Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weak electrial
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Weak electrial Reply with quote

The Thing seems to be barely producing enough electicity for my radio, and the amount of power generated seems to be directly related to how much I'm revving the engine. My generator is only a few years old, but if I'm not mistaken, the '74 came stock with an Alternator. Would getting an alternator help, or does it sound like I need a new wiring harness? If I need an alternator, is there alot involved with replacing a generator with an alternator?
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generator was stock. An alternator would help solve your problem. Have you checked your voltage regulator? It is normal for a generator to produce more at higher RPMs. Why do you say it isn't keeping up? How do you know it is charging, etc.? You could have a regulator problem, wiring problem, a battery problem, or a generator problem. There are service manuals that tell you how to determine which it may be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get out your multi-meter and check the output from the generator to make sure it is actually genning enough power. if that checks out then, as edgy says, work your way through the rest of the system. If your Thing isn't running a stereo and amp and additional lighting, etc., then the stock generator should be up to the task. Check your ground straps, and the voltage output from the battery as well. This might be a good time to get out the sandpaper and dielectric grease and clean ALL connections and the fusebox as well. It's amazing how much better the stock electrical system works when the current doesn't have to fight through crud and corrosion.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: