Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurst Shifter
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

I have a Hurst Shifter that I used for a 65 Bug. It worked awesome. I took it off and installed it on my 70 Bug. The shifter goes into reverse gear without having to use the trigger. I have to "find" first gear. Anyone know how to fix this? or is this shifter not made to be installed on later bugs???
houseofboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure it's in neutral, loosen your bolts and adjust. Are you using an additional plate beneath the shifter like the one that comes with the hurst style EMPI shifter?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My '74 SB Build On The Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=609943

Our Web Site: http://www.kentuckyhotwheels.com

1968 VW Beetle
2012 Turbo VW Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hurst Shifter Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
I have a Hurst Shifter that I used for a 65 Bug. It worked awesome. I took it off and installed it on my 70 Bug. The shifter goes into reverse gear without having to use the trigger. I have to "find" first gear. Anyone know how to fix this? or is this shifter not made to be installed on later bugs???

What is the condition of the shifter rod bushing in the 70 bug?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the bushing when I bought the bug. And I'm not using any plate like empi style. I think the hurst already has a plate pre-installed. I didn't use a plate when I had it on my 65. It almost seems like the shift rod is maybe out of adjustment but it only goes back in one way after changing bushing. And the block bushing is fine. No play.

There is lil to no adjustment when I loosen bolts at base of shifter. The holes are smaller than the stock shifter. Is there an internal adjustment in the shifter?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. If your shifter worked without issue in the previous car but same shifter does not work in the later car, one might rule out the shifter. When using a shifter that has a "tighter pattern" I believe the shift bushing and the coupling need to be in top shape. This may also go for the front trans mount. I have seen shift rods that have been cut and welded so please factor this in. If you are close to be then pm me and maybe two heads together are better than two heads separately.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. If your shifter worked without issue in the previous car but same shifter does not work in the later car, one might rule out the shifter. When using a shifter that has a "tighter pattern" I believe the shift bushing and the coupling need to be in top shape..

I thin this is his problem too.
My car worked perfectly with all the 4 speeds I had in it. Worked with several shifters. Then I put a Berg 5 in it and couldn't get all the gears all the time. Since I custom modifed a Hurst to work with the 5 speed, I was concentrating on that as the culprit. It ended up being the shift rod bushing inside the tunnel. Changed that, everything works perfectly now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there a hurst shifter made for EARLY and LATE model bugs? I don't know if there's a difference. Like the scat drag fast. They have shifter for early models and different shifter for late models
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
Was there a hurst shifter made for EARLY and LATE model bugs? I don't know if there's a difference. Like the scat drag fast. They have shifter for early models and different shifter for late models

Post a photo of your Hurst shifter. Confused

02/76 Beetle sedan
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
Was there a hurst shifter made for EARLY and LATE model bugs?

There were, but the difference is all above the mechanism. Early is curved, late is straight.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a curve. So it must be made for early bugs. Any input?
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the curved in late models, works well with my height and clears everything...
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of a working Hurst shifter.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get yours to work on late model bug? Mine goes in reverse without lifting trigger. Like there's too much movement. Could the rear shift coupling be installed wrong? Couplings are in good shape. When I pull the trigger, shifter will not move all way to left cuz trans rod will not go that far. Because it's already far enough to go in reverse. Am I doing anything wrong?
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
How did you get yours to work on late model bug? Mine goes in reverse without lifting trigger. Like there's too much movement. Could the rear shift coupling be installed wrong? Couplings are in good shape. When I pull the trigger, shifter will not move all way to left cuz trans rod will not go that far. Because it's already far enough to go in reverse. Am I doing anything wrong?

Try putting a spacer between the shifter and the tunnel. Like the one in the photo.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the original Hurst instructions:

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurst shifter owner manual. Smile

http://www.isepix.com/LCsportsbug/Hurst.Saf-T-Trigger.Shifter.for.Volkswagen.pdf

02/76 Beetle sedan
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between an early and late shifter? Besides the bend? Does it have anything to do that I have an early type shifter on a late model bug????
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early one is curved, the late one is straight. However, the curved one fits all cars better. Then Hurst realized that and made them all curved to the end of production.

Another difference is the thickness of the top nylon block. They saw the thin block used on the bottom was too weak for the top, so they made the top block different (thicker) to make it stronger.
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what does that have anything to do with shifter not working properly on a 1970 bug? I really want to use this shifter, and not go chinese Confused
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
But what does that have anything to do with shifter not working properly on a 1970 bug? I really want to use this shifter, and not go chinese Confused

Try installing your Hurst shifter in someone else, 70 & up bug,thing,ghia?

02/76 Beetle sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: