Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Two hole and three hole rear view mirrors
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Two hole and three hole rear view mirrors Reply with quote

I have an '87 Vanagon with rear view mirrors that have two mounting holes. The stems are cracked and the mirrors flopped around in the wind. I got them in the correct position and used super glue to keep them from moving. They don't move if they are hit and are likely to break completely if they do get hit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have a set of rear view mirrors with three mounting holes and would like to replace the fragile two hole mirrors with the three hole mirrors.

The top two holes are the same for both sets and the three hole mirrors could be mounted with only the top two holes being used.

My question is:
Is there a third nut in place on the inside of the panel of the two hole door? Could I mount the three hole mirrors and drill through the panel at the third hole and be lucky enough to just use another machine screw. I'm sure that I could use a sheet metal screw to accomplish this, but I'm trying to avoid a hack.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably help: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525661 . Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a nut behind the sheetmetal. You could drill the hole then hold the phillips head machine screw with a nut but you need a helper to hold a wrench on the nut or you could try a nutsert if you have that available to you. I have done it both ways and I wouldn't go back to the floppy mirrors.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tool.

Snap on nut setter.
Drill, insert nutsert , squeeze handles, put the tool away, install mirror.
Done, and bullet proof.

Or you can mount the mirror with a sheet metal screw, or drill & use a machine screw, washer,& nut on the inside of the door

Whatever trips your trigger.

I have the nutsert tool, I mounted the power mirrors on the doors that way.
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend this 'tool' ... $15 at GoWesty buys the 'tool' in the top of the picture and, as I remember, 6 of the rivets. It requires a 25/64 drill bit. Emplaces a rock-solid rivet mounting point in your door. I used these to mount my LT mirrors. Not hard to install at all.

This is what the rivets look like when set:
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAGNABIT

I pulled the rearview mirrors from my Vanagon shell in Hawaii and brought them to SoCal to replace my floppy super glued mirrors on my SoCal Vanagon. I bought rivnuts and researched their installation. Was about to remove the two hole mirrors and install the three hole mirrors, but the Hawaii three holers were immovable from twenty eight years of Manoa and Kaneohe rain and would not budge with a pipe wrench.

I assume that VW has a special tool for adjusting the tensioning nut. Does anyone know of a source to borrow this tool or a suggestion of another tool to do the job. I could probably make the tool myself but at this point I'd rather be driving with super glued mirrors than cutting and filing.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tangojeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Use a lock nut Reply with quote

It is not very hard to just use a lock-nut on the lower mounting screw. That way nobody can easily steal your more valuable mirrors, without having access from inside of the door.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: