then 89,160, 191 up thru Moab and Eastern UT. You could keep going up thru Jackson Hole and Yellowstone to I90 and across, or cut across northern UT and Idaho at a number of points. Scenic, moderate to no traffic depending on the time of day. You'll like it.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys! LOVE the idea of taking the ferry across!!

Keep them coming!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be living on the Coast, and will see it soon enough. We went thru Missoula, MT up to Canadian Hiway 1 and took it West to Victoria Island and down into WA. It was a beautiful road trip thru the Rocky mountains along the McKenzie River. Stop & soak in the Hot Springs you pass up there! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: