Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wipers are always on at same speed
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aus-auser-bei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Wipers are always on at same speed Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a new owner of a champagne edition 78, and have wiper problems. After some time they stopped working, just made a buzzing sound. I handed it over to a mechanic that specializes only on aircooled-VW, so he should know what he's doing. He exchanged the windscreen wiper and motor for another one, and great, it worked for a few hours.

Then suddenly when I start the engine, the windscreen wipers are on. It doesn't matter if I change to any of the positions, it is impossible to turn them off and they are always on the same speed.
The mechanic says I need a new wiper switch, which is not easy to come by.

So I wanted to double check with all experienced and friendly people here. Is it really the switch, or do you have any other ideas? I have tried to search but haven't seen anyone with this problem.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your bus has a intermittent wiper relay, it could be bad and would cause that problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug the wiper relay and see if the problem changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aus-auser-bei
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Yes, it was the intermittent washer relay Reply with quote

Thank you so much gentlemen.
I found a intermittent washer relay and when I unplugged it, the wipers didn't start automatically. But they worked at step 2. And now I've ordered a new relay.

Wonder if the relay was the problem all along, and my wiper-motor never was broken. I guess you need to learn to work on your own car instead of going to mecanics, that's what John Muir suggest in his book.

Thanks a lot for the help! I'm so grateful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: