Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake adjustment question on my 65KG
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Brake adjustment question on my 65KG Reply with quote

After almost 10mos or rebuilding, I took my KG out today for a drive. Still not happy with the brakes though.

I had to completely redo the brakes -- new MC, new lines, new hoses, rebuilt front cylinders, new rear cylinders. Unfortunately, at the time I was buying the cylinders, I thought the car would be back running in a matter of weeks and I did not really have time to import good ATE stuff so ended up with JP fittings.

Since I was going all new, I decided to go to dual circuit with a 67MC.

I adjust the brakes to a drag then backed off 3 clicks per the blue book. Bled the brakes. Pedal was firm (but a bit low for my liking -- with it firming up after about a 33-40% of travel). No bubbles. All seemed ok,

When I took it for the first drive, on the road, the brakes dropped further.

So, came back and adjusted the brakes again -- left it at a slight drag. This improved it, but the firm point seems low to me -- still about 50% of the way thru (if not at tad lower).

Apart from my 67 Skylark vert, this is the only car I've had with drum's all around. Is the feel that I'm describing normal or should it firm up earlier?

My 71 vert has OG front discs and the brakes firm up earlier on that car.

I'll adjust again in the morning. One thing I noticed -- the front adjusters are turned out 4-5 full threads on each adjuster. The rear adjusters are oout only 1 turn. Are the front drums more worn? Or is this normal?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Brake adjustment question on my 65KG Reply with quote

Sounds like the Brake peddle push rod is too short, adjust it so you have 1" travel.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brake adjustment question on my 65KG Reply with quote

I thought I had adjusted the pedal for ~8" of travel. Just took a look and saw that I am an inch short. So, will adjust the travel and reset pushrod to have 1mm of play.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Brake adjustment question on my 65KG Reply with quote

After I adjust the brakes I always push the pedal down a few times to seat the shoes and double check the adjustment. Have you adjusted the e-brake too? If the e-brake is not properly adjusted it can affect the rear shoe adjustment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Brake adjustment question on my 65KG Reply with quote

Adjusted the brake pedal via stop plate to 8" to bulkhead. Then readjusted push rod length to 52mm to give 5-7mm of plat at pedal. All good now.

But, I had to also adjust the clutch as moving the stop plate left the clutch pedal with lot of play.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: