Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ambulance Fan Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
After some experimentation i found a process to dye it brown. What do you think?

Perfecto! I sure hope you have the correct ratio of tin to lead as OG solder was.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

In my post above i had made a mistake. The harness has two heat shrunk areas. One to protect the wire as it goes by the motor. Maybe for heat or maybe for wear from vibration. The other is where the wire goes through the housing.

That second one i had placed too far down the wire and had to re-do. It should be about 1/2" from the end of the first.

I got my first two motors completed and mounted into their mounts.

What do you think? Almost as good as the NOS on the previous page.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Above is the heard waiting their turn.

I sent my OG SWR face plate off to its new home today and am awaiting the exchange piece that i can paint Beige Grey. Glad the the OG SWR found a great home.

Next up to repair the fan blade from a motor i found in Norway. The exterior of this motor is really rough but i got lucky in that the blade came off with a little work and the insides are in remarkable good shape for the condition of the outside. Motor still ran but the harness wire was totally shot and fan has three bend blades. Looks like it was dropped.

Will rebuild.

Marching on.

Oh ya..... I tried to get the right solder ratio Barry but sometimes you have to compromise.... Smile

Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

The bent up fan above is all fixed now. Not even sure which one it is anymore. All six fan's are done. They all work but two need some fine tuning as the slightly rub.

I made a trade for a new face plate. My original paint SWR plate will find a home in a SWR bus and in exchange i got a plate that i could re-paint.

That plate is now painted and ready to go.

I had a small step backwards on the knob so finial assembly and installation will have to wait a little but i am almost done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Man, your work is a pleasure to follow. Excellent detail & nice write-up.
I bet if you made a few extra of these... there'd almost certainly be some willing buyers (cough, cough... my hand is raised)

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

haha....

When i am all said and done i will make available in the classified some of my handiwork. For sure the decals and the harness. Unlikely the spring as i doubt many are crazy enough to dig as deep as i am. I am also working on another piece if it turns out well.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Nice one. I have an Ambulance fan too sans the blades, motors and its housing, The Cover and switch are all I have. Thanks for sharing your Fan Resto!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=280

Thanks
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Man, your work is a pleasure to follow. Excellent detail & nice write-up.
I bet if you made a few extra of these... there'd almost certainly be some willing buyers (cough, cough... my hand is raised)

...me too, and I'm the lucky guy that traded ambulance fan covers with Matthew. Great original SWR paint cover with patina, which should eventually make it's way into my June '59 OG SWR paint DD Panel Bus. If you make any extra fan motor wiring harnesses, please let Evan and I know!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

The next step in this Saga.

Before i get to that though I am working on making available some harnesses. I have the material in hand and already dyed. I also have the stickers ready.

How about the knob? Wonder if there is interest in that. Even if there is not i know i have a broken one and a NOS one. Hmmmm......

Pretty good match. Color is not right but i am testing with Smooth-on 300 resin to learn how to pull parts without bubbles. I have black and white Epoxy resin arriving today for the real deal. The Epoxy will survive the heat of a car.

I had to fill in the back side of the handle. Too many bubbles that i could not extricate from the mold. It could be milled out after molding but i am not sure i want to go through that trouble.

Below is with the red lens and metal backer installed and then installed in the switch base.

Your feedback is welcomed.

Matthew
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Those look great.

How difficult was it to remove the original metal center piece?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

The original metal center piece and the red lens came out easy on mine. The metal is a wedge and light reflector for the lens. I used a pencil eraser to push out both lens and metal together without much effort. Certainly nothing i felt would damage them.

I am looking at casting the lens too but the metal piece i have no way to stamp.

Matthew
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

Your feedback is welcomed.

Matthew

HI Mathew I would recommend you look at getting a pressure pot, you can pick up second hand paint pressure pot cheaply and with a little tweaking of the ratios it will allow you to de-gass the material completely before curing, its ideal for small items...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you otahuhu. I am looking into that. With the 300 resin i usually poor there is no time to degass but this epoxy has a long pot life so another item to source.

Below is the first black pull. Turned out good.

The White epoxy is back-ordered so a few more weeks for that.

Matthew
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Anyone reading this thread have a NOS or used Ambulance fan knob they want to sell? Large or small diameter switch housing as long as it is a three position original unit. No need for the knob or bezel. Not interested in the newer four position units.

Thanks.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Very interesting rebuild thread.
Any idea what are the CFM for the fans?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Thank you.

No but that is a good question.

I do not know enough about calculating CFM to know if you can figure it out with RPM and blade pitch/count.

I can tell you though that it is anemic at best. Smile Really only good if you are sitting in the car parked and you want some sort a light breeze.

Matthew
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Probably perform similar to some of those 120mm DC fans found in computers, some of them put out really high CFM for their sizes.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:

I can tell you though that it is anemic at best. Smile Really only good if you are sitting in the car parked and you want some sort a light breeze.

On the 12V versión I have the output is really strong..
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Some more updates.

I am restoring an fan for a customer. Have gone through the motors, replaced and rebuild everything including harnesses and cleaning up the spindle. Restored the housings, plated the fasteners and new decals. Nice to go through a whole unit at one time. I will post pictures when i am done.

One of the things i had to learn was how to repair the switch. One of the rivets was drilled out or broke at some point leaving the the switch loose and unsafe.

See the nice tilt?

Right side is the broken side.

So lets take it apart and fix it. First off what is inside?

Pretty basic. Housing, switch, light bulb, three contacts and six springs. Of course the housing has other parts riveted to it. I did not take that apart. Cleaned everything up and then asked myself "how to put it back together. "? I have used screws in the past for light switches but why not make the rivets?

Using 1/8" x .014" wall brass from K&S metals i stuck the tube in the lathe with about 6mm sticking out. I then chucked up a center punch in the tail stock. Setting the lathe to low RPM's and with plenty of lube i drove the punch into the tube using the center punch feature to flare the end of the tube. I then cut the tub off at 12mm long. New Rivets.

Chucked up.

Flair it.

Back it off

Cut off.

After that i put the switch together with the flare on the metal side of the switch. I stuck this in the mill with the rivet and metal part of the switch down against the vice and with the rivet on top of the vice jaw. I chucked the center punch into the quill and pressed it down over the un-flared end of the tube in the back side of the switch. The punch flared the other end of the tube and riveted the switch back together. (Sorry no pictures)

Super pleased with the results. A fully functioning switch that is now nice and tight.

After that i thought i would finally finish up my own personal Ambulance fan that started off this whole adventure.

I went from this....

to this.....

Now to get it installed into the bus....

Matthew
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Super pleased with the results.
Uh, yeah... bravo Brother.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ambulance Fan Restoration Reply with quote

Wow, awesome work. The OCD side of my brain just peaked.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: