Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

If anyone wants to see this car on auction at Bonhams a few months ago, the event has been preserved on the latest episode of Chasing Classic Cars starring Wayne Carini. The episode entitled "Beetle Mania" premiered tonight Nov 10th on the Velocity Channel
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
pink kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

^^according to the show, highest bid was $60k and didn't meet reserve. They later put the car on an Internet auction. It sold to a buyer in Ireland
Skramco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Wayne Carrini took this car to auction on "Chasing Classic Cars " on a November 10th episode, with a range of "up to $125,000 ". Bidding stopped at $60000 and he took it home. The test drive was a riot w/ mechanical brakes and crash box !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Skramco wrote:
The test drive was a riot w/ mechanical brakes and crash box !

What makes driving with cable brakes and crash box a riot?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Skramco wrote:

Maybe the fake drama for TV?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

DDub wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
Skramco wrote:

Ding!, ding!, ding!, ding!!!!, perhaps with a little of the same bias as this thrown in many years later? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641283

Both systems work fine when the person using or adjusting them understands them, someone used to modern cars will just fail on them in so many ways and it's always the designers or engineers fault.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pink kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

DDub wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
Skramco wrote:

Did anyone catch the line when Wayne said to Roger (mechanic) "Adjust the rods"
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Noe in Ireland? Are we sure? Reply with quote

A buyer in Ireland? Are we sure of that? I can think of one person who that might be, and I'll call him soon, to see if he knows anything about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
abelwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

http://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/chasing-classic-cars/videos/push-and-pray/
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
DDub wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
Skramco wrote:

Ding!, ding!, ding!, ding!!!!, perhaps with a little of the same bias as this thrown in many years later? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641283

Both systems work fine when the person using or adjusting them understands them, someone used to modern cars will just fail on them in so many ways and it's always the designers or engineers fault.

I've driven a cable braked, crash case tranny '49 from Northern Belgium to Hessich Oldendorf and the last 2 Bad Cambergs. 500+ round trip. It is different and you can't get complacent. I have told people that it is like driving a tractor, not a car. Properly adjusted cable brakes, for maybe the first 70% or so of braking power, are almost indistinguishable from hydraulic brakes. But if you really try to brake hard with them, they really suck.. I tried once to lock up the wheels on it be gradually pushing harder and I could not do it (with skinny bias ply tires no less). I thought I was going to rip the seat off the floor.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Crash box and cable brakes are just an acquired skill, added to the 25ps motor 6 volt lights and wipers you just have to learn to anticipate everything and hope that you don't end up in too great an emergency.

We, that is both Liz and myself, used a '49 as family transport back in the early '70s. That car you will see pictured in various publications during its later life displaying the plates TJJ 62 it has a chassis number of 1-101991 (now in Hawaii?).

One of its memorable journeys was from the middle of England via Dover - Calais to the Pon VW Dealership in Amersfort Netherlands for the first meeting of the then Split Window Club of Holland (in 1974?). That would have been a round trip of about 1000 miles.

Hopefully in the next couple of years we will be having the same driving experience in the '46 (not the '46 that started this thread) when the restoration is sufficiently complete to have the car on the road. The target is for Hessisch Oldendorf in 2017, fingers crossed.

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Doesn't the race car he bought from Bill Rutan still have cable brakes?
56Agave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

pink kitty wrote:
Did anyone catch the line when Wayne said to Roger (mechanic) "Adjust the rods"
Wayne doesn't know shit about cars.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

The talk of the the 46' in texas and ohio caught my attention. I owned a 46' in approx 1998-99' that i bought in texas. I cant remember the town. It was on the wrong pan, and some other wring stuff, but had many NOS parts with it. It was missing the VIN plate too. Only had the body number to go off of. #10184.
I sold it shortly after to i want to say someone in Ohio?? I have never seen or heard the whereabouts of the car since. Would love to know where it is now. I of course deeply regret selling it. But at the time, $6,000 was the going price.
Ill try to post pics in case someone knows any info. There cant be that many 46's in the states that it hasnt surfaced.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

46 last seen oklahoma, now in ????
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rod_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Very doubtful that's a '46, the heater control is much later.

If it's a '46 body then it has been been put on a later chassis??

1946 Beetle (Back on the road after over 50 years! Last major outing - Hessisch Oldendorf 2022)
2016 T6 Selfbuild Camper and a LWB MAN TGE in build.
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Telephunken wrote:
The talk of the the 46' in texas and ohio caught my attention.. It was on the wrong pan, and some other wring stuff, but .
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

rod_vw wrote:
Very doubtful that's a '46, the heater control is much later.

If it's a '46 body then it has been been put on a later chassis??

Definitely a '46 body. He said that it was on a later pan in his post.It has a later front apron on it but all of the body details that I can see says that is is a '46.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

Yes, wrong pan, wrong front apron, later rear apron, etc.; but it had a super solid body, correct gas tank, rear traingle W deckild, gas tank, etc.; also came with (not pictured), correct semaphores, speedo pod and speedo with large switches, popes nose, three spoke wheel, front L hood handle, NOS correct headlights, football mirror, window cranks, etc; i cant remember if the seats were correct or not. But of course the pan wa the big "missing" piece.
I would love to know where this car went....
It was either Ohio or Iowa.
The top was in primer because somebody had cut a sunroof in it at one point and the PO repaired it.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bonhams auction for 46 Split - does anyone know this car Reply with quote

More pics...
NOS headlights with correct glass..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: