Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Sierra Music Festival
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capulina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: High Sierra Music Festival Reply with quote

Howdy,
We are planning to go to the High Sierra Music Festival in Quincy, CA this year in July. Anybody else out there going and camping in their vans? Anyone with experience camping in their vans inside or nearby outside the festival area and not paying to camp? Their set-up for camping seems like it's tent only, with cars left in parking lots; not so much van camping. But maybe I missed the fine-print.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been, but I know there are lots of vans and buses that go.

This is from http://bigbluevw.blogspot.com

Link

The last minute and a half has a good drive through of the camping areas.

Last edited by BlueGrasser on Thu May 07, 2015 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's been a few years since i lived in california, and a few more on top of that since the last time i attended high sierra.... but having brought my weekender there a couple times, i'll say that it's not the best set up festival for car camping. the tent campers get to stay in the trees where there's shade, and car campers end up in a parking lot. if you are one of the first few people in, there are a TINY handful of good car camping spots, but don't count on getting one.

i'm a die hard music fest van camper, but my last year there had my hanging out and my friends' shady tent camping site during the day.

oh yeah, and make sure you check out the swimming hole (gotta leave the festival and drive to the river) and be warned, there are TONS of undercover cops.
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many VW campers, all ages will be there. We took our camper the past 3 yrs and loved it. You can get an onsite parking pass and as you enter the fairgrounds just simply tell them you are going to Family Camp. This is the area to the left of Shady Grove where can camp NEXT to your vehicle, or in it!! Bring shade structures (tarps too) because the afternoons gets super hot there. Follow the instructions for "getting into the fairgrounds". You queue up in Railway Field on Wednesday (rows of cars and campers in a field), like a pre-festival party. Very buggy and hot. At 6:30AM Thursday morning you receive your wristband (for the 8AM entrance), then the line of vehicles leave for the 2 mile trek across town at 7:30AM. Find your site, try not to take up too much room, get out your shade structure and watch the others put up their tents and fill in the space around you. It's also a little more quiet in Family Camp than Shady Grove (tent city).
It's a blast!

cheers
DJ
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get there way earlier than you think in order to get a good spot.
It's been several years since I attended HSMF, but I bet someone can advise on an ideal arrival time if a good spot is important to you.
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phlogiston wrote:
well it's been a few years since i lived in california, and a few more on top of that since the last time i attended high sierra....

i'm a die hard music fest van camper, but my last year there had my hanging out and my friends' shady tent camping site during the day.

Phlogiston - Would you mind recommending some west coast van camp - music fests??

We are skipping HSMF this year because no real musical draw for us, though we found it to be a family-friendly and no too far from SF bay area. Feeling a big void right now. Sorry for the thread hijack

cheers
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of your musical interests, but here are a few off the top of my head:

Strawberry Festival: http://www.strawberrymusic.com/home.aspx
American River Music Festival: http://www.americanrivermusic.org/festival.php
California Bluegrass Association Father's Day Festival: http://fathersdayfestival.com/

I'm sure Phlogiston can name more.
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:

California Bluegrass Association Father's Day Festival: http://fathersdayfestival.com/

Nice, I forgot about the Strawberry Festival. Just may try and get there this year. Incidently, HSMF has been heavy on bluegrass the past couple of years. Very refreshing. With so many bands over 4 days its easy to find yourself rockin' out to someone you've never heard of. It can be (is) more on the hippy side in terms of attendees. Relaxed, friendly & safe.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huxmobile wrote:
BlueGrasser wrote:

Nice, I forgot about the Strawberry Festival. Just may try and get there this year. Incidently, HSMF has been heavy on bluegrass the past couple of years. Very refreshing. With so many bands over 4 days its easy to find yourself rockin' out to someone you've never heard of. It can be (is) more on the hippy side in terms of attendees. Relaxed, friendly & safe.

It sounds great, it's just too much $$$ for a family of four Crying or Very sad

I think I looked into it and it would cost us $600 dollars. Ouch!
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
Huxmobile wrote:

It sounds great, it's just too much $$$ for a family of four Crying or Very sad

I think I looked into it and it would cost us $600 dollars. Ouch!

We are in the same boat... I was planning to go but between the 3 of us and my brother-in-law family of 4, it becomes really expensive.
Huxmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it can be an expensive weekend. Keep in mind, there are 3 stages to choose from, 12-18 hrs of music each day for 4 days, workshops, parties, activities. That's a pretty good value if you consider taking 4 people to see even 1 decent concert would cost ~$200 on tix alone. You can also bring your own food and beverages almost anywhere in the fairgrounds. No need to waste $$$ on festival food etc.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring a boombox to Syncrofest... 2 birds one stone Laughing Razz
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're talking Smile
I'm a High Sierra lifer, been 19 out of the 24 years it's been going on.
I work for the festival and camp onsite in my van each year.

It's my favorite week of the year!
Bring me July!!!!!!
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to High Sierra, but have been a die hard Strawberry Music Festival attendee for years.....Not sure if we will continue without Camp Mather as the venue.

I am really interested in the High Sierra festival. Thanks for sharing the tips on camping! I would be interested who will be going (in addition to Capulina) of other Sambanistas! It would be great fun to hang out.

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going to HS for over 10 years. I look forward to it every year. It can get hot and we always bring shade structures to place in between our vans to keep the sun from baking the ground.

They also have a 4 day schedule for kids if you wish to bring them along too. They have a separate camping area for families (shady grove).

You will see buses, vanagons, eurovans, astrovans all camped out together. It is a great place to meet people. The music is incredible too!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huxmobile wrote:
Phlogiston - Would you mind recommending some west coast van camp - music fests??

don't get me wrong... i had a great time each year that i went to high sierra, and it's been a few years since i last lived in CA. but i remember getting fed up with the high cost of buying all the "late night" tickets separately and then paying extra to get in line a day early in hopes of scoring a choice spot, then watching as people showing up the next morning got let in first.

there is a little spot that you pass driving up the feather river to quincy.... "belden town" says the sign. they had a few little mini festivals each summer, and i found those to be cheaper, more fun and more laid back than HSMF. no big name bands, but you get to camp in the shade. last time i was there a DJ played on the beach and i set a hammock up in the river.

camp mather is a phenomenal venue as well... but i've only been to an electronic music fest there. tons of fun but i had to leave a day early because one can only tolerate 24 hours of dubstep for so many days!

now i live in the PNW and "summer meltdown" is my favorite little riverside music festival. how many glaciers can you see from quincy?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: