Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

US to BC Canada Import: Vehicle Inspection (CVSE0013)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: US to BC Canada Import: Vehicle Inspection (CVSE0013) Reply with quote

Hi all.

I've read that a US vehicle imported into Canada (BC) needs to pass a vehicle inspection.
This (downloads and opens small file):
www.th.gov.bc.ca/forms/getForm.aspx?formId=1146
shows the inspection categories.

Has any BC located importer had a vehicle fail this inspection?
If so, was a reasonable amount of time allocated for repairs?
Would a Vanagon fail for a coolant leak?

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Neil:

Ask at an ICBC outlet for the list of garages that are approved for the import inspections. There is one garage downtown just off Pacific Avenue who did my inspection. He has the forms on hand. The inspection fee was $75. With your US title in hand, your bill of sale, the US CBP vehicle export sheet and the mechanical inspection form, you can go to any ICBC outlet and get a BC vehicle ownership registration.

Anything that would be a safety concern would result in a fail, but my inspector told me to come back the following day to show him my front turn signal bulb was indeed replaced, and then signed the inspection as a pass. YMMV.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the BC Inspection for mechanical worthiness (I get mine done at Strawberry Hill Automotive - a good mechanic)

Then you need the Federal Inspection (Canadian Tire has a license) and they'll give you more paperwork and a sticker in the door jamb on the Subaru.

Take all that with your sales receipt, title/ownership and US Export Papers to ICBC and you're good to go.

Pretty painless, really. I've imported two Vanagons and a Subaru. It was easier to import before the Department of Homeland Security added the Export Permit layer but still easier than filling out a B3 Form at Customs to import bass parts! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Howesight.

Reading further, thought maybe 15+ year old vehicles would be exempt from an inspection (due to being RIV exempt) but based on your reply, I see that's not the case.

My concern was that if I brought up a Vanagon, and it failed inspection, it might have to be sent back to the US. But it seems to me one would have to overlook something like a rusted out frame for that to happen. i.e. repairs cost more than vehicle is worth.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jake.
Ok. So it's two inspections.
Gotta love paperwork.
Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a safety inspection, so no cracked windshields, holes in the exhaust, worn mechanical components.

The vehicle must also conform to Canadian Ministry of Transport standards as regards lighting, speedometer markings, etc. A US market Vanagon is a walk in the park.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: