Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

crocteau wrote:
HolyRoller wrote:
... I should note that I am planning to put my 2.0l Type iv engine in this car which should be fun and challenging. ...
That piqued my interest. Wink Are you planning an upright conversion? Cool

Well, I am a way from making any decisions on this yet, but I am seriously considering a Raby cooling solution/conversion. I have the engine already. It runs and should not need a rebuild. I honestly haven't taken the time to do enough research on this yet. I am pretty committed to using the Type 4 as I like the power and reliability it should bring.

Though I say this may live a garage queen, I wouldn't be surprised to see myself driving it a lot more than I planned!

'71 Type 14 Ghia - Slightly less major project

'67 Type 14 Ghia - Drive-able project (sold!)
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

HolyRoller wrote:
... I am seriously considering a Raby cooling solution/conversion. ...
Good plan; it works for me! Smile
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Building it with a Type 4 only makes sense if you are going to drive it, a lot.
If it’s to be a garage queen, or seldom driven just throw a Type 1 in it, and save the money on the power plant.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Building it with a Type 4 only makes sense if you are going to drive it, a lot.
If it’s to be a garage queen, or seldom driven just throw a Type 1 in it, and save the money on the power plant.

Hey Jake,

Thanks for chiming in. I highly suspect it will be driven more than I think. I didn't think I would drive my 67 Ghia much but did until I sold it to build this 71.

I already have the Type IV engine. It is my understanding that it is a fairly low mileage engine, currently FI but I will likely switch to dual carbs. I would like to consider your DTM system if it is still being produced. I attempted to research on the Massive Type 4 store but I think website may be down.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

In addition to the previous post. I do not anticipate selling this car so I will be building it for me and for my use. I am not overly concerned about investing some money into a car that I am building to enjoy long term.

I am currently in the market for a 996 Turbo. This Ghia will be a 3rd car and will therefore only be out and on the road when the spirit moves so to speak. Even so, I want to have a car that drives perhaps as a Ghia should have done. The Type IV seems a perfect power plant for the spacious engine bay of the Ghia.

Thanks for the comments and any encouragement.

Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

I have your 996 Turbo covered, if you like Lapis Blue and want a Raby power plant..
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
I have your 996 Turbo covered, if you like Lapis Blue and want a Raby power plant..

That does sounds lovely... but I expect a bit out of my price range! I am looking for a Turbo with, maybe, 100k KMS (not miles) and with a few small mods like exhaust and perhaps suspension.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Good morning Gents.

Long time no post! But I am still at it. Just slowly. Pretty cold here in Ontario and not much going on in the Ghia project. I am about to get back at it though... and I have a question. I have done some research on this (see this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658674) but need some definitive advice.

The transmission coming out of my 1971 Ghia... is it significantly different from that of the late 60s tranny's? Would 71 have had the longer 4th gear by default and was that option even available in '71 (the so called "freeway flyer")?

Jut to clarify, I am aware that the IRS tranny started to be standard in 1969. I guess I am just wondering more specifically if the internals and cases remained largely the same and if disassembly is similar. I have a Bentley manual for the Ghia up to '69 and am wondering if I ought to buy the manual for the later models or whether the '69 instructions will do.

Visually, my tranny looks to be an original early 70s 4-speed. I am about to tear into it and change the seals, paint the casing, and generally make sure it is in good working order. Anything I should replace just do to age and type even if everything looks okay? I don't want to yank it out again once it is prepped and reinstalled.

You lot are an amazing group for friendly advice and ideas. Thank in advance!

Matt.

Last edited by HolyRoller on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

A couple of pics of the rear end. Tranny is not sitting in my barn. I will post pics later today as I am heading out there shortly to start disassembly. The tranny was SOOO covered in caked oil, it took a while to get most of it off. The car sat for more than 20 years after being hit in left rear quarter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Looking at that last picture... I think I may need a new starter! Ha. Poor old Ghia. It will live again! I promise!

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

HolyRoller wrote:

I should have known better.

LMAO!!!! This describes the beginning of every great thing that I have ever been through. Mary said yes and so did you Holy Roller. Settle in and enjoy the ride, it's all good. I love these lost cause saves.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

HolyRoller,

Looks like we are working on very similar projects. I also am resto-mod a 1971 convertible. Mine has much rust as well. Acquired/Started Memorial day, 2017.

Current status is fully disassembled. Body has been stripped of paint/bondo. Front half has been DE-rusted (rotten pieces removed) and epoxy primered. Now working on the back half.

Pan/Frame also had the "Fred Flintstone" floor board option behind the passenger seat (1' x 1' hole to the road). Pan has been replaced. New jack points mounted, about ready to take to Powder-coat. However additional mods have also been done to make room for a Porsche 915 transmission.

I have already acquired an engine, like you I chose a Type IV motor just to be different. However, mine is punched out to 2.8 liters.

I have acquired just about all the new sheet metal I need to replace the rotten parts. Heater channels, rockers, pretty much the entire lower metal from rear of one front tire all the way around the back to the rear of the other front tire. Doors and deck lids were all in good shape.

Rabbit hole... check
Money pit.... check
plan to keep it for myself.... check. Could never sell it for what I'm dropping into it.

Don't lose hope!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

NoDents wrote:
HolyRoller,

Looks like we are working on very similar projects. I also am resto-mod a 1971 convertible. Mine has much rust as well. Acquired/Started Memorial day, 2017.

Current status is fully disassembled. Body has been stripped of paint/bondo. Front half has been DE-rusted (rotten pieces removed) and epoxy primered. Now working on the back half.

Pan/Frame also had the "Fred Flintstone" floor board option behind the passenger seat (1' x 1' hole to the road). Pan has been replaced. New jack points mounted, about ready to take to Powder-coat. However additional mods have also been done to make room for a Porsche 915 transmission.

I have already acquired an engine, like you I chose a Type IV motor just to be different. However, mine is punched out to 2.8 liters.

I have acquired just about all the new sheet metal I need to replace the rotten parts. Heater channels, rockers, pretty much the entire lower metal from rear of one front tire all the way around the back to the rear of the other front tire. Doors and deck lids were all in good shape.

Rabbit hole... check
Money pit.... check
plan to keep it for myself.... check. Could never sell it for what I'm dropping into it.

Don't lose hope!

Thanks for the encouragement.

I am just deciding whether to buy a mild pro-street tranny or rebuild mine. The magnesium casing on my tranny is pretty bad so I need a new case at minimum. Problem for me is currency! All prices are in USD and the exchange is awful at present. I am leaning towards a new tranny... as I am going to put likely 150 hp through the old stock one and not sure how long that will hold up. With cost, shipping and exchange... it will likely cost me 2k Can$ for a tranny. That is a serious commitment.

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going to put likely 150 hp through the old stock one and not sure how long that will hold up

if you're not doing smoky burnouts they last a long time. We had two different 2110cc motors mated to stock IRS trans that have been running for several years, one in a beetle, and one in a super,Both have been run down the quarter mile a few times too. My fat 65 squareback has been running a 1904cc with a stock swingaxle 5 years now as a 3 season daily driver.

I too am sitting on a shopping list from the US because of the exchange, I thought it would hit $1.20 in feb , but it bounced back the other way.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

I too am sitting on a shopping list from the US because of the exchange, I thought it would hit $1.20 in feb , but it bounced back the other way.

You think you have problems with the exchange rate? I watched the South African rand (ZAR) go from being worth USD1.49 to USD0.08. Which is why most South African Ghias (RHD) were exported to the UK and Australia.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Funny, with most of my VW rebirths, I've always coveting England for their great part availability.

It is interesting to see the US as home to the Ghia mother lode!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Well, back at it. After a typical Canadian winter (and my hibernation due to un-insulated garage and workshop) I am finally back working on the Ghia.

This past weekend I sandblasted the tunnel/chassis... and primed it (temporarily) to keep rust at bay. I was about one bag short so will finish this weekend coming and then I will fit the pans and weld them in place. After that.... decisions. Por 15 or Rhino bed liner or perhaps something else durable. Not sure yet.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pictures to follow.

There are few things in this work as therapeutic as watching "new" metal emerge while sandblasting.

cwatts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Looks good compared to mine before I started - it can be done...

HolyRoller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Some pictures of my almost finished blasting. Note the numbers that were under the undercoat on the bottom side of the front end.

NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Into the Rabbit Hole..... 1971 Ghia Vert resto-mod. Reply with quote

Awesome blast job!

Applause Applause Applause

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: