Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus won't idle right
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1970VWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Bus won't idle right Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1600SP engine, with a 009 distributor and a Solex 30 PICT-3 carburetor.. The problem is, I can't get it to idle at 850-900 rpm, it always dies when I try to get it that low.. I think I have the timing set right, but I'm not sure.. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to time this 009.. Can anyone give me some tips or some things to check? I really need to get this thing to idle correctly.. Thanks alot.
faster-laster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off if you have your 009 timed to max at about 30 degrees at max advance (most references I have seen call out at 3500 rpm). That's where your distributor should be set at. You can now eliminate that from the procedure (although you will still have some hesitation from the 009).

The other 2 things I can think to check are a vacuum leak and carb misadjustment. First check for any vacuum leaks w/ a leak you will never get a good idle (and the engine will run much hotter). I am assuming that the idle will not hold when the engine is fully warmed up as well. Take some wd-40 and spray here and there listening for an increase in rpm. that will indicate a leak. Also check the carb to manifold mating as well as the fuel cut-off solenoid (which recentley gave me some trouble)

I only have 34pict-3 carbs on my vws, so condult your bentley to make sure of this. I believe the initial setting of the idle and volume screw are the same. consult here for an example of setting the carb http://www.type2.com/library/fuel/34pict.htm

good luck.[/url][/code]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="faster-laster"][quote]

Sup Jason! You going to be at HCBF this year?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970VWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I can get it to idle at 1000rpm, just not 850-900.. When I get it that low, it dies.. So it's possible that's a vacuum leak? Well.. I guess I'll take your advice and check for leaks.. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: