Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct floormat Color for black 64 vert
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Correct floormat Color for black 64 vert Reply with quote

Well, my 64 vert is going back to black, it's original colour...so looking for any original interior photos, and does anyone know if the floor mats were black or grey? Thanks, Bob
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COTC shows 045 gray black for the mat color which looks like the standard color for all of 64
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same color as the gray mat in a 63 vert? Thank you for your post..Bob
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COTC shows that as being graphite gray 040
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AzBrewCrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is making the best stock style floor mats? I have a 1962 and am looking for stock mats.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, what is COTC? ... I am not familiar with this...from your comments so far, I will bet that the 64 mat color is darker than the 63 mat color. WW sells an Anthracite gray paint that is a dead-on match for the original ebrake grommet that I glued and repaired in about a dozen places to save...it is a darker gray and may be close to the 64 mat color...anybody out there have a 64 with original mats?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's talking about J.T. Garwood's book The Car of the Century. It's a home-published book from 1987 that documents most of the changes to the Beetle over the years. I asked for and received a set of the books (1930-60 and 1961-80) for Xmas or birthday back around 1990 I think it was. Back when we both lived in Fort Collins, I would lend them to Rick when his shop needed to look stuff up. Then after I moved to Wyoming in 2001 I loaned them to Rick indefinitely. A few years later I reclaimed them... and Rick tracked down and bought his own copy of the 61-80 book.

It's a good book, it does have some omissions and the occasional error here and there, and I think some of data on the mid 50s & older color charts have issues, but the later stuff is quite good.

Garwood's family had plans to re-issue a revised and expanded version of the book in an electronic format a few years ago. But they were worried about piracy, and they weren't able to come up with a workable way to sell secure copies of it, so it never happened. They started a website but I don't think it's been updated for several years. http://www.vwcarofthecentury.com/

The original emergency brake boot was also Gray Black in 64, as was the gear shift boot and the escutcheons for the seat belt mounting holes, and the kick boards under the back seat. And yes, it is much darker than Anthracite.

Anthracite paint is one that changes depending on the lighting - and vinyl in that color is a bit off as well. The heater slides are one item that is not listed in the COTC charts, but I'm pretty sure they were the same as the gear shift and e-brake levers. A while back I went to repaint the ones in my Baja bug (which I had added to this 61 body) and found I had them from two different years, one was Anthracite and the other Gray Black, and I took this photo comparing the two colors on the back sides of them:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In my 62, I had repainted the heater slides back in the early 90s with code-mixed paint, and I took this photo comparing it to one of the ones I had painted with the Wolfsburg West spray can paint. Oh, you can just barely make out the floor mat here, which is a Wolfsburg West one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Andy
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, actually now I am embarrassed ... I have the two Garwood binders! It is funny that I did not make the connection , and do not know why I didn't think to look up the information in there...I used to use them all of the time when I bought them back in Denver in the late 90's... And now they sit in my VW library and haven't opened them in quite a while. I guess I have developed too much of a dependency on the Internet. I am bringing this car " back to stock" and the PO had modified it in good taste, but quite a few things were replaced with aftermarket stuff as well what was available when he built in in the early 90's... Thank you for your post!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copies sit on a shelf about two feet away from my computer mouse... Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: