Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where is my thing from!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joviality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: where is my thing from! Reply with quote

Hi! just recently received my title back in the mail for my 73 Thing and there is a code on there saying it was not originally for US distribution? I know they were mostly from Mexico but is this on all of them? and how would I go about finding out ...if that's possible? Very Happy
Thanks!
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to know is getting a birth certificate since obviously yours didn't come with historical documentation. If the code on the title is in error, I'm not sure what difference it makes as to whether it is worth the hassle of dealing with your local DMV. I'm not aware of any state that has any provisions on a car dating back to 1973 (not counting micro-cars and some other oddities that were never street legal or became that way at some point.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told that at the end of the vin under the back seat the letter E meant for export. Suppose to be for US. Don't know for a fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the speedo in MPH or KPH? The tag under the bonnet will probably say Hecco in Mexico so maybe it was supposed to stay there. I remember that "grey market" cars were a big deal back then. These were cars not up to US specs. Just a guess/thought...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: