Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel line and dual carb setup..
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revdimara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

Got my first VW need help. This is how I got it. Looked all over for diagrams but the closest I got was for fuel injected,but mine is dual carbs.It looks like two fuel lines coming in one on each side and one with pressure regulator.need help with how to run the lines.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

Revdimara wrote:
Got my first VW need help. This is how I got it. Looked all over for diagrams but the closest I got was for fuel injected,but mine is dual carbs.It looks like two fuel lines coming in one on each side and one with pressure regulator.need help with how to run the lines.[img]

[/img]

Welcome. Looks like the PO (Previous Owner) started a FI to carbs conversion, then stopped. So, what you have is an unfinished job. First, the line with the red circle is a fuel feed line, but will need a reducing fitting, as it's currently 5/16ths (or 8mm), while the carbs are 1/4 inch inlet fittings. This means you'll need a couple of feet of 1/4 inch hose, a "T" fitting, and some clamps. In a pinch, you could redo the feed hose from the pan (probably a good idea too), then add in a plastic VW air cooled fuel filter (as it has reducing fittings built into it), then run 1/4 inch hose up to the "T" fitting. However, you're going to have to make choice: mechanical or electric fuel pump. If you go electric (your old one is probably still attached to the front beam and is too high of pressure to run the carbs on), and swap it with a Mr.Gasket brand 42S that's available at the Zone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, Advanced, Carquest, and other good auto parts places. If you choose to go mechanical, then you'll need to take the original FI pump completely out of the system, and hose directly from the tank to the pan up front, then you'll need the bakelite fuel pump base, generator style fuel pump push rod and pump. Now that re-sized hose I mentioned above, from the fuel filter it'll go to the input side of the fuel pump, with another hose going to the "T" to the carbs.
Ok, now on the 2nd red circle, the the FPR for the FI, That device and the hose out of it behind the tin wall can be removed (just chop the hose off about 5 inches from the pan edge and plug it, Up front where it comes out, do the same thing there, as someday you might need that line, and by plugging it, you keep it clear and available for future use. If you have the fuel tank drained, then go ahead and do something similar to the return fitting on the fuel tank.
You'll also want to add a "balance tube"of 5/16ths hose between both manifolds, to help the engine run smoother.
The electric AAR (round device next to the distributor on the right) can be removed, and it's red wire disconnected, as it's part of the FI system.
You might want to look around the engine bay for other FI bits that can be removed at this time.

I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

Oh, I should mention that there's probably more than what I mentioned above to do, but that should get you closer. Use the distributor you currently have as well, but add a piece of 3/32nds hose to the left carb from the vac can on the distributor, rather than trying to swap to an 009 (the 1 you have has a better advance curve).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

Here is a photo from my gallery showing the original factory carb set up on my motor. The main fuel line is not visible because I removed it to change to new lines, but you can see the balance tube Bob mentions and the stock style mechanical fuel pump.

1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

This will give you the basics. This is how my engine looked when attempting to get it out of storage, so the lines are not routed properly, and the gas is coming from an IV bottle, but it shows everything needed for fuel line.

The green line is the supply, here, an IV. This line would come from the tank, over the trans, and enter the engine room, lower driver side, and into the fuel pump.
The yellow line is from pump to "T" fitting.
The red line is on each side of the T, one to each carb.

That's all you need (fuel wise) to get it going.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Revdimara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and pics that helps a bunch I was racking my brain for a day truing to figure it out,you guys have been very helpful. Back to the drawing board I go.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

You have to put a tee in your vacuum line & run vacuum to your automatic transmission too to get it to shift properly. The hole in the firewall for the vacuum line to the automatic transmission is near the fuel pressure regulator, but separate from the fuel return line to the gas tank.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

you will need a sync tool to get your carbs correctly .Bobnotch advises setting the left one first then adjust right to it. worked for me.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel line and dual carb setup.. Reply with quote

Rex lucy wrote:
you will need a sync tool to get your carbs correctly .Bobnotch advises setting the left one first then adjust right to it. worked for me.

That's how VW suggests to do it too. It's been working for me for over 20 years doing it like that.
That's like some people like the snail type of synch tool, while others like the unisyn tool.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: