Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer/Cable
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Speedometer/Cable Reply with quote

So I took my new to me '73 Thing for quite a long journey this weekend and she did amazingly well. Midway through the weekend, I started to hear a little squealing sound behind the dash. I determined that it was the speedometer or the cable. I figured the cable might need to be lubed. I could reach down and jiggle the cable and get the squealing to change or sometimes stop. Then I heard a little noise like something fell behind the dash and the speedo stopped working. I assumed the cable unloosened and fell off the back of the speedo, but when I opened it up, it was still connected. I unscrewed it and drove, but the cable didn't turn. Now...I guess the cable broke and I'm hoping the speedo didn't break along with it. I've searched the forum for detailed instructions on replacing the cable, but didn't find anything. Can anyone explain this to me or show me some pics or video?

Thanks
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a simple R&R job... Unscrew from speedo, pull the E clip off of Drivers from bearing cap on hub, and fish the cable out... Install new one in reverse order....

Be aware, a beetle cAble is a tad too short for the Thing. Useable, but won't reach all retainers...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
It's a simple R&R job... Unscrew from speedo, pull the E clip off of Drivers from bearing cap on hub, and fish the cable out... Install new one in reverse order....

Be aware, a beetle cAble is a tad too short for the Thing. Useable, but won't reach all retainers...

The wheel part of the cable is what confuses me. On the inner part of front wheel, I see where the cable goes in and there appears to be a rubber grommet, but I don't see a clip? Do I just pull on that rubber grommet to release the cable?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the hubcap. You should see the "E" clip on top of the grease cap. Remove the clip and pull out the cable from the backside. Rubber grommet should stay in place.

If there's no "E" clip, and you see a square hole on the grease cap, there's a good chance that the clip fell off and the cable is no longer engaged.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Remove the hubcap. You should see the "E" clip on top of the grease cap. Remove the clip and pull out the cable from the backside. Rubber grommet should stay in place.

Gotcha. I removed the hubcap last night, but managed to miss seeing the E clip. I'll check it out this evening.

Thanks
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should look something like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when I do an online search for '73 Thing speedometer cable, most of the sites have it listed as 55" long and the part number that keeps coming up is ATP Y-888. From what I've read, the OEM part number is 111957801H and the length is 40"

I'm trying to find one with metal end that screws into the speedo
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing7 wrote:
So when I do an online search for '73 Thing speedometer cable, most of the sites have it listed as 55" long and the part number that keeps coming up is ATP Y-888. From what I've read, the OEM part number is 111957801H and the length is 40"

I'm trying to find one with metal end that screws into the speedo

Part number appears to be correct (111957801H). But the length is supposed to be 1275MM (50 3/16"). Cable and casing are sold together.

If you haven't already, you should download the parts pdf located in the technical section of the forum (Technical/Owner's Manuals/)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/thing.php
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my speedometer with a GPS one. So I have a cable I can sell you cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:
I replaced my speedometer with a GPS one. So I have a cable I can sell you cheap.

That's very kind! I'm going to stop by one of the local shops near me to see if they have one. If I can't find one, I'll let you know.

Thanks
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogman_94
Quote:

Can you show a picture of your dash?

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frogman_94 wrote:

Put me down behind Thing7 for that Speedo cable if'n he doesn't take it.
😉
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
liken127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question, Will the stock speedo work with the disk brakes?
I never gave it a though! If not what is the best thing to replace it
with?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liken127 wrote:
I have a question, Will the stock speedo work with the disk brakes?
I never gave it a though! If not what is the best thing to replace it
with?

Yes... The bearing cap is he same...(I am running front discs...)

Good closeup their Semper!! Beat me to it!
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school repair trivia. Roadside brake/bearing adjust/repair the speedo clip gets lost in the hustle and bustle of the work. A twist tie (like are used to seal a bag of potatoes) will keep your cable in place for countless miles.. Wrap the tie wrap around the groove in the speedo cable’s square shaft end. Then, twist the ends around each other. Lay the ends flat against the grease cap. I have run many miles with a tie wrap keeping the cable set...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a FYI,

Sometimes you may get a speedo cable with a tiny hole in the hub end of the cable. Use a cotter pin instead of the E clip.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:

Good closeup their Semper!! Beat me to it!

Something I found in the gallery. I think it's off a 4 lug Beetle. Same setup as far as the speedo cable goes.
Thing7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my new speedo cable and it turns out my speedo was seized. Thanks to some great articles on this forum, I managed to disassemble and fix my speedo. I used the link that was posted for a '64 speedo but had to figure a few things out since mine is a '73. The shaft that spins the magnet and holds the speedo cable was total seized and gunked up. Not sure if there is a write up on the '73 speedo repair, but if anyone has questions, I'd be more than happy to try and help.
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/Cable Reply with quote

Just for my own sanities sake...

My speedo quit working. I pulled the front hub cap off and everything is still connected on that side.

Is there a way to test if the cable has failed / broke inside the sheath? Since the speedo and the odometer are both not working, I am pretty sure it is the cable, but would like to check it somehow before ordering a new one. I kind of figured the wire inside the sheath would pull out?

jay
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer/Cable Reply with quote

1) Disconnect cable from speedometer
2) Jack up left front tire and spin, end that was connected to speedometer should turn as wheel turns.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: