Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I too have noticed some threads seem like trolling..

c'mon. it's the new model of the skinny jean hipsters that can't get answers from other skinny jean hipsters on facebook.

this thread has gone on for a loooong time, hasn't it?

Its why I stay out of a lot if these chasing "gremlins" fuel injection threads.

As soon as I see the OP:

1. Continually trusting a mechanic who is obviously a hack

2. Refusing to EXACTLY follow through on a chain of events testing....keep skipping steps and de-validating every test that was done already.

3. Refusing to buy test tools, stop random parts swapping and refuskng to measure and post specs and pics.....

I tend to walk away. Though I would be the first to admit that I have stayed away from L-jet for enough years to say I am rusty in the memory.....in 9/10ths of these cases if ai could magically transport myself to the location for free.....I could do the diagnostics on every component in about 2 hours.

The D-jet guys are worse.....its statements like:......"no....I cannot measure or check that part.....first....the book (from 1968) says its not user servicable.....and it was made by q German engineer.....and I'm scared"..... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ray

Ain't it the truth!!!!!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I REALLY appreciate your help and you are just as frustrated I am.

It's been a multi-year endeavor to try and get this thing "reliable" so I can use it and camp. It's 7/15 and the Summer is once again clicking away, but hope to finally get this resolved.

There's been a LOT done and have to be down to the final item(s). I've gone soo far as to have the geometry measured and push rods cut to proper length by a racing company! Almost everything has been replaced and brand new and why very frustrating. It sucks to have had multiple (experts) in the engine, MONTHS at a time with them, and still not resolving the root issue...poor gas milage and not running right at speed and idle and assuming whatever it is a rich condition.

I've taken it to an exhaust company and had a bung welded on and addl O2 sensor installed and bought a unit to measure air fuel ratio and rpm. Soo, there's no question, I'm trying and spending a lot of month and just not getting it resolved.

I have NO problem hiring Colin (or someone) if they can get it fixed. However, when I inquired before, it seemed some folks were out of the state even and would need to be coordinated, but had found a new tech/machanic and closer than the last, so waited to see if they could solve it yet. If we can still coordinate something...I'm all for it!

As far a pictures, I'm a little bewildered!! I thought I had someplied them previously and also recently with URL links to my Google Drive Cloud!!! Is that not correct? I will need to check and if applicable, supply more.

I agree, as indicated, we need a systematic approach and the manual is it. I'm currently following along and have already posted some significant results on readings thru the harness as well as things such as confirmation of the AFM and engine temp sensor (which was replaced last year as the old one was confirmed not working and reading like 20k ohms and super cold condition!

Moving forward, let me take photos, let me read and confirm the photos and information you supplied, and follow the manual. With your support, hopefully we can get this resolved and understand exactly what the hell was the issue and has been for years!
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Along the top of the page is a tab called gallery...

Drop down to add photos

Give it a name, select the appropriate category

Choose files from your computer or simply walk out to your bus with a camera phone from the last few years, take said photos and the thenly select them into the page

Push upload.

Once they are uploaded add a post to this thread. Below the text box is a link that says 'insert photo from my recent Gallery photo'

Click each insert button for the photos...

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

I have not read through all of your thread. And I don’t mean to throw more fuel on the bonfire of money that you have already spent. Perhaps you have already done this but if you have not it could be what is causing every mechanic to chase their tales. Being that your FI wiring harness is 40 years old. You can check continuity all day long with the harness removed. Things will appear to be just fine. But when the engine compartment gets hot, the engine vibrates, and the engine itself gets hot that harness can have wires in it that most likely have cracked insulation. The entire FI system electrically is dependent on the harness working flawlessly. You could have multiple wires when heated causing one or several of the components within the L-jet system to perform eradically or not at all. If you have not replaced the harness with a new one from Kyle I would strongly reccomend doing so. They are not cheap but if your going to hold onto your Bus it’s money extremely well spent! Just a thought.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

equinox wrote:

I have NO problem hiring Colin (or someone) if they can get it fixed. However, when I inquired before, it seemed some folks were out of the state even and would need to be coordinated, but had found a new tech/machanic and closer than the last, so waited to see if they could solve it yet. If we can still coordinate something...I'm all for it!

Colin will be in Detroit on the 27th for an appointment. Don't know if he'd have time to fit you in, but it wouldn't hurt to find out. If anyone can figure out what's going on with your bus it's Colin.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13546
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

THall wrote:
equinox wrote:

Colin will be in Detroit on the 27th for an appointment. Don't know if he'd have time to fit you in, but it wouldn't hurt to find out. If anyone can figure out what's going on with your bus it's Colin.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=13546

Touching base with Colin was the first reply in this entire thread (2015), and here it is again in 2018. There's a reason for that.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

equinox wrote:

root issue...poor gas mileage and not running right at speed and idle and assuming whatever it is a rich condition.

I have NO problem hiring Colin (or someone) if they can get it fixed.

I will need to ask a few questions before committing to the below:

a) moneyback guarantee

b) mandatory half-day $320.00

c) YOU have to perform repair

d) to heck with bungs and sensors - we ask your engine directly what it wants

e) you don't get 19.4 mpg on my watch, you get 15+/- for best engine temps

f) July 26th 2:00-6:30PM.

Feeling lucky, punk?
Colin
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Hey Colin

Yep, I'm down. I want my bus running....right. Everyone says you are the dude to do it.

Book me for the date and time indicated. I'll book 1/2 day off from work. We'll do it together!

Robb
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

equinox wrote:
I'll book 1/2 day off from work. We'll do it together!

What if you discover major demons that require more than 1/2 day to rectify?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Very Happy

Love your service ethic Colin!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

"I will need to ask a few questions before committing to the below: "

What are your questions?
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
equinox wrote:
I'll book 1/2 day off from work. We'll do it together!

What if you discover major demons that require more than 1/2 day to rectify?

Stay tuned . . .
Colin
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Any parts that may be good idea to order ahead of time??
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Today's the day!

Looking forward to meeting Colin and figuring out what's up with the bus.

Bus in garage and garage all cleaned out yesterday. See you soon!
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

equinox wrote:
Today's the day!

Have a pot of coffee and a notebook ready for the standard IAC initial consult on the days goals.....good luck.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

Good luck.... after all this time, not sure if I'm rooting for something major or minor to find

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Good luck.... after all this time, not sure if I'm rooting for something major or minor to find

I am rooting for nothing more than to provide equinox the knowledge to easily and confidently tweak the adjustments necessary to keep the engine happy. He will see/hear/feel what a happy engine is like, and he will catch what an unhappy engine is like.

My last "fail" was in Naples FL Fall 2016, we could not get his engine to behave. Nothing helped that poor thing.
But I did tell him, "tear this engine down, your camshaft appears to be off."
Well that is fricken crazy to claim with the engine builder himself standing there, right? I had to wait a week or so to get the follow-up PM. "darndest thing, that camshaft was off, must have put the gear on one bolt hole off . . . "

I pray for nothing of the sort.
Colin
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

equinox wrote:
Today's the day!

I might need to show up early, like an hour?
ColinSuchAWeek
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

POST! POST!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Q: Tuning Air/Fuel Mixture on 1977 Bus with Fuel Injection Reply with quote

DRUM ROLL...………………………………………….

and the winner is...………………..????????
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: