Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Woulda, coulda, shoulda!!!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Anybody know what the body number was?

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Ahh... I remember that car! I went to look at it in late 1998. It belonged to "Frank" in Texas. He had a lot of nice parts for it as well. The rumor said it ended up with Mac Jones in Tennessee...and he broke it up for the parts... but I am not sure. Very solid, definately a 46. I have the number somewhere...
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Yes!!! thats the one. The guys name was Frank. Funny how others had looked at it but passed it up for only $4,200.
The body number was 10184
earlier than the other ive seen out there, especially the Wayne Carini car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

So you heard Mac broke it up for parts? I dont think it was mac that bought it. I remember speaking to him about parts I was looking for to complete the car before I decided to sell it. Maybe it changed hands a couple times.
Sad if it was parted out. That wouldnt happen now days. people try to salvage an early split starting with nothing more than a heater channel and a VIN plate, lol.
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

SplitPersonality wrote:
Ahh... I remember that car! I went to look at it in late 1998. It belonged to "Frank" in Texas. He had a lot of nice parts for it as well. The rumor said it ended up with Mac Jones in Tennessee...and he broke it up for the parts... but I am not sure. Very solid, definately a 46. I have the number somewhere...

I remember that trip from Houston to Marble Falls, Texas to visit Frank!!
The car had had an oval rear window and two rear side windows put into the roof as sky-lights. They had been removed and the holes welded up.

Mike
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Wow, seriously? Lol. That would have been cool to see. So were you guys looking at it to buy or did Frank just have it for himself? I forget where it was advertised, but i bought it just from photos. $4200 if i remember correctly. Of course thats probably all it was worth at the time.....
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

I was trying to find a video for the whole episode but everywhere I look it's $1.99 an episode. After seeing this thread I get the last laugh though. This makes me wonder how incorrect other cars Wayne Carini tries to sell for top dollar are.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

6Kabrio7 wrote:
I was trying to find a video for the whole episode but everywhere I look it's $1.99 an episode. After seeing this thread I get the last laugh though. This makes me wonder how incorrect other cars Wayne Carini tries to sell for top dollar are.

Exactly. I've seen him bumble the correctness of other VW's and Porsches on his other shows -so I suspect an expert on certain brands of car, but outside of that, he's probably a good used car salesman.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

As long as there are people with more money than brains, there will always be a market for these oversold cars/used car salesman types. Nothing wrong with a car that isn't 100% correct, but paying a 100% price.

Just like televangelists, there never seems to be a shortage of these gullible people...... and other people to prey on them.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
p horvath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

he's got a 63 ragtop for sale right now that has many incorrect items.
it's listed for over $39k...it's a $12k car!
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

p horvath wrote:
he's got a 63 ragtop for sale right now that has many incorrect items.
it's listed for over $39k...it's a $12k car!
He has a super for $45K :fist:
patsey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

I looked at that car a number of times and I also went to the auction. I met with the owner at my shop he was looking to trade it for one of my cars. The 46 was a throw-in as part of a Dealership purchase so it was a non emotional sale for him. I made a pretty good cash offer for the car and the next day it went up on ebay. The auction ended early and the car was sold to a well known collector of Volkswagens on the other side of the pond. Most of you would know this guy he has some awesome Vws. He wanted the sale kept quiet so unless it was noted here I will leave it that way. Anyway, what some think is way overpriced and incorrect others may think its a value.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car? Reply with quote

this car was at brookline MA vw dealership for years, parked in upper level of gagage . it is now an Audi only dealership.
I tried to buy it in 2002 or so , not for sale.

I was told by a local vw enthusiast that it was a car that was part of the
oldest vw contest/promotion run by VWOA and was traded for a new bug in maybe mid 60's. The rear snow tires were the give away.

so, the car is in europe it appears
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: