Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decal Reference Thread
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Decal Reference Thread Reply with quote

I was looking to get accurate decals for my car and found that the couple that I ordered were not quite there. So I thought I could start a thread where we could post decals from various sources compared with original and that may aid us towards the most accurate version.

Glove box sticker comparison (from 71 Euro 1302LS vert) vs WCM (I think)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The font is close, but the original is more bold font and the spacing between the letters is also different. Also, note the rear tire pressure for half load is different vs. the original.

CIP version (downloaded from their website). Font is very different. Pressures for half load are same as WCM and different than the original in mine.

Original gas flap sticker

The font here is slightly different from the font in the glovebox decal. Note the difference in "G."

I'll add WCM 67-71 airfilter decals next, but I don't have originals to compare with. Please post any references you have.

Thanks!
Byas

Last edited by bnam on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. Have noticed so many font variations between originals and reproductions through out the past 15 years. Sometimes they'll show up more accurate.. other times you can tell the details are off.
As you have noted - glove box door and gas flap stickers are mainly the culprits.

(pretty much speaking for myself.. I can live with most of them being a little off.. so long as they're reasonably legible. Laughing )

Here's a Fan Shroud sticker that Samba member waxhead had faithfully recreated. My photo doesn't do it justice, but thought they are accurate..

oemwolf
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The commonly available airfilter sticker/decal sold as 67-71 has center justified text, while the brochure pic on this '71 shows left justified text.

Is there anyone with original decals who can post theirs for reference. Brochures can be misleading sometimes.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
The commonly available airfilter sticker/decal sold as 67-71 has center justified text, while the brochure pic on this '71 shows left justified text.

Is there anyone with original decals who can post theirs for reference. Brochures can be misleading sometimes.

The repro air cleaner decals commonly available lack the part number in orange lettering you see beneath the orange rectangle. Would be boss if someone made a batch of those. I almost spent $100 or more to get an NOS 71 oil bath from the Philippines just for that part number detail. Then I snapped out of it Laughing
Anyway that seller had some nice pics that showed the decal but the ad is now gone. Jaime Rodriguez I think....something like that. Maybe they still have the pics, but it's pretty clear from that photo already posted.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are fan shroud decals from other years, not just 74. Will have to confirm. A friend has a couple shrouds with those still in good shape on the shroud.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd like to get these decal reproduced more accurately. All the research I've done so far indicates that the commonly available aircleaner decal is completely wrong for the cars. I think they were based on bus decals from earlier year but I've not confirmed that.

The ones on my list for reproducing -- (one which I believe are not reproduced accurately enough for me)

Glove box
Fuel door flap
aircleaner
aircleaner part number
paint (at least I've not found a good version of L31F iberischrot)

I don't know if the shroud sticker is accurate or not.

Byas
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't count on that 71 brochure as a reference, notice the funky PDSIT looking carb (probably a dual port pre production prototype)
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
don't count on that 71 brochure as a reference, notice the funky PDSIT looking carb (probably a dual port pre production prototype)

That is pretty much dead on what the NOS one I was going to buy looked like. Really wish I'd saved the picture at least. Orange rectangle with part number in orange lettering underneath. I've seen some around here that have this decal in pieces. Mostly they are gone/painted over.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:

Not using that picture as the only reference. But, looked thru several. Actually all the owners manuals from 67 till '72 show the air filter decal with left justified text. I've seen some clear pictures of the text in other photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: