Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

You should use Plastgauge if you're torquing it all down temporarily for reassurance it's all 'good to go'.
https://www.plastigaugeusa.com/how.html
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

I intend to Plastigauge the rod bearings but I don’t really see how I can Plastigauge the non-split main bearings.

And of course I haven’t seen a spec for main bearing oil clearance anyway. Is it generally considered that the “ideal” rod bearing clearance of .002” - .0025” is good for main bearings as well? I have seen some chatter in the engine forum to suggest that the mains should be maybe more like .003”

EDIT: just remembered the existence of the “Without Guesswork” books. I looked up in there the oil clearance spec of the main bearings as:

#1-3: .0016” - .004”
#4: .002” - .004”

So I should be good pending measurement with the case torqued. The book does specify that those values are with the case torqued.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Some quality Friday night time in the "workshop." Installed the mains into the case and torqued it up to spec.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Measured the ID of all the main bearings and it's looking like I'm in the .002" - .0025" oil clearance range with the case all torqued up so that should be perfect.

While I had the case together I also measured the ID of the camshaft bores (no cam bearings in this case) versus the OD of the new camshaft. The cam bores are in spec (according to the values in the Without Guesswork book) and my oil clearance there is also within the VW spec of .02mm to .05mm.

The main bearings fit the case really well and that thrust bearing is super snug. I love it!

To cc the dome area of my pistons, I made a mold with some modeling clay:

I then used my cc kit to measure the volume and it comes out right about 5cc.

This 5cc will be deducted from my measurement of the combustion chamber volume to ensure the correct setting of compression ratio.

Next up, gotta check out those rod bearing oil clearances.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

OK so. This is probably a little stupid but, I got 3 different sets of rod bearings because I had read about some brands being tighter than others etc.

Rod bearings are cheap so not a big deal to buy a couple sets to see what gets me the best oil clearance.

So I measured all the rod journals on the crank and I have to say, Jose @ DPR is a fucking Jedi, everything is spot on 2.155".

So I get out the rods and the bearings to play. I have:

Brand new (not NOS) Kolbenschmidt, made in Germany(!)

Brand new (not NOS) Mahle, made in Brazil.

NOS Glyco, made in Germany.

I mocked 'em all up and was surprised to see that every single set gave me .0015" oil clearance. This is determined by measuring the installed ID of the bearings with a dial bore gauge on torqued rods and subtracting the OD of the journals on the crank.

So if they're all gonna give me the same clearance, which ones do I use? Mahle Brazilian goes to the bottom of my list so do I go with NOS Glyco or new Kolbenschmidt? Very Happy

EDIT: for posterity's sake: Very Happy

Last edited by sjbartnik on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

1500 S - Id use the Kolbenschmidt Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

So check this out. Getting stuff together to begin laying in the crankshaft and distributor drive gear.

My engine has the old style distributor drive shaft that has a thick spacer rather than two shims. It seems to have some weird wear on it, check out these pics:

There is a bright wear ring where the fuel pump push rod rides on the shaft:

There are bright wear spots on the teeth that are in contact with the brass drive gear which seems weird to me given that the brass gear is so much softer than the shaft:

The underside of those teeth and the corresponding part of the spacer are both worn to a highly polished finish:

This drive shaft supposedly only has about 60,000 miles on it over the course of its life.

I'm contrasting this with a later-style distributor drive shaft of unknown mileage that DPR sent me which has none of these visible wear indicators.

Does it seem weird that my distributor drive shaft is showing so much wear? It almost seems like it's a result of something (or several things) being set up too tight on assembly.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Yes it does. I'm wondering if it's related to your crankshaft gear issues (wear on the cam gear).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. Something just too tight in there. Maybe the crank - cam gear interface.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Got the crankshaft built up today.

For me the most nerve-wracking part is installing the timing gear & distributor drive gear. I always envision not being fast enough and the gear grabbing the crankshaft when it's only halfway installed. No issues here though, that sucker slid right on after its hot vegetable oil bath.

Tomorrow I hope to be mocking up crankshaft & camshaft in the case and checking backlash, end play, etc. etc.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Looks good. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

So uhhhh...this is the original distributor drive pinion with the original thick spacer washer...

Link

just a *little* bit more than .050" end play. Measures out about .067"

I looked in Bentley to see if they gave an end play spec for the early style drive pinion but I didn't see anything listed for either.

I also don't see anything about it in Without Guesswork. The only source I have for that 020" - .050" spec is the Wilson book.

I just mic'd the thick spacer at 6.23mm / .245" which I think is about where it's supposed to be.

Gonna try the later style drive I have with two thin shims. Maybe the seat in the case got worn down a bit - I would guess that's the softest part of this whole arrangement.

Measured it with the later style drive pinion and two shims and it comes out slightly better at .063" / 1.27mm, but still out of spec.

Is there any reason I couldn't use the original drive pinion with the thick spacer + one of the thin shims? That would bring me to a free play of 1.1mm which would be in spec and on the looser side.

The other option would be to obtain one more thin shim for the later style drive pinion and that would bring me to 1mm free play which is also in spec.

Last edited by sjbartnik on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

So I've elected to use the later drive pinion because it's in better shape and to source a couple extra shims to get the end play in spec. There may be a good reason why it would be a bad idea to mix the thick spacer with the thin shim and I'm not trying to go experimental here.

Got the camshaft mocked up and checked for backlash:

Link

Seems maybe a bit much so I half-installed the oil pump cover and used it as a base for my magnetic dial indicator and measured backlash directly:

It's on the looser side of .003" backlash which is out of spec (spec is zero to .002"). This camshaft has a +3 gear. So the good news is it's not too tight, but the bad news is it's a bit too loose.

So I'm gonna pick up a new camshaft with a zero gear, that should get me right where I need to be, fingers crossed.

While I'm waiting for that to arrive, I can be working on my oil pump.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Before:

After:

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

I did mock up the case with only the crankshaft installed just to make sure all was well. With case fully torqued (well, main bearing studs anyway) the crankshaft spun nice and smooth with minimal effort and no tight spots.

Link

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Fun stuff...while waiting for a new camshaft, I decided to slap in the old one that I took out during teardown just to measure the backlash because I had neglected to do it on teardown.

It was all over the place owing to the uneven wear on the teeth, some spots at .004", some at .007", but this one was the kicker:

Link

.017" Shocked

Might explain why the engine sounded a little slappy.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

So I've been making progress and I'm getting to the point now where I'm looking at deck height.

I ran into something weird and I think I know the answer but I need to hear it from someone else.

So I know you're supposed to measure deck height at the center of the piston because without rings the piston can rock in the bore and throw off your measurements.

I'm using domed pistons so I can't measure in the center of the piston. So I'm measuring on each side of the piston along the axis of the wrist pin. So if you were looking dead on at the top of the piston, I'd be measuring at 3:00 and 9:00.

On the #1 and #3 cylinders, I get .034" on the side of the piston closest to the center of the case but .041" on the side of the piston toward the flywheel.

There is a similar effect on #2 and #4 but not as wide a spread, and again with the lower number being toward the center of the case.

I have measured out the pistons and rods and cylinders and swapped them all around but no change.

I suspect then that the issue lies with the cylinder seats in the case - I have seen mention of collapse of this area that happens over time. I suspect I need to bring the case back to the machinist to have it decked.

Am I wrong or am I right? Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Yes. Some good machinists will lightly skim off some material after installing case savers to ensure everything is flush there. What you may be seeing is the differences in how flat that area is, if it didn't get skimmed prior to your build (it kind of looks like they didn't in your above mock up pick).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

The case was apparently decked by Rimco when they did the case savers (this was old Rimco, not current FAT/Rimco), at least that's what I can make out from the invoice.

It definitely seems like that area of the case is not flat now though. Maybe they did a not-so-great job back then or maybe the case has worn since then.

I spoke to the machinist today and he's happy to take care of it so I'll take the case in on Monday.

After that though I think I'm about ready for final assembly.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The case was apparently decked by Rimco when they did the case savers (this was old Rimco, not current FAT/Rimco), at least that's what I can make out from the invoice.

It definitely seems like that area of the case is not flat now though. Maybe they did a not-so-great job back then or maybe the case has worn since then.

I spoke to the machinist today and he's happy to take care of it so I'll take the case in on Monday.

After that though I think I'm about ready for final assembly.

I don't know, as I was going off your pic at the start of the video. My guess at this point would be wear from use after Keith originally rebuilt it. I know when I got my case back from RIMCO (old?) that the entire surface had been cleaned up, and not just the very top surfaces of the case spigots. IDK, maybe I had a different machinist there versus the one who did that case.
At this point though, I'd just have it lightly cleaned up, then re-calculate the area of the pistons, as you'll have more coming up out of the cylinder, unless you use case shims to keep it where it was.
Have you received your new cam gear yet, so you can check back lash? I was always under the impression that a +3 gear was larger than an "0" gear.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New (to me) 1965 1500 Variant S(!) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

At this point though, I'd just have it lightly cleaned up, then re-calculate the area of the pistons, as you'll have more coming up out of the cylinder, unless you use case shims to keep it where it was.

Yes I anticipate having to use barrel shims anyway in order to get the deck height where it needs to be and therefore the CR.

Quote:

Have you received your new cam gear yet, so you can check back lash? I was always under the impression that a +3 gear was larger than an "0" gear.

Yes there has been some camshaft drama but I finally got it sorted. The +3 gear gave me backlash out of spec, at .003". Thought that was weird because the original cam had a +3 gear but between the align-bore and using a different timing gear on this build it could be off.

I had gotten a supposedly new stock cam but when I got it it turned out it had previously been opened and returned and the goober that returned it scratched up the journals pretty badly. But I was at least able to do a test-fit to check the gear backlash and it was right at .001" so I knew a standard 0 gear would be good to go.

Was able to return that and get another one which indeed had never been opened and that one worked out well. Backlash just a tiny tiny hair under .001" so it should work great. Good end play too.

So this weekend I'll get the studs out and get the case to the machinist on Monday so he can measure it and deck it as necessary.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 41

Jump to: