Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a long hiatus, back at the Ghia.

Since the last post in May, I have twice listed the Ghia to sell it, and twice refused to actually sell it once interested parties made me offers. The second time, only a few weeks ago, I received an overwhelming number of offers.

It still sits in the barn.

I think I will keep it.

So this weekend, I removed and organized everything, all the glass, hood, rear deck lid, etc. and all remaining interior parts and began removing the body. I am still waiting for door braces... I want to make them but sold my old welder and am waiting to find an excellent MIG welder used on Craig's List or Kijiji.

So, I have removed all the bolts I can see or know of... still it won't budge. I read online that to remove the CONVERTIBLE there are an additional two bolts "one on either side of the luggage tray." For the life of me, I cannot find these bolts.... does anyone have information to share? I would be really thankful!

A picture would be wonderful.

Thanks!

'71 Type 14 Ghia - Slightly less major project

'67 Type 14 Ghia - Drive-able project (sold!)
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my build thread which is listed in my sig. I had the same issue so I posted pics of the bolt locations. I hope this helps.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing... thank you for the picture. Thread is interesting too.

You car is in considerably better shape than is mine. I have rockers, heater channel etc to fix on mine. Lots of fun.

I am also doing a resto-mod and will be putting a 2.0 liter FI bus engine in my Ghia. Like you, I will try to make most of my mods reversible.

You also have a convertible top skeleton and two bumpers... that puts you several thousand ahead of me!

Thanks again...

PS. I have bookmarked your thread.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. (Major Update pending>>>) Reply with quote

So, I am back at it. After several years away from this project, I am finally getting at it.

I now have a '67 Ghia coupe on the road. That done, I am going to attempt a complete restoration of my 1971 Ghia vert.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance tomorrow. The Ghia is now body off, down to the chassis with the front beam off, and tranny out.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress. I have purchased new full floor pans for both sides. I will be purchasing a new 2" narrowed beam as soon as I have the floor pans welded in. I will be (likely) converting to a rear disc brake system and will be putting 5x130 drilled rotors all around.

My goal now is to have much of the chassis rebuilt by the end of the summer but that may be ambitious given my work schedule.

I have lots of pictures and will post when I can get some time to get them off my phone.

Also, interesting how many unique tools a person collects when attempting to work on old air-cooled VWs.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Also, I am going to do something I rarely see people do on these types of forums.... namely, attempt to be transparent with regards to costs. I want to provide others with some idea of what it actually costs to restore an old VW like the one I have.

I expect this restoration project with take a number of years and I don't expect much change from $20000 Canadian. I won't throw money at it and will try to save where I can but I want a quality car when I am finished. I hope to build it for less with as much of my own work as possible but will farm out any work that I am frankly not able to do.

Any comments are encouraged and help will be greatly appreciated.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

HolyRoller wrote:
The '71 Karmann Ghia cabriolet is one of my favorites. Get 'er done! Smile
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
HolyRoller wrote:
The '71 Karmann Ghia cabriolet is one of my favorites. Get 'er done! Smile

Get the cabriolet going !. Coupe's are like condoms, You're grateful for having the experience , But its just not quite the same.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I am going to do something I rarely see people do on these types of forums.... namely, attempt to be transparent with regards to costs. I want to provide others with some idea of what it actually costs to restore an old VW like the one I have.

I expect this restoration project with take a number of years and I don't expect much change from $20000 Canadian. I won't throw money at it and will try to save where I can but I want a quality car when I am finished. I hope to build it for less with as much of my own work as possible but will farm out any work that I am frankly not able to do.

Great idea and I think many will help keep watch on your wallet. Get the pics up Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

I agree , 71' is a great driving Ghia .
Enjoy your project and keep the pics coming .
Zappafan428
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Hello fellow Canadian. Looking at the pics you posted, that's not thick primer, it's body filler. Get yourself a lot of sanding discs and take her down to metal. You can keep the cost of the build down by doing as much yourself as possible. Making up custom interior panels isn't hard or expensive and will fit the bill until you come across the stock interior parts you want. Where I live I don't see a lot of Ghia parts coming up for sale. This is a great site for information and for parts. If you're patient you can keep it within a realistic budget.
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

A few update pictures. The car has body off. Working on getting it down to just the bare chassis. Almost there. I have sheared off a few bolts in the rear suspension, hopefully a little heat etc. and they will be out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Started with this.

Body off. Chassis is a mess. Off with the front end.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Couple of pictures of the rear mid-disassembly. And a couple of the sheared bolts. Evil or Very Mad Tanny is out, rear half-shafts out. only the supporting arms left and that is because of the sheared off bolts.... also... who has a 17mm hex socket lying around!?!? Had to buy a set.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

I will post some pictures of the new pans, and the chassis completely bare once I am at that point.

After that, clean the sticky crap off the chassis, blast it, weld on new pans and then possibly undercoat the chassis or LineX or ????

Anyone have any experience with LineX on a chassis? I have heard it is virtually indestructible. What about POR15?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, what about replacing the fuel line while I have it down to bare chassis? Can or should I run a line exterior to the tunnel? or can I run a new line down through it? I will really need some advice on this.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Oh no!!! What have you done! Laughing Very Happy
I remember when I got to this stage wondering just that. To what I had committed myself (and time and money)?
Well after some time I know what it was all about and for your sake I'm pleased that your instincts had you resist twice parting with the project. Stick with it and ride the journey to the end. If you need encouragement just vist this site to top-up your enthusiasm.
Bon chance
Nicholas
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Quote:
who has a 17mm hex socket lying around!?!?

You dont need one, you simply weld a nut to a 17mm bolt, then use your choice of ratchet or hand wrench. They do sell 17mm allen/hex head for your socket.

Quote:
After that, clean the sticky crap off the chassis, blast it, weld on new pans and then possibly undercoat the chassis or LineX or ????

Cut off your pans before blasting, you will have less to do less in the way, easier to maneuver too.
Your choice on coatings. Epoxy prime and paint, Por, Masterseries, Truck bed coatings, Rocker Shutz rubber coating.... The interior side is covered with carpet so really none will show.

Quote:
Also, what about replacing the fuel line while I have it down to bare chassis? Can or should I run a line exterior to the tunnel? or can I run a new line down through it? I will really need some advice on this.

From past experience, and not the good kind...I would replace the fuel line in the tunnel in its original orientation. Its the correct way. I would open the tunnel up and re-weld the 3 points that the clutch cable is welded in. I did the front and rear when i did pans...2 weeks ago the middle weld broke loose and I had to disassemble half the interior, cut open the tunnel, do the repair and close it all up. Was a several day job Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Cut off your pans before blasting, you will have less to do less in the way, easier to maneuver too.

^^^ Yup. It also makes it a lot easier to flip the chassis over on saw horses. This will make it so much easier to get at nether regions in the back of the chassis when blasting.

As to you comment on removing the tar-board-like substance on the chassis, a torch, a chisel or oscillating tool, a putty knife, a bucket, and a respirator will get you there from here.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Greetings!

As an update (pics to follow soon), I have my chassis pretty well stripped down completely, all seized bolts removed, new pans at the ready, and A LOT of new parts waiting to help complete the chassis.

I am stuck in debate with myself over whether to use a LineX or Rhino liner on the underside of the chassis or just use some really good strong paint. I will certainly not ever drive in snow and unlikely to see rain either so not sure if I need something massively durable.

Otherwise, I will be shortly putting together a bit of a list of parts and prices to allow others to gauge their own spending and perhaps figure out how and where to budget when rebuilding their own Ghia. I have not held back much and am spending money on the chassis. I don't ever want to have to tear the body off again.

Any thoughts on chassis options?

Matt

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

As a little more info related to the update, I have already purchased an entirely new front end for my Ghia. New narrowed beam, cross-drilled rotors, urethane bushings.... everything.

I have also already purchase EVERYTHING to rebuild the rear drive-line and suspension, including a disc conversion for the rear and an engine/chassis support kit (EMPI). I think it is called a Kafer-Cup kit.

I have new KYB shocks all around, and will be running stainless brake lines.

I should note that I am planning to put my 2.0l Type iv engine in this car which should be fun and challenging. I will keep my stock freeway flyer tranny I think although it will get all new seals and a good inspection before going back in. I am debating a powder coat of the tranny shell but that may not happen.

I will be putting all new brake lines plus a new master cylinder (dual circuit) to handle the four discs.

As well, I have purchased a HD sway bar for the front but not the rear. I think I may also grab one for the rear before I am done.

I have never built a vehicle like this front the tunnel up. It is exciting and interesting and a lot of work! I am, thankfully, in a position to afford to do this with largely new parts. I do not intend to spend money foolishly but want a virtually new (perhaps better than new) car when I am finished. I may only build one Ghia in my life so I am going to do the best I can.

I am sort of ashamed to say this but I am actually intending to build what will likely be primarily a garage queen. I have build motorcycles before and I think I enjoy building vehicles more than I do driving them! I have my Touareg will soon have an older Porsche for driving and touring about. I want this car to be drive-able but primarily a lovely, learning project.

Feel free to comment as you wish!

Matt.

(again, pics to follow shortly)

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

My $.02 based on what I INTEND to do based on research and feedback. I have no personal experience on which to base my comments bellow.

Based on your "Garage Queen" comment:

- Paint/Coat the Chassis and pans with 2 coats MaterSeries Silver MCU primer and 1 or 2 coats of MaterSeries AG-111 paint. Most people go with a black finish on the chassis but I an going to finish mine in Grey AG-111 for visibility when working under the car. Contact fellow Samba member Chick P ( vwsplitman) at http://MasterSeriesCT.com for the MS products and advice. Per Chuck, the MasterSeries silver is not a weld-through product so cover the welding surfaces when applying. Chuck also recommends aqpplying 2 coats of the silver primer, then applying seam sealer, and finally one coat of the AG-111 color top coat.

- Skip the SS flexible break lines and stick with high quality rubber ones. They don't look as sexy but they are easier to inspect and they will work just as well as SS lines for all but the most demanding conditions i.e. racing.

I will be coating my chassis at the end of December so I am rooting for you.

Good luck, we're all in this together...
Emil

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

HolyRoller wrote:
... I should note that I am planning to put my 2.0l Type iv engine in this car which should be fun and challenging. ...
That piqued my interest. Wink Are you planning an upright conversion? Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: