Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Door seals. Which ones?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin- My blue and white 72 now has had the WCM seals on the front for about a year. They went on easy with minimal adhesive. Fit like a glove. I got them from Avery's who keep a set in stock.

I am so impressed that I bought a set including the slider, which is the hardest to fit, for my 74 hightop. Now I'll get the rear seals for both from them too.

I guess you could say i'm satisfied.

Going to Woodburn?

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the "OEM VW" seals from Bus Depot and they are so offensively bad that it's amazing. I had read that the door would be difficult to close, but with those seals installed the door WOULD NOT close. At all. There was a rock-hard black section of rubber near the lower hinge that just wouldn't compress at all. It took hours of work per seal to sand/cut/grind that section down to get the door to even latch. And even then the door is like a loaded spring. 3 months later the passenger door seal tore. Anyone making and/or selling those seals should be ashamed of themselves.

It also grates on my nerves that parts sellers say things like "well your old seals had the doors slammed on them a million times!" Yeah? And? There wasn't some poor bastard on the VW factory line whose job was to slam doors a million times so the seals fit on the dealer lot. I'm pretty sure the new seals fit just fine at the factory. So why the hell don't seals I buy today fit? How hard is it?!

I now need to buy new door seals again because what I bought is absolutely awful and torn, and I just don't want to deal with it.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully my bus gets painted this summer and I'll be putting all new seals in. I already bought them all and I got those spliced German deals from Bus Depot.
Do you guys think trimming a couple mm off the side you insert would help at all before installing them? If trimming where should we trim?
Also wouldn't be opposed to trying out Fairview's trick he mentioned on the last page...

At any rate the money is spent and no way BD takes these back. Even if they did what else are you supposed to get? Gotta admit the Brazilian one in my driver's door isn't too shabby after 2 years. Still gotta close the door hard but it's not torn up yet and has been keeping the water out. Plus only $20...not 4x that for basically the same issues....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to trim new seals from the gitgo, why even bother? It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer 'cause it feels so good when you quit.

The door seal that took the most time and just jumps at you like a Cobra when you take the rubber bands off is the slider seal. I found that carefully pre-fitting the seals and making a plan payed off when it came time to apply, thinly, the adhesive (use the yellow 3M, the black looks like shit and you're gonna get it on something before you can get back to it.) I applied the adhesive to both the channel and the seal. Prepping the channel surface before installation is important too.

The failures I have seen on friends' cars over the years has been not properly seating the seal in the channel.

I'm no expert, just a poor chump that did this a couple of times and witnessed the effects of it done poorly a few times.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Lulu wrote:
If you have to trim new seals from the gitgo, why even bother? It's like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer 'cause it feels so good when you quit.

Mainly because there is no alternative and the old seal leaks water into my cabin. I'd rather fight with the seal than weld a new floor in. My two cents of course....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had trouble with "oem" German seals. I did have problems with Brazilian seals.

Adjust your doors with the seals removed to the Bentley parameters. Door adjustment is about its location in the opening. Do the striker plate adjustment at this time as well, and scribe the position discretely. If you have decent wedges, the door should not rattle even with no seal installed.

The channels really do have to be completely clean of any old adhesive. The seals have to seat fully in the channels. The lower corner at the front of the door has this big ol' radius that can be a problem spot if you do not babysit the adhesive setting up. The seal wants to climb up that curve.

Install the seal with no adhesive except for the non-channel areas. Just tack the seal on here with temporary dots of adhesive.

If you have a lousy hard shutting door, try to find the areas where it is tight and dremel off the inside surface of the seal in a very gradual approach and departure. Use a dollar bill pull test. A properly compressed seal will allow you to pull a dollar bill through, either direction, with a bit of a tug.

The common tight spot for me is the front lower corner. If your car has been hit and pulled out, expect trouble.
Colin
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Brazilian passenger front door seal that came w/my bus. Um, yea.. what a POS.. I plan on repainting the bus in the near future and will replace it then.

I then bought a Wolfsburg West "German" seal for the drivers door. It fit perfectly and the seams are bonded well. The only issue is it was just too thick and I had to really slam or shut the door very firmly. It's been about 6 months now and it's getting pretty close to being decent to shut now. I didn't have to adjust anything, only shut the door hard when new.

I agree with the others. Its pretty sad they can get the seal shape so good yet can't get the right rubber consistency correct like VW did when these bus's were new.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is everyone trimming the seals for thickness?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J L Barton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to have to do front door seals and rear hatch seal on our bus. She leaks like crazy.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread makes me laugh. Laughing

you don't think vw adjusted the doors at the factory to fit the seals? hell car manufactures to this day still have a "final process" section where they adjust fitment of doors/panels/lids/latches/etc due to seals and whatnot.

just tossing new seals in and expecting them to fit 100% perfectly with no door adjustment is hilarious...doesn't matter who made the seals and how minty your bus is you're going to have to adjust to fit.

went with WW and with proper adjustment and yes, some slight seal trimming i have a very tight fit...as i'm sure they were probably that way originally from the factory. i am very pleased with them and i'm sure they'll break in over time and continue to give me a nice seal for years to come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
this thread makes me laugh. Laughing

you don't think vw adjusted the doors at the factory to fit the seals? hell car manufactures to this day still have a "final process" section where they adjust fitment of doors/panels/lids/latches/etc due to seals and whatnot.

just tossing new seals in and expecting them to fit 100% perfectly with no door adjustment is hilarious...doesn't matter who made the seals and how minty your bus is you're going to have to adjust to fit.

went with WW and with proper adjustment and yes, some slight seal trimming i have a very tight fit...as i'm sure they were probably that way originally from the factory. i am very pleased with them and i'm sure they'll break in over time and continue to give me a nice seal for years to come.

Confused

I have to disagree somewhat. do you think for 1 minute vw or any other car manufacturer would let a stiff, difficult to open door that stands proud of the body pass a final inspection?

the doors on my camper built over 3 years ago have finally gotten to the point where they are decent. honestly, I am at the point in my life where I would pay 3x the current going rate for shit that 100% fit the first time.

I had to shave my door latch down...yes door LATCH on the passenger side of my deluxe because it blasted into the B post. that is unacceptable, period.

the seal was so thick in the front of the door it pushed it rearward. as most of us know, bus doors adjust in, out, up and down. there is no fore and aft adjustment. what the fuck was I going to do, grind 2mm off the hinge or the door mount on the A post?

it is absurd to pass this shit off as quality. then let's say you have a customer paying you to install them. you'd better have a sit down with them and tell them it could take an hour to install, or 4 hours...and the door will be stiff as hell. but it's ok mr.customer because it's ok to pay me xxx.50 per hour and have poorly closing doors, it's just the way it is. how do you think that would end?

how much do you want to bet that if you told a customer that, they would be all over the samba buyer/seller feedback or google reviews saying what a crook you were

in the end, I am happy with my campers door operation now over 3 years later

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

it is absurd to pass this shit off as quality. then let's say you have a customer paying you to install them. you'd better have a sit down with them and tell them it could take an hour to install, or 4 hours...and the door will be stiff as hell. but it's ok mr.customer because it's ok to pay me xxx.50 per hour and have poorly closing doors, it's just the way it is. how do you think that would end?

I am happy with my campers door operation now over 3 years later

I was fully warned of this buy my mechanic that's why I opted to have him install them so I wouldn't F-it up and get pissed. So, he warned me and it came out looking and operating just like he said they would. 3 years you say, that's about 6 months of DDing? I can handle that.

Even thought my doors are proud now the seals work better then not having them, which was the case with my driver door.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich, it's sad that we have to accept this. I don't care if you are driving a concours d'elegance car or some rat. they should fit.

in the summer, I DD my buses, but having 3 makes it so one is only driven a couple days. that said, keeping them closed speeds up the process for sure.

if I am at a show/camping and the front doors stay open for a while, the seals puff back out and it's back to square one but seem to settle back in pretty quickly.

I don't know what the real answer is to the problem. they fit the door fine, but just way to thick.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
J L Barton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out and adjusted my doors in at the top, which is where the water was rushing in at. Suppose to rain more today so I will check it then to see if it's better. Going to add new seals to my list of things to order.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Bus Boys front door seals about 8 years ago and they work great. They don't have the molded corners but keep out water and my doors shut very well.
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree somewhat. do you think for 1 minute vw or any other car manufacturer would let a stiff, difficult to open door that stands proud of the body pass a final inspection?

no, they don't...and it's like i already said that's what "final process" section is for. and if you think the guys in that section only rely on the adjustments from the automaker to make it work, you're wrong. to say they get creative is an understatement.

now i get it, there are those that just want to bolt and go. good for them. i truly hope they never get into panel replacement as we'd see a ton more threads about how poorly gerson/ww/etc metal fits.

i don't care what it is and how much i just paid for it...i fully plan on working the crap out of it to make it fit correctly should the need arise. i don't expect anything to work right out of the box in regards to things of this nature. way too many variations and factors at work to make it a task that requires no tweaking. imo to think so is asking way too much.

i'm just happy to see that there are different suppliers when it comes to something as simple as door seals so we all have something to complain about other than the lack of the part lol.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirited Shocked
Thanks for posting up expectations and experiences.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 8ish years my WW seals still fit tight and I have to have the doors sitting a bit proud to get them to open and close well. I messed with what adjustments there are many times in the first few years and eventually gave up and decided to live with the crappy fit. The worst part is that I have had a whistle off and on on the driver's side ever since the present seals were installed. I don't have a clue as to what causes it either. I have taped the door shut inside and out and the whistle will still be there. Sometimes with the opening and closing of the door the whistle will disappear for weeks at a time but all too often it is just there ruining my Transporter Bliss.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The Veewib seals have finally broken in enough that with a minor door and striker adjustment they are tolerable, still bugs me they don't work right out of the bag but they do seal and fit nicely, door only sits 3/16" proud at the back as of now, hopefully in a few months I can solve that too. Still pops open with attitude when you unlatch, load on the trigger doesn't seem excessive but I did do a full latch rehab at the same time as the seals went in so it works like buttah.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mlesniak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vewib? I think im at the right website haha ...

http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/shop/search.ph...&scat=

let me know. do you have any pics of the vewib seals? are they all chopped up or one piece?

also does vewib have good window seals, or should I buy window seals from another supplier???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: