Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 181 project pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Nice looking engine Kevin.
I have to say that your fuel pressure gauge would make me nervous as a cat; thinking about things that might go wrong on those long drives.

Maybe it's just me, but when I'm all alone in the middle of nowhere (and the music is not a'blastin') my mind wanders toward losing a bolt, or an oil hose, or some other kind of surprise.
I suppose I have been very fortunate so far.
I hope to see you guys in North Carolina!

With me I find myself listening to strange noises, speed up, slow down, what is that noise? It never occurred to me to worry about the pressure gauge, well not until now. Rolling Eyes
The worst (so far) was losing a rear wheel bearing in an old dodge RV six hundred miles from home. That was many years ago. It took every cent and credit card I could scrape together to have it fixed, and stranded me in a cabin in the north woods of Wisconsin for a week.(ok that part was good)
We're very much looking forward to North Carolina, we have all our reservations! Not hardcore we'll tow the Thing behind the camper (not the old dodge, it's been gone a long time Laughing ). I did drive a Karmann Ghia to West Virginia once, if that gets me any street cred.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

The normal synclink system works on a stock Thing shroud with no issue. I have since swapped out my old worn out 010 with the larger Magnaspark setup from CB, and still no clearance issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When I upgraded my pedal assembly I went with the X-celerator kit as well, although it was the first gen without the spring and improvements this version has. I also upgraded the clutch shaft to the one with the hole in the end that takes a special clutch cable with a bolted end.
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Thanks

Nice engine compartment!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
The normal synclink system works on a stock Thing shroud with no issue. I have since swapped out my old worn out 010 with the larger Magnaspark setup from CB, and still no clearance issues.

When I upgraded my pedal assembly I went with the X-celerator kit as well, although it was the first gen without the spring and improvements this version has. I also upgraded the clutch shaft to the one with the hole in the end that takes a special clutch cable with a bolted end.

Cool! I was afraid to go with the regular synclink without knowing for sure, it's so close. In the end I'm happy with the one I got because of the way I routed the cable. The spring on the x-celerator is actually what drew me to it. I realized watching their video it returns the pedal on it's own, taking some load off the carb springs, which addresses my original problem. Cool paint on the engine, that's neat.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I decided to saw the front part off my center console, as it was frequently offending my foot.

Before:

After:

I also installed a rubber floor mat over the center hump, I used one for '60 to '62 beetle and cut the floor part off.

It doesn't reach the front on this side, as there's no footrest, but I don't mind (too much).

In the back too.

All tucked in for our trip to Spring Thing near St. Louis next weekend, combined with a couple nights camping. First show and camping this season!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Oooooo shiny!

I thought I would give the Vintage Speed exhaust a try. Once again repeatable two day shipping from Taiwan, it blows my mind. I'm looking forward to the weekend!

I had them send this and a few other things along with it. This is for a different car though. I've always had trouble concentrating on one project at a time. Wink Oh look a squirrel...

Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Nice!
I have that exhaust sitting in a box also.
Hopefully it’ll be on a car very soon
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Hyatt181 wrote:
Nice!
I have that exhaust sitting in a box also.
Hopefully it’ll be on a car very soon

Cool! I'm hoping it will be a tiny bit quieter than my existing exhaust, we'll see.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Ok, today is Vintage Speed day at my house. It's a real holiday. Rolling Eyes I removed the old Thing Shop exhaust. I've had to repair it a couple times, a crack in a bracket and a crack in a pipe where it doubles back and is tacked to the inlet pipe. It has been perfectly serviceable though.

Here's the Vintage Speed muffler installed. It is noticeably quieter than the Thing Shop system, I'm really pleased with that, I was hoping. Notice the pipes are not centered in the bumper openings, the Thing Shop exhaust was like this also. It could be the bumper but I think it's more likely a reflection on how straight I welded the rear clip on the car. Or not. They don't touch so it's all good.

I'm also looking forward to adjusting my valves with perhaps my fingers, rather than profanity and sheer force of will.

In case anyone's wondering (I was wondering) there's plenty of clearance with the Maxi 2 filter pump.

I'll take a moment to point out my tool explosion on the floor, no amount of good intentions ever prevents this, size of the pile is directly related to complexity of the project.

I also found this breather oil fill thingy in my Vintage Speed box. I had no good reason whatsoever to buy this thing, but well there it is. I wish I could weld like that.

I have a plan to modify and reinstall my trailer hitch. It should work out well but I think I'm done for today.

Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

It’s funny how those extra parts fall into the packaging especially when there’s 10% off. Smile
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Hyatt181 wrote:
It’s funny how those extra parts fall into the packaging especially when there’s 10% off. Smile

Exactly!
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Most exhaust systems we have installed including stock we had to put a piece of pipe into the tailpipe to move it a little to center.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Most exhaust systems we have installed including stock we had to put a piece of pipe into the tailpipe to move it a little to center.

Interesting. The Thing Shop mufflers have a separate little tailpiece that I could kind of cheat to the center. I could cut and weld the new ones but I hate to mess up the pretty polishing. Pretty welding runs about 50% with me. Shocked
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

New boxes, time for a new adventure! Don't ask me why, there is no why.

I couldn't wiggle the rear tin back in with the extra pulley, so this happened:

I should buy a new one, this one still has the heat riser holes in it. But you know, If you can't be with the tin you want, love the tin you're with. Or cleave it in half. Whatever.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Oh dear.

Pretty much daily I think of something else I will need or want, the boxes are piling up. It doesn't help that I keep changing my plan, however it is normal for me. I'm also getting a respectable collection of parts I'm not going to use. This also is normal Confused .

Started on this end. It makes no sense how long it took me to do this.
This is all new territory for me, it's all part of the fun.

syncrosimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Wow, great work. That pipe crimping tool is amazing. That might be one of the tools that gathers dust for a bit till a new project comes along. Thanks for posting. 😎😎👍👍
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

syncrosimon wrote:
Wow, great work. That pipe crimping tool is amazing. That might be one of the tools that gathers dust for a bit till a new project comes along. Thanks for posting. 😎😎👍👍

Thanks. You're right of course, there's a good chance I'll never use the crimper again. The truth is I really like buying tools, it's a thing with me.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Kevin-
I expect to see you cool cats come July where the rocks are flat and the Things are many.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Kevin-
I expect to see you cool cats come July where the rocks are flat and the Things are many.

Absolutely, it's a plan. We already have campground reservations set for the trip, I just need to mail my registration form. We'll hope we're all a little cooler than last year. See you there!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I made a little more progress today. Every step has been a kind of wrestling match, I think it's the universe incredulous that I'm air conditioning a convertible dumpster. Or it might be lack of skill.

Here's what's going on in here:

This is a Gilmore kit that I'm installing... differently. They advertise an evaporator for the Thing that extends the width of the dash, but it's incompatible with the stock gas heater outlet. This evaporator is one they keep on hand for speedsters. I originally tried it flush with the face of the dash but it was a little close to the knees getting in and out. A little set back allows plenty of leg room.

This is the condenser assembly supplied. This is supposed to tuck up under the rear torsion tubes and bolt to the lower bolts on the side torsion covers. It doesn't fit due to the extra gusseting under the torsion tubes. I tried lengthening the mount points but it ends up hanging four inches below the car. Nope, won't do, can't have it.

I don't think the guys at Gilmore know it, I probably should tell them. Don't get me wrong, they were great on the phone with details and shipped my order immediately. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.

After several false starts involving an array of extra special sketchy ideas I settled on this one. I cut a hole in a Thing Shop skid plate I had previously installed then removed (another story).

There goes my rock crawling career. This part of the project is kinda fluid. I'm only using one of the two condensers, but it's up front in the air stream. I think this will work (the voice of inexperience is loud). I have four different size fans to choose from, this one is currently winning, subject to whim. We'll see.

I also decided to work on the hosing bit. Let's start with what I discovered is a looks easy but actually hard part.

More of this but without the bench top vice.

Looks like nothing, but this did not want to bend in this shape. The lower curve is against the natural bend off the roll.

Above the rear shock. Yay rivetnuts!

Through here. I need to get some undercoating in there.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: