Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels? Reply with quote

I'm going to look at tail light bezels for my '56 Saturday and the seller and I are not sure how to tell the difference between the early style two piece bezels and later one. He has a bunch of them but they all look the same, so can anyone explain the difference please?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels? Reply with quote

The early tail light lenses had a separate chrome trim ring while 58-59 Ghia lenses had a chrome metal ring that the lens was molded into (I believe newer repro 58-59 Ghia lenses have a plastic chrome ring?). You often see 58-59 Ghia chrome rings for sale with the lenses broken out of them and sold as the earlier style ring, though they won't fit because the opening is smaller. Aside from the smaller opening you can also tell the difference by a raised ridge on the inside of the opening on a 58-59 Ghia ring. If you had a milling machine I imagine you could make a jig and mill the opening in the later ring out bigger to fit the earlier style lens, though you would have to rechrome the ring (not very cost effective, but an option). If you need images to clarify the differences let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels? Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
The early tail light lenses had a separate chrome trim ring while 58-59 Ghia lenses had a chrome metal ring that the lens was molded into (I believe newer repro 58-59 Ghia lenses have a plastic chrome ring?). You often see 58-59 Ghia chrome rings for sale with the lenses broken out of them and sold as the earlier style ring, though they won't fit because the opening is smaller. Aside from the smaller opening you can also tell the difference by a raised ridge on the inside of the opening on a 58-59 Ghia ring. If you had a milling machine I imagine you could make a jig and mill the opening in the later ring out bigger to fit the earlier style lens, though you would have to rechrome the ring (not very cost effective, but an option). If you need images to clarify the differences let me know.

I met the seller today, he had I think seven total and all were one piece bezels. They are more square than the earlier style along with missing the lip you referred to.
If anyone has a two piece I could use it!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback

Last edited by Braukuche on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:03 am; edited 2 times in total
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels? Reply with quote

You need the 2 piece style, which if I read it right your seller has.

Picture of the back of the 2 piece ring/lense.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels? Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
You need the 2 piece style, which if I read it right your seller has.

Picture of the back of the 2 piece ring/lense.

Never post after enduring a three hour LA commute it does things to you brain.
I edited my post.
Yes, TWO piece as pictured is exactly what I need.
Anyone have one?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels? Reply with quote

For reference here is a 58-59 tail light ring with the lens broken out.

You can see there is a raised ridge round the opening for the lens.

Here is a detail of the ridge. If you have patience you can grind this ridge away and a 56-57 lens will fit, though getting the edges smooth takes some time and it will need to be re-chromed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between lowlight one piece and two tail light bezels? Reply with quote

I have a spare chrome ring I can let go, PM me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: